• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Health Plan Cost for New Yorkers Set to Fall 50%

Donc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Hhmm...Must be a coincidence that this is happening now eh?:roll:

<State insurance regulators say they have approved rates for 2014 that are at least 50 percent lower on average than those currently available in New York. Beginning in October, individuals in New York City who now pay $1,000 a month or more for coverage will be able to shop for health insurance for as little as $308 monthly. With federal subsidies, the cost will be even lower.>

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/h...kers-set-to-fall-50.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

<State insurance regulators say they have approved rates for 2014 that are at least 50 percent lower on average than those currently available in New York. Beginning in October, individuals in New York City who now pay $1,000 a month or more for coverage will be able to shop for health insurance for as little as $308 monthly. With federal subsidies, the cost will be even lower.>

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/h...kers-set-to-fall-50.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

I don't believe it. It's that simple. Perhaps I will come back to this thread and apologize; but I doubt it.

I don't believe it. It's that simple. Perhaps I will come back to this thread and apologize; but I doubt it.

The story said many of these "bargain" plans are both new and Medicaid based. Beware of insurance ads that say "as low as $308/month" which means that rate is for a young non-smoker ONLY. Add the 3X factor for the elderly, the 2X factor for middle aged and/or the 1.5X factor for smoking and you then have rates of $924/month, $616/month and $462/month for "basic" coverage.

Officials at the state Department of Financial Services say they have approved 17 insurers to sell individual coverage through the New York exchange, including eight that are just entering the state’s commercial market. Many of these are insurers specializing in Medicaid plans that cater to low-income individuals.

Medicaid reimbursment rates are now so low that many clinics/doctors will not take those patients (my clinic will not).

What 'individual' pays $1000 per month for health insurance now? That's outrageous. I pay health care for a family of 4 for $695.00. An individual policy for me would be less than $200.

Why don't you believe it Maggie? Have you ever seen the markup/ sticker/ negotiated price of what the hospitals/doctors want and then seen what the insurance co ends up paying?

What 'individual' pays $1000 per month for health insurance now? That's outrageous. I pay health care for a family of 4 for $695.00. An individual policy for me would be less than $200.

High deductible? Any preexisting conditions? If any of preexisting conditions, what company is it?

my guess is that the safe auto health plans will be almost worthless. i don't think this problem can be solved with three levels of for-profit companies.

Why don't you believe it Maggie? Have you ever seen the markup/ sticker/ negotiated price of what the hospitals/doctors want and then seen what the insurance co ends up paying?

Why would the rates go down? Insurance companies can no longer rate (except smoking), exclude certain maladies or any pre-existing conditions. 32 million people in our country don't have health insurance right now. Millions of those are too sick to qualify, have pre-existing conditions, etc. No more.

Millions will decide to pay the penalty rather than pay for healthcare -- until they get sick. And then they will simply call an insurer, enroll and the health insurance a company must sell you will pay all the bills.

If it sounds too good to be true, it's been my experience that it usually is.

I was paying $850 per month for a $5,200 deductible policy until I was admitted into ICHIP. Now it's just under $700. Depends upon age. Depends on your health -- right now. That will soon disappear. And that's a good thing.

High deductible? Any preexisting conditions? If any of preexisting conditions, what company is it?
Deductible is high, $2500, I think. No preexisting conditions. Medical Mutual.

I was paying $850 per month for a $5,200 deductible policy until I was admitted into ICHIP. Now it's just under $700. Depends upon age. Depends on your health -- right now. That will soon disappear. And that's a good thing.
$850 for just yourself? Wow. Is this a big city New York, Chicago sort of thing?

With federal subsidies, the cost will be even lower. [/URL]

Yes, those federal subsidies are just dollars growing on trees everywhere.

$850 for just yourself? Wow. Is this a big city New York, Chicago sort of thing?

The last time I had what most people consider to be "good" insurance it cost $800/mth for me and my wife and our one child. that was about 10 years ago.

the insurance policy that I have now is much less expensive, but it has a $5000 deductible. the large deductable is no big deal though, I just take the money that I save by not having "good" insurance, and deposit it tax free into my health care savings account, and then I pay my normal health care expenses out of that account. During the past 10 years, I have been able to accumulate enough money to cover my deductables for years to come. It's money that I have essentially taken away from the rip-off insurance companies. I bet they feel like I am stealing from them.

I don't think so. When you're buying your insurance individually (not employer-provided), in todays pre-Obamacare world, once you have a health issue, you're forced to stay with the policy you originally bought. As time goes by, the people in the 'artificial group' you bought with when you bought your policy start to get sick. That makes your rate go up. The healthy people just move to another company that's cheaper...because that artificial group's rates keep going up based on these sicker people beginning to make claims. As the healthy people leave in droves, eventually only sick people (uninsurable and unable to BUY new policies) remain and insurance premiums begin going up exponentially. Before I switched from my $850 policy, the rate had escalated 25-30% a year for three years.

Even the $670 one I have now is a $5,200 deductible - subsidized by the state of Illinois. Since I have health issues, it means I pay $670 x 12 + $5,200 a year for my insurance. Most people wouldn't be able to afford that and would drop their insurance and go broke. I'm lucky.

With Obamacare? No more! Sick people will sign up for insurance and pay the same rate as everyone else.

And that is why premiums cannot go down by 50%. ;)

An impossibility considering how they are going up everywhere else in the country.

And the medical costs that are higher than that amount are paid for by who?

Paid for by the Mega rich in their .9% tax and the "investors" with a 3.2% tax.

Dont complain, your lucky the 5.4% tax did not pass in the original HC reform.

AHHHH and dont worry, a .9% tax on average income of $365 million per year will not hurt them............

Paid for by the Mega rich in their .9% tax and the "investors" with a 3.2% tax.

Dont complain, your lucky the 5.4% tax did not pass in the original HC reform.

AHHHH and dont worry, a .9% tax on average income of $365 million per year will not hurt them............

So much dogma... why do you hate your fellow citizens that have worked hard to better themselves?

So much dogma... why do you hate your fellow citizens that have worked hard to better themselves?

Worked so hard to oppress US citizens and take larger profits form foreign slaves.......yup, keep up your BS to make yourself think your not the traitor scum you are.......

How about you allow the repeal of the Taft-hartly slave act?

or allow the wall street criminals to go to jail........

Worked so hard to oppress US citizens and take larger profits form foreign slaves.......yup, keep up your BS to make yourself think your not the traitor scum you are.......

How about you allow the repeal of the Taft-hartly slave act?

or allow the wall street criminals to go to jail........

Thanks for continually outing yourself.

Back
Top Bottom