• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Headlines are wrong: DADT has not been repealed

That sounds like a challenge...:2razz:

One that I've taken before and never lost yet. People who claim they've "seen things" are usually operating through blinders. It's easier to see what they want to see and not bother to see what isn't emotionally comforting.

One that I've taken before and never lost yet. People who claim they've "seen things" are usually operating through blinders. It's easier to see what they want to see and not bother to see what isn't emotionally comforting.

On a personal level, emotionally comforting has value. For me, Faith is comforting. When we mere mortals have done all we can do in a bad situation, we just need to sit back and accept whatever happens.

Having a grandchild with brain tumors is a situation where most of us are willing to take some emotional comfort, from whatever source is available.

God knows you are trying....

Without hearing inflection or seeing my face as I say it to help you understand my meaning, that can be taken in either of 2 ways.

I could underline the last word, and put a RAZZ icon at the end to help, but the biblical writers didn't have icons, so their communications to us shouldn't have too much read into them.

OTOH, they didn't have to deal with typo errors. I have to correct a lot, thanks to PD Fingers.

Anyway, God told me to talk to you about your worries.

People worry too much about God and his intent. He is a kind and loving father, not at all like the guy in the OT. He is a big picture guy and isn't watching what we do in bed when the lights are out. He does notice how we treat each other, tho, and I think he keeps tabs on the greedy as well as the needy.

The devil really is in the details, as in when we start nitpicking the details, we become our own devils.

Everybody should relax and worry about their own known sins instead of looking at the sins of others and thinking our lives are somehow less sinful and gloating over it.

That should be enough to make you feel better, dear. If not, say some Hail Marys, put a thousand dollars in the Priests and Nuns retirement fund, and a dollar in the poor box, and learn to pedal your bike backwards to unwind the miserable existence you have created for yourself. Oops, I just backslid a bit and went beyond what God wanted me to say. Damn you, daughter of Satan !!!!
BTW, my church limits me to one wife, but there is nothing in the books about girl friends. Are you available on Thursdays?:2razz:

LOL

Let me add that I don't really think God talks to anyone. In fact, I think God pretty much gave us everything we need to survive without him (although He probably does some tweaking here and there). I believe that He just shakes His head at what the many religions believe about Him and/or do in His name (whatever name they use).

Of course, I believe that there is a lot more in this universe than we know and He would be taking care of those people/places elsewhere in the universe as well.

LOL

Let me add that I don't really think God talks to anyone. In fact, I think God pretty much gave us everything we need to survive without him (although He probably does some tweaking here and there). I believe that He just shakes His head at what the many religions believe about Him and/or do in His name (whatever name they use).

Of course, I believe that there is a lot more in this universe than we know and He would be taking care of those people/places elsewhere in the universe as well.

I agree....MOST of us already know how to act in a given situation, but SOME of us haven't matured past the natural self centered attitude we have as children. On that issue, I think God needs to do some serious tweaking.

This is and intersting read...........

No, it's a moronic, homophobic read.

dadt-103x-large.jpg

Guess what's happening in this picture.

On a personal level, emotionally comforting has value. For me, Faith is comforting. When we mere mortals have done all we can do in a bad situation, we just need to sit back and accept whatever happens.

Having a grandchild with brain tumors is a situation where most of us are willing to take some emotional comfort, from whatever source is available.

In that case, you're better off relying on medical science, it'll do more for the grandchild than offering empty platitudes to imaginary friends who have never been demonstrated to do anything. See, whether or not it has personal value, you're still believing in something that just isn't true. You might as well be looking for four-leaf clovers. There's just no basis whatsoever in believing in any god, no matter how much it makes you feel good. I'm sure racism is comforting on a personal level too, should we just shrug our shoulders and say racism is okay, just because it makes people feel good?

Reality matters, no matter how it makes you feel. People need to grow up and figure that out.

In that case, you're better off relying on medical science, it'll do more for the grandchild than offering empty platitudes to imaginary friends who have never been demonstrated to do anything. See, whether or not it has personal value, you're still believing in something that just isn't true. You might as well be looking for four-leaf clovers. There's just no basis whatsoever in believing in any god, no matter how much it makes you feel good. I'm sure racism is comforting on a personal level too, should we just shrug our shoulders and say racism is okay, just because it makes people feel good?

Reality matters, no matter how it makes you feel. People need to grow up and figure that out.

When we mere mortals have done all we can do
you might have read over that too fast.
She is well known to the staff at Phoenix Children's Hospital, has 2 shunts, a 3rd ventricular something something, a huge scar where one tumor has been removed, intention tremors on the left side from that surgery, 2 months of physical therapy to regain her walking skills, and still has an inoperable tumor. But, she has gone 6 months with no new growth, and will have her chemo port removed soon.
The way she has gone thru this is faith promoting to me. Only the most recent surgery, for the tumor that was removed, has she shown a crack in her emotional state. She was asking her surgeon if she was going to die, and he said "not while I can do anything about it." There isn't much more that mere mortals can do for her....

He could, you're right.

But I have to wonder how anyone knows the difference of when He actually does do so. Unless every person who reads the Bible has a direct line to God, then they don't actually know that it was God who actually wanted and/or said all those things, and not those men who wrote it/put it together. Afterall, anyone can say God told them to do it or told them anything.

Obviously there are mentally ill people who hear voices but the communication one truly has with God is an individual matter based on prayer and meditation. He gives those who believe clear signs he's working in their lives and answering prayers. You must first be open to see/receive these signs/evidence thru faith. It's knowing and believing thru results driven evidence rather than direct sensorial experience. We can't see God directly but can feel his presence and view the results of His influence and teachings.... positive and negative. We can't see the wind but we can feel it and see the results of it's movement... positive and negative. There are many other things we can't see/hear/feel/experience thru our senses but have discovered they exist thru man made instruments. These can also be positive and negative. I'm not a scientist, philosopher, or theologian so I am limited in my explanations here, but I could go on...

The devil really is in the details, as in when we start nitpicking the details, we become our own devils.

Everybody should relax and worry about their own known sins instead of looking at the sins of others and thinking our lives are somehow less sinful and gloating over it.
yes it's called removing the beam from your own eye before taking the splinter from your brother. Gloating is pride which is a sin. As long as we live in an imperfect world... we will continue to sin. After someone truly converts... you can see results in their lifestyle changes... at least for a period of time... initially or later. We're taught the effort we make is what God loves... just as much as the results.

I agree....MOST of us already know how to act in a given situation, but SOME of us haven't matured past the natural self centered attitude we have as children. On that issue, I think God needs to do some serious tweaking.

I think those people [most of us] need to do some serious tweaking

There's just no basis whatsoever in believing in any god, no matter how much it makes you feel good. I'm sure racism is comforting on a personal level too, should we just shrug our shoulders and say racism is okay, just because it makes people feel good?

The fact that God can be conceived means He exists. Believers understand God never intended for his existence to be something that could be proven with 100% scientific certainty. When Jesus returns and/or death occurs, science won't matter anymore. Neither individually or colletively. Faith is an essential component in understanding God and his existence. The universe evidences too much complexity to be the product of random chance. We know that the celestial bodies move with perfect accuracy in their orbits. Our bodies, too, are incredibly complex. It's not possible all this complexity could “just happen.”

When we mere mortals have done all we can do
you might have read over that too fast.
She is well known to the staff at Phoenix Children's Hospital, has 2 shunts, a 3rd ventricular something something, a huge scar where one tumor has been removed, intention tremors on the left side from that surgery, 2 months of physical therapy to regain her walking skills, and still has an inoperable tumor. But, she has gone 6 months with no new growth, and will have her chemo port removed soon.
The way she has gone thru this is faith promoting to me. Only the most recent surgery, for the tumor that was removed, has she shown a crack in her emotional state. She was asking her surgeon if she was going to die, and he said "not while I can do anything about it." There isn't much more that mere mortals can do for her....

I didn't read it too fast. Wishful thinking and superstitious mumbo jumbo doesn't actually do anything. You can have all the ridiculous beliefs you want, they still don't do a damn thing to actually solve the problem. It's pure delusion to think that they do, no matter how good they might make you feel. Even if there's nothing mere mortals can do, imaginary gods can do even less, no matter how desperately you cling to them.

Obamanator said:
The fact that God can be conceived means He exists. Believers understand God never intended for his existence to be something that could be proven with 100% scientific certainty. When Jesus returns and/or death occurs, science won't matter anymore. Neither individually or colletively. Faith is an essential component in understanding God and his existence. The universe evidences too much complexity to be the product of random chance. We know that the celestial bodies move with perfect accuracy in their orbits. Our bodies, too, are incredibly complex. It's not possible all this complexity could “just happen.”

What a truly absurd thing to say. There are lots of things that can be conceived that don't exist. I can conceive of a flying car that goes a million miles on a drop of gas. Where is it? Oh wait, it's not real! Any more than God is. Believers can make whatever claims they want about God, the fact is, until they can back him up with objective evidence, there's no rational reason to take their claims seriously. Faith isn't a component of understanding God, it's a means of believing something for which there is no good reason to think is true. If all you have to rely on is faith, something tells me you're not thinking it through very hard.

I didn't read it too fast. Wishful thinking and superstitious mumbo jumbo doesn't actually do anything. You can have all the ridiculous beliefs you want, they still don't do a damn thing to actually solve the problem. It's pure delusion to think that they do, no matter how good they might make you feel. Even if there's nothing mere mortals can do, imaginary gods can do even less, no matter how desperately you cling to them.

Some problems cannot be solved by man, and God isn't taking on new patients....
I hope you never have to comfort a grieving widow, a dying child, or a friend in his end of days....
They might not appreciate your descriptions of their only remaining comfort.

It is possible this "just happened." Just because we don't understand it yet doesn't mean it's not understandable. We've even figured out a possible avenue in which life comes from not-life. Abiogenesis is the term. I mean, at your base level you are made entirely of material that is not alive. Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, etc. None of those things are alive. Yet here you are. The right materials in the right environment could combine to form a simple amino acid. Get some amino acids in the right configuration and you've got a protein. Bam. Life.

The existence of the universe is a bit trickier. The laws of physics start to get funky closer and closer to the big bang, but there are theories about how that might happen too.

What's this about "perfect accuracy in their orbits?" Ours wobbles quite a bit. A stable orbit is the result of basic gravitational physics, velocity, and acceleration, there's nothing divine about it.

edit: Expanding a bit, this is actually along the lines of why I dislike most religions. Note: not a belief in God, that I'm fine with. It's the books that are a problem. They teach people to stop exploring, stop asking questions, stop looking for answers. How did the earth get here? God did it. He told us so, and he also told us silly things like the earth is flat. It's there that you get the idea that there is some sort of perfect orbit. It's there you get ideas that are wrong. The earth isn't flat, it's way older than 6000 years, it's not the center of the universe, and the sun and stars are the same thing, not different things. These are all ideas you get from the bible, and people who challenge those ideas are met with scorn, even hatred and persecution. Suppression of the real gift we were given, either by an accident of evolution, divine will, or both: the ability to understand so much more than what is in that book. The universe is way, way more amazing than that book tells you.

edit2: Hell, the Qu'ran calls the stars lamps. Lamps.

Last edited:
Some problems cannot be solved by man, and God isn't taking on new patients....
I hope you never have to comfort a grieving widow, a dying child, or a friend in his end of days....
They might not appreciate your descriptions of their only remaining comfort.

Give them comfort? By lying to them? Why would I do that? I'm no more going to make up imaginary friends to give them comfort than I'm going to tell them leprechauns are looking out for them.

I'd be ashamed of anyone who did that.

Give them comfort? By lying to them? Why would I do that? I'm no more going to make up imaginary friends to give them comfort than I'm going to tell them leprechauns are looking out for them.

I'd be ashamed of anyone who did that.

Good for you, your selfishness is noted without you ever having to use the word directly...

Good for you, your selfishness is noted without you ever having to use the word directly...

Oh good, honesty is now selfish. Good to know how little you value honesty.

Oh good, honesty is now selfish. Good to know how little you value honesty.

So you would be uber-honest to children? There is no Santa, tooth fairy?
How about if one of yours writes a letter to Santa, you gonna tear it up in their faces, send them to bed crying?

So you would be uber-honest to children? There is no Santa, tooth fairy?
How about if one of yours writes a letter to Santa, you gonna tear it up in their faces, send them to bed crying?

I never taught my kids there was a Santa Claus, they got that from their friends and they figured out pretty quickly that it was ridiculous. Lying to people, for any reason, is wrong.

Besides, Santa Claus and the tooth fairy are intended for an immature audience not capable of thinking for themselves. We'd consider an adult who believed in Santa Claus to have serious issues. Why is God any different? Maybe if kids grew out of a God belief by age 10-12, it wouldn't be such a problem, but when you have seemingly intelligent adults still claiming to have an imaginary friend... what are we supposed to think?

Last edited:
You cannot marry gays and be a christian. Show me where God allows that in the Bible

Of course you can. Where did Jesus Christ ever say otherwise. Perhaps by "Christian" you mean those Christians that practice a religion that has very little to do with the teachings of Jesus Christ.

That's correct.

You didn't know that many people don't want gays to serve openly?

Many people didn't want an integrated military back in the 50s either. Many people need to grow the hell up and deal with reality.

That's correct.

You didn't know that many people don't want gays to serve openly?

Oh puh-lease. You mean the 20% of the population that was against gays serving openly in the military? Let me give you a clue, those are likely the same 20% that gave GWB an approval rating and wouldn't vote for Obama regardless.

Many people didn't want an integrated military back in the 50s either. Many people need to grow the hell up and deal with reality.

You're one to talk lol.

Back
Top Bottom