• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Headlines are wrong: DADT has not been repealed

The point is after all that research they have not been able to prove it. It seems they may be trying to prove something that is not there

Ok, you are missing the point of what I am trying to say. My point is, the brain is very difficult to understand and test, so we can't say whether it is there or not.

God gives man free will which allows him to choose his course in life.

... simply forgiven with the gift of the holy spirit and life everlasting.

I have no significant problem with the New Testament (with the exception of prophets being included who never even met Jesus). My issue is with the Old Testament. That god ordered the death of infants. Presumably you still follow him?

Ok, you are missing the point of what I am trying to say. My point is, the brain is very difficult to understand and test, so we can't say whether it is there or not.

Pediatricians can now identify homosexual children.

It's not a choice.

Seems like a pretty dumb god then? Why would he create people simply to punish them? Why Should I have to prove myself to such a being? (Who claims to love us all, and sent his son to die for my sins)

If God is so perfect, why did he change his mind? Old Testament God was an asshole, but New Testament God is fairly mellow by comparison. Shouldn't he have gotten it right the first time? If Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, why did God wait so long to send him down? Seems kindof unfair to the Macedonians, don't you think? Why are their ten commandments and not nine or eleven? Why are a few of them redundant?

Why does the bible describe the sun and stars as two separate things, when the sun is a run-of-the-mill main sequence yellow star? Why does it describe the stars as "as numerous as grains of sand on a beach," when this undershoots the mark by several orders of magnitude? Why does the bible describe a geocentric universe, when clearly the earth isn't at the center of anything? It even describes the earth as flat, although not quite so directly.
Why does the bible give us the idea that the earth is 6000 years old, when clearly it is not?
And don't get me started on the Qu'ran, that thing called the stars "lamps," I believe.

God knows everything, therefore he knows these things are not true, and he knows that this is the interpretation people will have of those texts, and he knows that we have the capacity to understand so much more than that. He gave us that capacity, and then demanded we not use it? Gave us the intelligence to eventually discover the true majesty of the universe, but tried to hinder our progress by deceiving us?

No, there's a good reason the bible describes things the way it does. These are all constructs of a very human frame of reference. If you were trying to write a book to form a religion at that time in history, this is what you'd write.

Does God exist? Maybe. I'm pretty sure he didn't write that book, though. So I'm not going to use it as a basis for my opinion on social equality.

Pediatricians can now identify homosexual children.

It's not a choice.

That just about clears up the whole argument then.

Then where did the sons wives come from? The Bible does not say Eve had those babies. Does it say that God did not create other people in other places.

I do not know but I do know that incest like homosexuality is an abomnition in God's eyes.

Did Cain get his wife after he left his parents and went to Nod? If so was she from another tribe. Where does it say she was Caine's sister?

If that was the case where did all the tribes and different peole com from. How could there be different color skins.

It would seem that God left a hole in his story. To me that seems like a man-made mistake. The Bible omits lots of women from history. Does God not think women were important enough to mention?

Are you saying that God created people outside the Garden of Eden?

I explained that but you will not apply that, it does not fit your argument

No, you tried to claim it was your environment until high school. Tell me, how did the very first gay person come to be?

I know after years possibly decades of research it is not proven any one is born gay.

After decades of research it is not proven that anyone is born straight.

No it doesn't it means He gives you free will and choices to obey God or face the consequences for your choices.

Do you know what a zero sum game is?

No I am saying God gives you choices he does not control you like the government

Then how did He exactly ensure that those guys who wrote the Bible actually put into the Bible what He wanted put in? You can't have it both ways. Either He gives us free will in everything or He is able to control everything.

I don't believe this.

I would have disagreed with it at one time. But from the stories from my younger sibs and step children, kids are coming out and staying out in middle school. I'd consider 12 still a child.

I would have disagreed with it at one time. But from the stories from my younger sibs and step children, kids are coming out and staying out in middle school. I'd consider 12 still a child.

Do 12 year olds go to see pediatricians? I thought there were for younger children.

It's easy!

Once they're old enough to have sexual feelings, ask them. :D
It's not foolproof by any means, but what procedure ever is?

I believe asking them if they like Justin Beiber is more effective.

Then how did He exactly ensure that those guys who wrote the Bible actually put into the Bible what He wanted put in? You can't have it both ways. Either He gives us free will in everything or He is able to control everything.

one can be able to control, but choose not to, so a god can have it both ways....

one can be able to control, but choose not to, so a god can have it both ways....

He could, you're right.

But I have to wonder how anyone knows the difference of when He actually does do so. Unless every person who reads the Bible has a direct line to God, then they don't actually know that it was God who actually wanted and/or said all those things, and not those men who wrote it/put it together. Afterall, anyone can say God told them to do it or told them anything.

I believe asking them if they like Justin Beiber is more effective.

I think Bieber is a poor example. If you want to figure out if someone might be homosexual, you should ask them about someone who looks like a dude.

He could, you're right.

But I have to wonder how anyone knows the difference of when He actually does do so. Unless every person who reads the Bible has a direct line to God, then they don't actually know that it was God who actually wanted and/or said all those things, and not those men who wrote it/put it together. Afterall, anyone can say God told them to do it or told them anything.

God knows you are trying....

Without hearing inflection or seeing my face as I say it to help you understand my meaning, that can be taken in either of 2 ways.

I could underline the last word, and put a RAZZ icon at the end to help, but the biblical writers didn't have icons, so their communications to us shouldn't have too much read into them.

OTOH, they didn't have to deal with typo errors. I have to correct a lot, thanks to PD Fingers.

Anyway, God told me to talk to you about your worries.

People worry too much about God and his intent. He is a kind and loving father, not at all like the guy in the OT. He is a big picture guy and isn't watching what we do in bed when the lights are out. He does notice how we treat each other, tho, and I think he keeps tabs on the greedy as well as the needy.

The devil really is in the details, as in when we start nitpicking the details, we become our own devils.

Everybody should relax and worry about their own known sins instead of looking at the sins of others and thinking our lives are somehow less sinful and gloating over it.

That should be enough to make you feel better, dear. If not, say some Hail Marys, put a thousand dollars in the Priests and Nuns retirement fund, and a dollar in the poor box, and learn to pedal your bike backwards to unwind the miserable existence you have created for yourself. Oops, I just backslid a bit and went beyond what God wanted me to say. Damn you, daughter of Satan !!!!
BTW, my church limits me to one wife, but there is nothing in the books about girl friends. Are you available on Thursdays?:2razz:

Call it what you want but I have seen things that can not be explained. Does that make them fantasy or miracles from God.

No, you've seen things that *YOU* can't explain, or that you don't bother to look for other explanations. "God did it" is a cheap and easy explanation for anything that you're too lazy to really examine. It answers anything. It also means nothing. "God did it" can no more be tested than "The abominable snowman did it". You take an untestable answer, heap it with emotional baggage and suddenly, everything starts looking like "God did it". As they say, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.

I'm willing to bet that anything you've seen has a rational explanation.

No, you've seen things that *YOU* can't explain, or that you don't bother to look for other explanations. "God did it" is a cheap and easy explanation for anything that you're too lazy to really examine. It answers anything. It also means nothing. "God did it" can no more be tested than "The abominable snowman did it". You take an untestable answer, heap it with emotional baggage and suddenly, everything starts looking like "God did it". As they say, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail.

I'm willing to bet that anything you've seen has a rational explanation.
That sounds like a challenge...:2razz:

That just about clears up the whole argument then.

Except to the religious wingnuts who demand that their imaginary friend in the sky wouldn't create gay kids.

Back
Top Bottom