• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

HEADLINE NEWS: A school teacher was arrested early today at John F. Kennedy International airport as he attempted to board a flight while in posse

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
This was emailed to me by my friend in TX. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1112682

HEADLINE NEWS: A school teacher was arrested early today at John F. Kennedy International airport as he attempted to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a compass, an ancient wooden device called a "slide-rule" as well as a code device called an "abacus" that he claimed was a calculator.
At a morning press conference, the Attorney General said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-Gebra movement. He did not identify the man, who has been charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of maths instruction.
"Al-Gebra is a problem for us," the Attorney General said. "Al-Gebra has terrorized many young people for years. They derive solutions by means and extremes and sometimes go off on tangents in search of absolute values".
"They use secret code names like 'X' and 'Y' and refer to themselves as 'unknowns,' but we've determined that they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country."
==========================================================================
This is obviously a put-on. The article further mentions the Greek philosopher Isoceles, who was quoted as saying 'There are three sides to every triangle.'

What's worse: dad jokes, or teacher jokes?

If a slide rule is a "ancient wooden device .
I guess I am finally old. Used one in high school. :LOL:

What's worse: dad jokes, or teacher jokes?

I think I'll start a TV ministry that worships Al-Gebra. No need to believe in Pythagoras. Just send me money. Works for other charlatans.

And I used one in college. That was before the digital calculator arrived.

This was emailed to me by my friend in TX. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1112682

==========================================================================
This is obviously a put-on. The article further mentions the Greek philosopher Isoceles, who was quoted as saying 'There are three sides to every triangle.'

She was carrying old school supplies. bad teacher.
Next time she should carry books on White Fragility, how to destroy cities, how to be less white.

Teachers told me I had to learn all this bullshit because I wasn't going to be walking around with a calculator in my pocket all the time.

I was permitted to use a slide rule in the 1980s. Calculators weren't permitted but I sarcastically asked about slide rules and the teacher quipped if you know how to use one then I'll let you. Apparently, he thought it was a joke because he was shocked when I showed up with one of my father's slide rules on the day of the test.

Quick calendar check. April 1? Nope. That was weeks ago.

But a bit of levity is never a bad thing. :)

Quick calendar check. April 1? Nope. That was weeks ago.

But a bit of levity is never a bad thing. :)

I thought it was topical as well as clever. Need to have some humor amid today's chaos.

I was permitted to use a slide rule in the 1980s. Calculators weren't permitted but I sarcastically asked about slide rules and the teacher quipped if you know how to use one then I'll let you. Apparently, he thought it was a joke because he was shocked when I showed up with one of my father's slide rules on the day of the test.
I have an old one (just a bit before my time) that I keep with my old drafting instruments but our high school intern was fascinated by it....and spent days trying to figure out how to use it. Geek to the core!

Yep.
slide rule, punch cards for computer program runs,

the good old days.

My college had only a punch card IBM sorter but they managed class assigments, grades & salaries with just that one machine.

IBM made a fortune through their German sub selling these to the Nazi government. Everything in Nazi Germany ran on these machines: railroads, concentration camps, etc.

When they needed skilled engravers to counterfeit British bank notes, they had only to run the cards through a sorter programmed to key on that in the 'occupation' field.

I have an old one (just a bit before my time) that I keep with my old drafting instruments but our high school intern was fascinated by it....and spent days trying to figure out how to use it. Geek to the core!

They are mostly about logarithms. Everyone dreads reaching that part of the HS math syllabus.

My father was an engineer and I asked him what a slide rule was in the 70s when I was maybe 10, and he showed me how to use it. I never thought that knowledge would ever be useful to boost my GPA.

Back
Top Bottom