• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Have you taken the time to read the Roe v. Wade Opinion?

Have you taken the time to review Roe v. Wade?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I had not until this evening. Thank you.

It still makes me sick to my stomach.

=) It was actually kind of heartening for me to see how paper thin the argument was =) It made me sigh in relief that there wasn't some horrible loop hole in our constitution.

While the syllabus of the decision is informative, I prefer the full text of the Roe v Wade decision which may be found at:

http://www.tourolaw.edu/patch/Roe/

To me, the most important part is the second paragraph in section IX,B which is about 80% of the way through. It reads:

"Texas urges that, apart from the Fourteenth Amendment, life begins at conception and is present throughout pregnancy, and that, therefore, the State has a compelling interest in protecting that life from and after conception. We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."

To me, this says that Mr. Justice Harry Blackmun, writing for the majority, chose to duck the central issue. The five associate justices, as well as the chief justice, concurred.

It’s too bad that none of them lived to see the advances which have occurred in the fields of obstetrics and genetics since 1973.

If these men had been able to see a sonogram showing the fully formed and full featured occupant of a womb swinging its arms and kicking its legs; if they could see a surgeon performing a corrective procedure on an occupant of a womb, if they had access to the testimony of geneticists whose research in the field of DNA have tracked human life to the point at which the 23 chromosomes in sperm unite with 23 chromosomes in the egg to form a new, unique, human life, they would not have been able to duck the central issue and, as the language clearly states, pass the buck to a future court.

It is now more than thirty years later, the development of man’s knowledge has advanced to the point where speculation on ‘the difficult question of when life begins” is no longer necessary. There is a definitive answer to the question.

Whether there is sufficient stiffness in the spines of those to whom it would fall to raise that question at this time is doubtful. During the past 30 years a new industry has emerged. Nearly 50 million abortions have produced many jobs and created many millionaires. It is a well accepted practice for politicians to trade their votes for political contributions. Abortion practitioners are lavish in their contributions. After all, they don’t want to see their cash cow turned into hamburger.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

It is now more than thirty years later, the development of man’s knowledge has advanced to the point where speculation on ‘the difficult question of when life begins” is no longer necessary. There is a definitive answer to the question.
Have you read WKL815's article on abortion? Click on Articles on the top bar, then on the featured article.

I have a feeling that you will agree with her, it trumps the speculation of when life begins.

Back
Top Bottom