• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalty?

• No. I support all of my political party's positions.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. I support only those idem with which I agree and openly oppose those with which I disagree

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Yes. I have help my breath and suppoted things just out of party loyalty.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I ignore issues I disagree with when its my party that is advancing it.

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Smeagol

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Some examples:

- You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

- You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

Last edited:
Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

Loyalty suggests active support, rather than going along with the party that opposes something you are diametrically opposed to. Hillary Clinton is a good example. I don't want a hawk for a president. But I don't want a warmonger even more. So I'll support her over just about any Republican, especially the religious fanatics who actually want to start WW3 with Islam.

Re: Have you supported a political agenda with which you disagree out of party loyalt

Generally, for me, it's the lesser of all evils and avoidance of individuals who are loathsome. As a result, since I always vote, I occasionally support someone or some party that has some positions I don't support. As I paraphrased in another thread, perfect is the enemy of the possible. If you wait for perfect, you'd never vote, and I'm not the type to leave elections up to other people.

Some examples:

- You might have identified as a democrat because you appreciate their support for labor unions, better wages and benefits for workers. However now that you are a loyal democrat you're being asked to also support abortion rights, affirmative action or closing military bases; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

- You might have identified as a republican because you appreciate their support for traditional family values and their support for embracing of expressions of faith in the public square such as nativity scenes and school prayer. However now that you are a loyal republican you're being asked to support tax cuts for the wealthy, war or Internet service providers having the right to reduce your bandwidth whenever you watch Netflix because it competes with their cable TV division; which you are either neutral on or actually oppose.

Of course it makes it easier that I am not affiliated with a party.

Generally, for me, it's the lesser of all evils and avoidance of individuals who are loathsome. As a result, since I always vote, I occasionally support someone or some party that has some positions I don't support. As I paraphrased in another thread, perfect is the enemy of the possible. If you wait for perfect, you'd never vote, and I'm not the type to leave elections up to other people.

There are a few positions that make an otherwise preferred candidate unvoteable

Screw parties. I care about parties only insofar as they support what I support. When they don't, I openly and vocally oppose them.

Loyalty suggests active support, rather than going along with the party that opposes something you are diametrically opposed to. Hillary Clinton is a good example. I don't want a hawk for a president. But I don't want a warmonger even more. So I'll support her over just about any Republican, especially the religious fanatics who actually want to start WW3 with Islam.

I think it's a massive mistake for the (true) Left to lend support to Hillary, even if it's out of realpolitik pragmatism. The Green Party is the worst of the available evils by a long stretch and, if a proper grass-roots movement were possible and more people with actual Leftist leanings did not succumb to the position you're advocating, the Party could revolutionize American politics.

We'll be stuck in this (one) two-party system forever if the energy shown by movements like Occupy is never channeled onto the political stage.

Some examples:

For me I'm a loyal party supporter. I like all the people in the party besides for the few nutters who just want to bring it down. I have political friends in high places throughout the country. I'm not an advocate. I don't work for campaigns or donate to politicians. In fact, I am dead set against donating, personally. I don't vote on social issues. I would never vote for a Democrat. I can stomach the party's religious fanatics because I wouldn't be able to stomach the Democrats'.

So I tend to ignore when Republicans go against whatever it is I believe in. Ditto on Democrat side.

Last edited:

Some examples:

Depends on how you define "support". I don't give time or money to candidates with whom I generally disagree but I have voted for people because they were "the lesser of two evils".

Come to think of it, I also cooked a veggie burger special for my current congressional rep but I generally disagree with her on quite a bit of stuff.

Some examples:

If one adopts a certain political position because of the 'party's' position, they are dumb. On the other hand, if you support a party because they mostly represent your position, although you may disagree on a few important issues, that seems fairly reasonable. One should never undermine their conscience due to the opinions of the masses, but it makes perfect sense for one to seek to protect their interests through party support, even if they don't agree with everything. If that party, however, begins to lose it's appeal, one should have no shame in leaving it.

I'm not so sure I'd call it party loyalty, but I vote Libertarian fairly often even though I disagree with them on some economic and environmental issues. They are usually the best option out of the choices I am given. I've been known to vote Green as well though, and a Democrat here and there. I even voted for a Republican once. So it's more just a lack of choices than party loyalty.

Last edited:

Actually, disagreement with various policies of the various parties is the reason I registered as an independent - and have not changed since.

No agenda is or has ever been perfect and anyone who blindly supports all planks of a party or candidate platform are blindly ideological and fail to exercise cognitive abilities to discern that better should not be ignored in the pursuit of what one thinks is perfect.

I am an independent, I look for the candidate that is best suited for whatever position is on the ballot and I support that (those) candidate(s) with my vote and my active support in their campaigns. I weigh the issues and their position on those issues and while I may not agree with all of them, the candidate I choose will be the one who best lines up with my views on issues and policies

Some examples:

In the 30+ years I've been voting I've voted for more Republicans than Democrats, but I have voted for both. I also voted for Ross Perot and a few other Independents. I don't recall ever voting for a candidate who belonged to a party I 100% agree with or even voting for a candidate whose agenda I 100% agree with. In the end I have to choose the one i think will do the least harm and come closest to doing what I would do in that position.

no..... the founding principles of the declaration of independence, with the constitution guide me in my thoughts.

to take a party side out of loyalty would mean.... i have to betray those principles and supreme law.

Back
Top Bottom