• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you seen this ?

The kick seemed decidedly unnecessary.

I'm not sure what prompted her to start recording and I have no idea what happened prior to her recording but at the time of the kick the guy was definitely NOT resisting anything.

Does this look like law and order to you ?

I'd like to know what happened before the video was started, but it certainly looks unjustified, and if there was no other relevant context (hard to imagine what that could be), at least the officer who kicked him should be charged with assault.

Anything that happened after that can hardly be used as a basis for charging him for resisting arrest.

I'd like to know what happened before the video was started, but it certainly looks unjustified, and if there was no other relevant context (hard to imagine what that could be), at least the officer who kicked him should be charged with assault.

Anything that happened after that can hardly be used as a basis for charging him for resisting arrest.

I'm going to guess that this was a felony stop and that the guy was instructed to get out of the vehicle, raise his hands, walk back toward the officers, etc. When the cop kicks at him I think I hear "we said go to your knees" or something to that effect so I figure he wasn't exactly following police instructions either out of annoyance, confusion of flat out fear. His resistance appeared to be passive rather than hostile.

Who knows what transpired before hand, but this man wasn't there suspect, so it's not believable he did anything to provoke violent force prior to the recordings start.

I've always said that the best approach to police is to follow their lawful orders, submit to arrest if they decide to place you under it, but always invoke your civil rights, and make an effort to record the sequence of events.

I doubt that would have mattered here. There's no justification for this. Blatant abuse of a person submitting to police to help dissect a misunderstanding.

We do need a "complaint process" or long reviews. Just as we have defined legal code for assaulting an officer, we need laws for cops the define what constitutes abuse of a person in their detention, so they can be better held accountable.

I'm going to guess that this was a felony stop and that the guy was instructed to get out of the vehicle, raise his hands, walk back toward the officers, etc. When the cop kicks at him I think I hear "we said go to your knees" or something to that effect so I figure he wasn't exactly following police instructions either out of annoyance, confusion of flat out fear. His resistance appeared to be passive rather than hostile.
This is clearly what happened.

There are people who indeed stupidly try to fight police. That's not what this was.

Cops always go on about how much fear for their safety they experience in these encounters, but we never talk about the fear the subject is going to experience when there's a gun pointed at them, and how crippling that can be towards a persons ability to perfectly follow police orders.

Just commenting on the video shown as presented.

He's standing with his hands on his head, he looks a little confused with the situation but he is being compliant until he gets kicked hard in the back. Imagine what that would have felt like, he didn't see it coming, he had his back to the officer. Then after all that they admit to having the wrong guy but still charged him with resisting arrest?

He's standing with his hands on his head, he looks a little confused with the situation but he is being compliant until he gets kicked hard in the back. Imagine what that would have felt like, he didn't see it coming, he had his back to the officer. Then after all that they admit to having the wrong guy but still charged him with resisting arrest?

And that charge is just to let him know he's still "a no good nigger as far as they're concerned"...no other reason.
And I'll bet twenty bucks that charge will be dismissed, which will be further proof that they hung that charge on just to let him know what they think of him based on his race.

Because he was not resisting arrest in the slightest. At worst, he did not hear their command to get on his knees or he did not comply within the 0.6 seconds between the time they said it and the kick to his back.

NICE

Who knows what transpired before hand, but this man wasn't there suspect, so it's not believable he did anything to provoke violent force prior to the recordings start.

I've always said that the best approach to police is to follow their lawful orders, submit to arrest if they decide to place you under it, but always invoke your civil rights, and make an effort to record the sequence of events.

I doubt that would have mattered here. There's no justification for this. Blatant abuse of a person submitting to police to help dissect a misunderstanding.

We do need a "complaint process" or long reviews. Just as we have defined legal code for assaulting an officer, we need laws for cops the define what constitutes abuse of a person in their detention, so they can be better held accountable.

The police should have NO control are part of an investigation of themselves. That should be a separate entity dedicated just to investigating and prosecuting police criminality.

Just another black man being harassed. Ho hum. MAGA.

I have been through something decidedly similar to this. This was straight up bull****. Whats even more bull**** is the DA is probably going hang on to this for a year and in conjunction with the court eventually bury this. The only way this gets resolved is if the man brings suit. Whats more disturbing is the way they treated the woman. Did you see them try to mask the phone camera. After yanking her from the car with no cause. Suit needs to be brought. Further there needs to be a separate independent agency who just investigates and prosecutes police crime.

And that charge is just to let him know he's still "a no good nigger as far as they're concerned"...no other reason.
And I'll bet twenty bucks that charge will be dismissed, which will be further proof that they hung that charge on just to let him know what they think of him based on his race.

Because he was not resisting arrest in the slightest. At worst, he did not hear their command to get on his knees or he did not comply within the 0.6 seconds between the time they said it and the kick to his back.

NICE

No that is not why that charge is there. Its used on most everyone as something to hold over their head and as a FU by the police. It don't matter what color you are. The DA is going withdraw the charge from the court docket, not drop it. The judge will allow them to get away with that as they are typically in collusion not mention there is no representative there to counter and object usually. The DA can then hold it over the man for a year. Its used as leverage to prevent people from suing the cops, as they will be faced with having to choose between defending themselves and pursuing the lawsuit. the DA's know the charge is bull****. Its just a lever for them use against you. If your not wealthy enough it becomes a matter of resource and effort to pursue, which most don't have enough of.

Now ask me how I know this.

No that is not why that charge is there. Its used on most everyone as something to hold over their head and as a FU by the police.

Dude-guy, we're pretty much saying the same thing.
The only difference is, in this guy's case, it's the "NBC option".
And no, not everyone gets one of those pushed on them, but yes...it IS oftentimes a hedge against lawsuits.

How do you know this? I'll bite, was it because they did it to you?

Dude-guy, we're pretty much saying the same thing.
The only difference is, in this guy's case, it's the "NBC option".
And no, not everyone gets one of those pushed on them, but yes...it IS oftentimes a hedge against lawsuits.

How do you know this? I'll bite, was it because they did it to you?

This wasn't done just because the guy was black. It may have been a factor but its definitely not the only reason and certainly not the top reason. These guys ****ed up, they know they ****ed up, so they are doing underhanded douchebaggery to try to minimize the pain from the **** up.

In one. I had money, that's not the problem it's the time. You have to be available which in many ways is worse than the money aspect.

I will be donating to the guys gofundme if he gets one up. I hate crooked cops.

......The man was eventually charged with resisting arrest and the deputies involved were still on staff after the incident.

Now, a spokesperson for the department told ABC 10 that the an administrative investigation was conducted and the deputy faced some form of reprimand.

‘The Sheriff’s Office conducted an administrative investigation, the allegations were sustained against the deputy, and appropriate action has been taken,’ they said.

The specifics of the deputy’s discipline was not disclosed because the case does not fall under SB 1421, a bill that covers police conduct where there is not great bodily harm........

Breaking News | Deputy in California KICKS a black man who had his hands above his head during an arrest

Its amazing that a person can be assaulted in broad daylight, on camera and the known attacker is never charged with a crime.

1. As other posters have said, we do not know all the facts yet.

2. At first blush, however, the kick seemed totally inappropriate.

3. I believe it happened in Sacramento, California.

4. The cop seems to be tone-deaf to what is currently happening in the country. His lack of fear in kicking the man shows that this is one arrogant cop. He probably figured that nothing will happen to him, and he is probably right.

This wasn't done just because the guy was black. It may have been a factor but its definitely not the only reason and certainly not the top reason.

Racist cops I've known about called it "NBC". (ni**er be cool!)
Remember, I was a news camera guy, I've been around tons of cops, EMS, etc...
So, that's what I am referring to.
I didn't say it was the only factor, but it appears to be a factor.
I didn't say it was JUST because he's black but, in the parlance of the industry, NBC.

These guys ****ed up, they know they ****ed up, so they are doing underhanded douchebaggery to try to minimize the pain from the **** up.

Yeah, in addition to other douchebaggery like "testalying"...lying in one's testimony.

In one. I had money, that's not the problem it's the time. You have to be available which in many ways is worse than the money aspect.

I will be donating to the guys gofundme if he gets one up. I hate crooked cops.

In all honesty they are relatively few and far between. I know from experience.
What I've encountered more often than not is CYNICAL cops, who just don't give a **** anymore and they know their tenure with the police union means they don't have to worry about being a douchebag.
It really is the police unions more than anything else, and I am saying that as a pro-union guy, but police unions are protecting bad cops the way the auto worker unions used to protect horrible auto workers, like back in the days when they'd toss a beer bottle in the door with a note like "noisy ain't it?" and other nonsense.

Look, if it's a racist cops, it's NBC...if they're not racist, it's straight douchebaggery.
I lived in the Deep South for thirteen years. I can tell the difference.

Racist cops I've known about called it "NBC". (ni**er be cool!)
Remember, I was a news camera guy, I've been around tons of cops, EMS, etc...
So, that's what I am referring to.
I didn't say it was the only factor, but it appears to be a factor.
I didn't say it was JUST because he's black but, in the parlance of the industry, NBC.

Yeah, in addition to other douchebaggery like "testalying"...lying in one's testimony.

In all honesty they are relatively few and far between. I know from experience.
What I've encountered more often than not is CYNICAL cops, who just don't give a **** anymore and they know their tenure with the police union means they don't have to worry about being a douchebag.
It really is the police unions more than anything else, and I am saying that as a pro-union guy, but police unions are protecting bad cops the way the auto worker unions used to protect horrible auto workers, like back in the days when they'd toss a beer bottle in the door with a note like "noisy ain't it?" and other nonsense.

Look, if it's a racist cops, it's NBC...if they're not racist, it's straight douchebaggery.
I lived in the Deep South for thirteen years. I can tell the difference.

If they are not giving a **** now, then they need to be fired.

As a person who became hard of hearing at the age of 20 I well know the issues people with hearing loss face throughout the entire legal system. Frequently, people with hearing loss are subject to abuse from their initial encounter with law enforcement and all the way through the court system, each and every single step.

The man in the OP may have a hearing loss. From what little can be seen it appears that he was confused as to what he was being told to do. He does appear to be doing what he believes is the proper response to being set upon by several screaming police.

If they are not giving a **** now, then they need to be fired.

The majority of cops are decent human beings, but their unions have sent a very clear message:
Go along to get along and if you don't go along, things may get very bad for you, maybe worse than bad.

Based on all the internecine fighting in the headlines, it's pretty clear that most major police unions have decided that they possess more power than the elected leadership of the cities, more political power than police chiefs, city councils, mayors or even governors.
That IS how authoritarian fascism works....it is textbook.

A good cop is a good cop but even a good cop doesn't want to worry about losing their backup and dying as a result.
I keep bringing up Serpico's real life story because we already went through this a generation ago and everyone seems to have forgotten it now.
Back then it wasn't just racism, it wasn't just stepping over elected officials, it was also about being on the take.
And when Serpico blew the whistle on it, he damn near lost his life.

He's talking about it right now and no one is listening.

Those who choose to ignore history are doomed to repeat it but this time around it is the umbrella of fascism, too.

Did they charge him with resisting arrest because he lowered his hands after he was kicked? That's when the other filth tackled him. I was kind of surprised that the filth wasn't hollering at the top of their lungs like Marine DIs. They love to do that, but when there's more than one, it makes it hard to figure out what you're supposed to do. I suppose that since they were abusing an innocent man, I should call for their demise.

Back
Top Bottom