• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you seen the Queen in person?

Allan

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
She's so well traveled (22 times to Canada, 17 to the US I think) that I bet a lot of people here have seen her in person.

I've seen her twice. The first time was in a little town called Portage-la-Prairie, Manitoba when she visited for our centenary in 1970. I was 11 years old and our entire school was bussed to the park for the occasion. My brother who was 9 was closer and shook hands with Prince Philip. He also shook hands with an RCMP officer. My brother was a very enthusiastic hand-shaker that day. "You shook hands with a cop, idiot" I offered helpfully.

I also saw her at the Manitoba Legislature in 2002. The crowds were larger there but we were on a hill (Manitoba does so have hills!) and had a good view as she walked along greeting people in the crowd.

Indicative of her travels is that she visited Manitoba a total of five times during her reign. For centennial celebrations, art gallery openings etc. It was always a really big deal.

She's so well traveled (22 times to Canada, 17 to the US I think) that I bet a lot of people here have seen her in person.

I've seen her twice. The first time was in a little town called Portage-la-Prairie, Manitoba when she visited for our centenary in 1970. I was 11 years old and our entire school was bussed to the park for the occasion. My brother who was 9 was closer and shook hands with Prince Philip. He also shook hands with an RCMP officer. My brother was a very enthusiastic hand-shaker that day. "You shook hands with a cop, idiot" I offered helpfully.

I also saw her at the Manitoba Legislature in 2002. The crowds were larger there but we were on a hill (Manitoba does so have hills!) and had a good view as she walked along greeting people in the crowd.

Indicative of her travels is that she visited Manitoba a total of five times during her reign. For centennial celebrations, art gallery openings etc. It was always a really big deal.

Yes.

I was a reporter in Ontario, Ottawa, Montreal, Regina and Vancouver. I have been through the mandatory training any reporter must go through several times as well as a deep background check by the RCMP.

(Crossing into the US some years later I was asked "have you ever been finger printed. He reacted when I said yes....for the security clearance for the Royals. The secret service doesn't even do that!)

I was never closer than five meters but she seemed to cast a kind of invisible shadow, an aura maybe. You knew she was in the room without having to look. What has always surprised me was her stamina! One day was 10 hours with little break, in the public view the whole time and traveling by car, then rail, then car and then a ride in a Chinook helicopter before hosting a dinner reception.

I never got to address the queen, but was spoken to one on one by Phillip. He saw my press pass and asked about the shitty television reception. I replied something about the prairies and he replied "Yes, they're as flat as piss on plate" He had a great laugh.

I met and shook hands with Her Majesty only once at at Expo 86.

Oh sorry, no I haven't seen that one.

I saw the new queen, Charles in person once in Prague.

Been to Buckingham and Windsor but the Queen wasn't at either at the time.

I saw the Olympic torch run by once, but never a Queen.

I never saw Queen Elizabeth II in person. But that never diminished my respect for her and the brilliant job she did as a monarch. She needs and has earned a long rest now. RIP ERII.

Very Respectfully.
Evilroddy.

I haven't but my sister met the Queen when she was visiting Sick Childrens Hospital in Toronto. My sister was a pediatric intensive care nurse and was selected as one of the nurses to personally meet with the Queen. We practised curtseying with her for weeks!!!! My sister said she was engaging and warm and had a great smile.

When I was a kid I "shook" hands with her when she came for a visit at Upper Canada Village in 1977, I think. I also saw William and Kate live when they came to Ottawa shortly after they married.

I've seen Pope John Paul II in person at Shea Stadium in NY, but never saw the Queen.

This isn't about Prince Charles, or you or your opinion of him. This thread is for people to share personal memories of seeing her.

Go do Daqueef elsewhere.
I did see him. He is jug eared.

I've seen Pope John Paul II in person at Shea Stadium in NY, but never saw the Queen.

Popes do not interest me. They are only old white guys who have never had to toil for a living, have known only the friendship of other old white guys. They have never had to go without a meal and he especially dresses in fine silk

He came here to make amends for the slaughter and torture, well into the 90's by his appointed trustees. There are estimated to be thousands of unmarked graves across the whole country. He was attended to by over 50 cardinals, one of whom was that day accused of rape by a former student.

He was touring the reserves of the poorest people in Canada, Indian reserves; they were dressed in traditional ceremonial garb. God on earth wore slippers worth more than all of their combined income. Everywhere he went he rode in a special vehicle, glassed off from human contact. They had to make special chairs for him, because "his holiness" cannot be contaminated with human anything.

I found the whole process revolting.

At no time did I get a sense that he even knew what he was doing. He's senile and sick and rules the Catholic world like a thug

Saw them live at wembley stadium in 1986. I was an AWESOME show. So lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Good stuff.

But I hate to tell you that that was a prairie dog mound.

Real hills begin in western Alberta and become mountains in BC
Given what I think is about to happen with the Conservative Party......Alberta is indeed where a mound began

My mother saw her from a distance, when she ( my mother) was a young student in an all girl Boarding school in Canada and Elizabeth was waving at crowds from a car. . It would have been in the early 1950's. But this was before Queen Elizabeth was crowned. She was still a princess then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom