• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you met any real-life Trump supporters?

Dav

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I don't know a single person from real life who would vote for Trump. (Obviously, his supporters are unavoidable online.) Maybe this is because of my age, or because I live in a diverse and well-educated area. Granted, most of the people I know are liberal... but I have conservative family members, and had 2 conservative roommates in college, and I can't fathom any of them voting for Trump - in the primaries or the general.

Do you know anyone voting for Trump?

Are they as nasty as the stereotypes? Or just decent people who want to Make America Great Again?

Are they conservatives, or non-ideological? Are they life-long Republicans, or were they non-political until now?

Are they as angry, upset, and bitter as the media says? Or just drawn to Trump's charisma?

I want to know how anyone could even consider voting for this guy - not to mention 33% of the Republican Party.

I don't know a single person from real life who would vote for Trump. (Obviously, his supporters are unavoidable online.) Maybe this is because of my age, or because I live in a diverse and well-educated area. Granted, most of the people I know are liberal... but I have (stupid?) conservative family members, and had 2 conservative roommates in college, and I can't fathom any of them voting for Trump - in the primaries or the general.

Are they as nasty as the stereotypes? Or just decent people who want to Make America Great Again?

Are they conservatives, or non-ideological? Are they life-long Republicans, or were they non-political until now?

Are they as angry, upset, and bitter as the media says? Or just drawn to Trump's charisma?

I want to know how anyone could even consider voting for this guy - not to mention 33% of the Republican Party.

lol, pats self on the back

let me guess, you're not a Trump supporter?

Last edited:
My next door neighbor is a big Trump supporter. She is pretty hard core Republican and very religious I would have suspected that she was backing Cruz until I talked to her. I wouldn't say that she is "angry/upset/bitter". She was a big GWB fan and doesn't like Obama. I think she's pretty typical of the Trump crowd. They are looking for somehow outside the political spectrum.

May be you're just blind to the folks all around you, seeing what reinforces your world view. In an homogenous community myself, right next to a liberal bastion, Portland, Oregon, I meet and see folks who say they intend to vote trump every day. I'm one of them. If you read around the forum you'll see I'm not the only one here and my reasons for doing so have been explained. They don't even come close to resembling the script you've built about Trump supporters.

Personally, I would never vote for Trump. However, having said that, Trump and Kaisch are about the only 2 GOP candidates that I wouldn't be extremely disappointed if somehow win the Presidency. I can't imagine living through a Rubio or Cruz presidency. Cruz is a right-wing wacko who would fundamentally transform this country (through the Supreme Court) into a religious state where there is no separation of church/state. Rubio on the otherhand is on idiot who only know how to parrot back talking points. He would be another figurehead/puppet like GWB.

May be you're just blind to the folks all around you, seeing what reinforces your world view. In an homogenous community myself, right next to a liberal bastion, Portland, Oregon, I meet and see folks who say they intend to vote trump every day. I'm one of them. If you read around the forum you'll see I'm not the only one here and my reasons for doing so have been explained. They don't even come close to resembling the script you've built about Trump supporters.

I didn't build a script, I just asked a bunch of questions. I'm curious about where you, and other Trump supporters you know, fall in my list of questions.

It sounds like the area you live in is much different than mine. (I'm 100% certain that my county will go for Rubio in a couple weeks.)

lol, pats self on the back

let me guess, you're not a Trump supporter?

Since your lean is "Communist" I'm guessing you're not either?

Most of the very right republicans I know will accept either Trump or Cruz. Though personally, Cruz does creep me out a bit. Anyone else takes the nomination and they're going to rebel.

Most of the very right republicans I know will accept either Trump or Cruz. Though personally, Cruz does creep me out a bit. Anyone else takes the nomination and they're going to rebel.

Did these people vote for Romney and McCain? And George W. Bush?

eh dont believe everything you read. (is that your excuse too?)

If you're voting for Trump - why?

Who did you vote for in the 2008 and 2012 primaries?

I didn't build a script, I just asked a bunch of questions. I'm curious about where you, and other Trump supporters you know, fall in my list of questions.

It sounds like the area you live in is much different than mine. (I'm 100% certain that my county will go for Rubio in a couple weeks.)

The questions betray your thought. And what last night showed is that Trump appeals across the republican board. In fact the only group that he didn't conclusively capture were the college educated very conservative.

And yeah, Virginia is looking pretty good for Rubio right now:
http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/virginia-republican/

However, Virginia is not a winner take all state. Trump polls as solid second and that means further increasing his delegate lead. Rubio still can't catch up.

Did these people vote for Romney and McCain? And George W. Bush?

Some did, some didn't. That's the thing, he pulls from the entire spectrum of the party.

The set I mentioned voted for all those folks, but held their noses on Romney and on GWB the second time.

Last edited:
If you're voting for Trump - why?

Who did you vote for in the 2008 and 2012 primaries?

im not registered

but again you avoid the point. Your post is slanted as to pretend anyone who would vote for Trump is a cretin a moron etc. Even republicans you know certainly wouldnt vote for him, lol

You're not much better than the folks who compare Trump to hitler.

I'm interested in non-Trump supporters' perspective. I find this tweet in particular interesting, and easy to believe, but I want more evidence.

Though if you do support Trump, feel free to explain why. Does none of his petty, classless behavior put you off? Or his decidedly non-Republican, non-conservative views? His embrace of Putin? His support for single-payer healthcare?

im not registered

but again you avoid the point. Your post is slanted as to pretend anyone who would vote for Trump is a cretin a moron etc. Even republicans you know certainly wouldnt vote for him, lol

You're not much better than the folks who compare Trump to hitler.

I'm open to the idea that they're not, but I want evidence. Right now I have nothing to work with, having never met one in person.

I think there are many uncanny similarities between Trump and historical fascist leaders, though that's a subject for another thread.

If there are any Trump supporters in my everyday life then they aren't open about it. I do have a couple Facebook friends why will vote for Trump. I know them in person but I haven't seen them in a few years.

I think there are a lot of Trump supporters out there who keep it to themselves IRL.

I'm open to the idea that they're not, but I want evidence.
im sure you do

Right now I have nothing to work with, having never met one in person.
you must not get out much apart from your liberal "diverse" community

I think there are many uncanny similarities between Trump and historical fascist leaders, though that's a subject for another thread.
lol, yes im sure there are

My next door neighbor is a big Trump supporter. She is pretty hard core Republican and very religious I would have suspected that she was backing Cruz until I talked to her. I wouldn't say that she is "angry/upset/bitter". She was a big GWB fan and doesn't like Obama. I think she's pretty typical of the Trump crowd. They are looking for somehow outside the political spectrum.

Interesting that she was a big GWB supporter and now she likes the loudest person attacking GWB's legacy.

What is wrong with Kasich?

I have, biggest appeal seems to be he's an outsider and has an R after his name.

Interesting that she was a big GWB supporter and now she likes the loudest person attacking GWB's legacy.

That's true.....I don't understand the inconsistencies myself. I think if you asked her she would say that GWB was good at the time, but now we need someone that is an outsider and isn't a pawn of special interests....I don't agree...but I think that's what she would say.

I don't know a single person from real life who would vote for Trump. (Obviously, his supporters are unavoidable online.) Maybe this is because of my age, or because I live in a diverse and well-educated area. Granted, most of the people I know are liberal... but I have conservative family members, and had 2 conservative roommates in college, and I can't fathom any of them voting for Trump - in the primaries or the general.

I live in Ohio. So, most Republicans I know support Kasich. If he doesn't win, they are all pretty much resigned to support any of the other GOPers who happen to be the nominee.

The death of Scalia changes things in Trumps favor. Right now, he doesn't have the support of the conservative/educated demo (generally). When it comes to the general election, this demo will be forced to support Trump. He may or may not nominate a conservative justice but the democratic nominee will not.

The death of Scalia changes things in Trumps favor. Right now, he doesn't have the support of the conservative/educated demo (generally). When it comes to the general election, this demo will be forced to support Trump. He may or may not nominate a conservative justice but the democratic nominee will not.

Maybe in the general. In the primaries, Trump is the absolute worst candidate on this issue. If anything, it ought to help Cruz (though a fat lot of good that did him in South Carolina...)

A couple of friends on my facebook feed are Trump folks (the exact demographic you'd expect: non-college working class whites engaged in manual labor).

I sat next to one in a bar who was excitedly (and loudly) trying to explain to his date that the reason Trump would be so awesome at foreign policy was because he'd be better at being diplomatic (seriously), and rather than waste my own evening, we moved.

And I am on a distro with a bunch of older, retired vets, many of whom are Trumpsters, mostly because they feel angry and alienated from the ruling class. Most are decent folks, who have given a lot, and are mad that it seems to be being wasted.

Generally I don't engage, though really, I need to. There has to be a cure for Trumpism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom