• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you have ever ghosted?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
There are a few different ways to ghost:

1. Ghosting a relationship or friend

2. Ghosting an employer

3. Ghosting a party/event.

I typically ghost large events and parties. IMO it takes too much time to say goodbye.

yes. 1 and 3. i have some regrets about 1, and i fixed the most important one years later.

Why do people ghost?

People who ghost are primarily focused on avoiding their own emotional discomfort and they aren’t thinking about how it makes the other person feel. The lack of social connections to people who are met online also means there are less social consequences to dropping out of someone’s life. The more it happens, either to themselves or their friends, the more people become desensitized to it and the more likely they are to do it to someone else.

“I didn't understand exactly how I actually felt at the time, so instead of trying to talk it out, I ghosted.” 2

“I used to disappear when it was all I thought it was [a fling], or I got scared of finding what I wanted…Or some kind of fear factor from a past relationship kicks in.” 2

“Looking through the lens of a coward, passive withdrawal from dating seems like the easiest and nicest route…until it’s done to you.” 3

“I kind of think that it's part of what makes the online dating scene so appealing. Since you don't have friends in common or weren't introduced through some other channel, it's not the end of the world if you just drop off the face of the earth.” 4

“I, for one, consider myself to be an honest and straightforward person. And yet I’ve ghosted...And I’ve told myself, time and time again, that it’s all the fault of the toxic dating culture we’ve created. And at the end of the day, I think that’s what we’re all telling ourselves.” 5
[emphasis added by bubba]
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/living-forward/201511/is-why-ghosting-hurts-so-much

2. Ghosting an employer

I typically ghost large events and parties. IMO it takes too much time to say goodbye.

It's amazing how the non-Autistic mind works. Your "ghosting" is my "peace and quiet". I just forget about people that stop making contact. It has no emotional effect.

If you ghost an employer, you had better keep a log of completed tasks handy.

Ghosting? You mean "not talking to people?" I prefer not talking to people to, you know, people.

I'm old and apparently I'm not as astute in current lingo as I'd like to be.

Could some please tell me what this thread is about? What is ghosting?

2. Ghosting an employer

Yes, I "ghosted" my job at a pallet factory in Jonesboro, Arkansas.
I'd been there for about four months and I got a chance to apply as a bricklayer's helper and took that job, and just never showed up at the pallet factory again. I think they owe me the whopping sum of $148.00 for my last check, LOL.

I had intended to show up and collect it before we moved to Texas but I spaced out on it due to the hassles of moving and never went and got it.

2. Ghosting an employer

Been doing it here for a while now.....

When you suddenly disappear - like in a relationship when one person suddenly stops calling, answering messages, etc.

It's like the end of an episode of the Lone Ranger where all the guest stars are standing around congratulating each other on how well everything turned out..... and then someone asks - "Hey... where'd that fellow with the mask and his friend from the Village People go?". They got Ghosted.

2. Ghosting an employer

Well, I haven't checked my Facebook account since about 2011.... so by that measure, I think I've pretty much ghosted anyone I ever knew. *L*

I am also very old.

Thanks for teaching me the verb "to ghost."

I guess this is an example.

Some people with whom we have been exchanging Christmas cards for years did not acknowledge our card this year with a card from them.

Were we ghosted?

Actually, we are not upset with them because:

1. It is their right to end a relationship. no matter how tenuous.

2. We will not have to send cards to them next year.

My first knowledge of “ghost” as a verb came when I was a young recruit in the Army. We understood the term to mean: be where you are supposed to be, but in such a way you do not stand out. If your place if further away from your supervisors, so much the better.

We had a saying in our unit : “where’s Smith? Dunno, but he’s with Jones. Well where’s Jones, dunno, but Smith will be there.”

The names have been changed to protect the ghosts.......

When you suddenly disappear - like in a relationship when one person suddenly stops calling, answering messages, etc.

Ah, passive-agressive behavior. No, I've never done that. It's cowardly.

:leaves thread without a reply:

Yes I have. I wrote novels under the name 'Richard Bachman'.

1 - Was tempted, but no, never.

2 - Same as above.

3 - Yes. All the time.

2. Ghosting an employer

Red:
Okaaay.....what's "ghosting," as a verb?

In terms of employment it refers to

Not showing up to interviews
Not showing up for the first day of the job
Not showing up for work, and never coming back without formally quitting

Stuff that occurred in the past, but nowhere near the amount it is happening nowadays

All the time....in Mario Kart

Back
Top Bottom