• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you had an amazing internet experience?

Maenad

Sayonara!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Have you had an amazing internet experience? I have. One of my classmates moved away during the summer between 5h and 6th grade. She had a step sister who I would ask about her at class reunioins, and even though I am sure she knew where the girl was, would never tell. One day, she showed up on Facebook. 50 years I had looked for her. I had even done some web surfing but never found a trace.

I met my husband online. :) That's pretty amazing.

Also, he and his adult daughter reconnected using Facebook. They'd been apart for years, and he'd tried getting ahold of her but never could. Was told she didn't want to talk to him. Even though he heard she didn't want to talk to him, he still tried to find her, to talk to her. One day, out of the blue, he gets a message from her on Facebook. She was pretty pissed that he never got in touch with her for 12 years, but when he explained that he'd tried, and no one would give him her number or address - well they worked it out and now they talk regularly.

Have you had an amazing internet experience? I have. One of my classmates moved away during the summer between 5h and 6th grade. She had a step sister who I would ask about her at class reunioins, and even though I am sure she knew where the girl was, would never tell. One day, she showed up on Facebook. 50 years I had looked for her. I had even done some web surfing but never found a trace.

Good for you, that's really nice - particularly since you don't mention being charged with stalking which makes it all good,:2razz:

My girlfriend is someone I have known online for fricking ever. She is an amazing woman and we are doing well enough she has met my children, who know how I feel about her and I am meeting her parents in two weeks to have a beer with her dad and do the "i intend to make her happy" talk.

I sort of grew up with computers/internet so it really isn't as amazing as some people's stories. Yes though. I am not big into celebrity per se but I have had some neat interactions with some of them online be it chats when people used to do those, twitter, or stickam though that is dead now. I have also had interactions with total strangers from around the world--some of the strangers I would consider a bizarro friendship of sorts that evolved out of some common interest. One of the things I liked about myspace over FB was that you could more readily interact with people not your friends. I have also done a fair amount of genealogy and it is always neat to find an online footprint of an ancestor who lived before electricity.

I discovered that my high school sweetheart, who I heard had died in VietNam, was alive, married, and had a wonderful family. I cried with relief. We chatted on the phone, exchanged a few photos of our family, and kept in touch via email ever since. Words cannot express my relief. He was truly a wonderful, very special person, who deserved all the happiness in the world.

I don't know if it really qualifies as "internet" but I just discovered that I can simply tell my phone to schedule an appointment and BAM! it's on my calendar.

This isn't an "amazing" experience, but an eye-opening one.

Way, way back on Myspace (ha, I know!) I became friends with this guy (we'll call him Neal). Neal was completely in love with this chick who lived a couple states away from him. He would chat with her all the time online and finally it moved to talking on the phone. He was a drifter - no job, no ties anywhere - so he decided one day to move to where she lived. She agreed to meet him at the bus station and start their lives together. The night before he was to leave, he was on Myspace and realized that her profile was gone. He tried to call her, but she didn't answer. He called me asking what he should do. I (being the stupid, idiot, romantic that I was) said she was probably just working and couldn't get back to him and he should go. So he got on the bus....... he called me the next day. She never showed up at the bus station. He decided to go where she worked to see if she was there - they'd never heard of her. He went to her college - never registered. He called me in tears. :(

We kind of lost touch after that. I'm not sure what happened to him, but a mutual friend of ours told me a few months later that he'd found out that "she" was actually a "he".

I've never forgotten that - how easily you can be duped into trusting someone online when it's all a flippin' lie.

Have you had an amazing internet experience?

It started off something like this...

"Hi, I was adopted at birth and I think you might be my father."

Yeah - see I don't want that to happen, so I never use my real name (or my kid's read names, etc) :D . . . because I use to be a bit more relaxed online - and then my ex husband's wife got ahold of me . . . it ended up in court.

Yeah I've had scary stuff happen to me, too. It's why I never show my picture, or my family's pictures. I had to get the FBI involved with an issue I had, and I'll never give out too much information again.

Yeah - see I don't want that to happen, so I never use my real name (or my kid's read names, etc) :D . . . because I use to be a bit more relaxed online - and then my ex husband's wife got ahold of me . . . it ended up in court.

Whoa!

This isn't an "amazing" experience, but an eye-opening one.

Way, way back on Myspace (ha, I know!) I became friends with this guy (we'll call him Neal). Neal was completely in love with this chick who lived a couple states away from him. He would chat with her all the time online and finally it moved to talking on the phone. He was a drifter - no job, no ties anywhere - so he decided one day to move to where she lived. She agreed to meet him at the bus station and start their lives together. The night before he was to leave, he was on Myspace and realized that her profile was gone. He tried to call her, but she didn't answer. He called me asking what he should do. I (being the stupid, idiot, romantic that I was) said she was probably just working and couldn't get back to him and he should go. So he got on the bus....... he called me the next day. She never showed up at the bus station. He decided to go where she worked to see if she was there - they'd never heard of her. He went to her college - never registered. He called me in tears. :(

We kind of lost touch after that. I'm not sure what happened to him, but a mutual friend of ours told me a few months later that he'd found out that "she" was actually a "he".

I've never forgotten that - how easily you can be duped into trusting someone online when it's all a flippin' lie.

That has even happened to people picking up women on the street in Nashville! LOL

It started off something like this...

"Hi, I was adopted at birth and I think you might be my father."

LOL. I used to work with a young man who, upon seeing pictures of my children who favored him, asked if I had given away any children in the 1960s. Alas, I had not.

yeah i've had scary stuff happen to me, too. It's why i never show my picture, or my family's pictures. I had to get the fbi involved with an issue i had, and i'll never give out too much information again.

wow! ..

Yeah I've had scary stuff happen to me, too. It's why I never show my picture, or my family's pictures. I had to get the FBI involved with an issue I had, and I'll never give out too much information again.

Same here. I think it happens more than people care to admit. We always hear how the 'net affords anonymity, but does it really?

Sometimes scary stuff.

I once found this video involving three Japanese women, fourteen black men and a squid. It was pretty amazing

Same here. I think it happens more than people care to admit. We always hear how the 'net affords anonymity, but does it really?

Sometimes scary stuff.

True, true. It's worrisome, to say the least. You just do the best you can and not give away any information, and hope for the best.

Fortunately, a good experience, We found a newphew on FB, by accident, who had dropped contact with any family for over 10 years , after his father passed, other than several random phone calls, He is happily married w/ kids and we are looking forward to seeing him and family this school break "", sometimes" the Internet is A good thing'' in finding someone you love. :)

Back
Top Bottom