• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you got any memories of your First Holy Communion or of your Confirmation Day?

I don’t remember either tbh.

Actually that’s not quite true. I remember the whole “soldier of God” thing at Confirmation and wondering what my rank was but nothing else.

Weddings and funerals excepted I haven’t been in a church since my daughter’s confirmation. That’s probably 16-17 years ago.

Lol. I was an alter boy. Not all the wine went to the parishioners. Or the priest for that matter.
I did the altar boy/acolight thing also where you had to light, IIRC, 6 candles before the sermon started. The wicks on the candles were quite often below the wax line, and very difficult to get lit. So there ya are, standing in front on the entire congregation, trying your best to get the dang things lit, so you can go sit down. One Sunday, I became so frustrated, because they were exceptionally difficult to get lit, I just had a brain fart, and said "to hell with it" out loud before I realized I had even said it.

Have you got any memories of your First Holy Communion or of your Confirmation Day?

I start a new thread with a new title now.
I chose not to get Confirmation when my family was kicked out of our Catholic Parish for not giving them money.

I chose not to get Confirmation when my family was kicked out of our Catholic Parish for not giving them money.
That doesn't happen. I've been a Catholic all my life. Nobody ever mentions contributions individually.

I do, why do you ask?

That doesn't happen. I've been a Catholic all my life. Nobody ever mentions contributions individually.
It absolutely happened. My parents got divorced and we were down to a one income family. We had not donated to the Church in about a year. One day we got a phone call asking why we hadn't given money. My mother explained that we were down to a one income family due to a divorce, and that we needed the money for food and a roof over our heads. The priest (If you want, I'll give you the name in private) said that while he appreciated the situation we were in, he was going to "take our names off the roster, and that we were no longer welcome there".

Do not EVER tell me it does not happen, because it happened to us!

Most of us at my first were pupils at Our Lady Of Muswell convent school in London. Afterwards the nuns gave us breakfast which, to our amazement, included an egg - something of a rarity in wartime. WWII had just ended by the time I was confirmed. No special breakfast that time. Eggs, along with pretty well everything else, were even more strictly rationed.

Within ten years or so I had abandoned all religion for ever. So these two 'sacrements' failed.

It absolutely happened. My parents got divorced and we were down to a one income family. We had not donated to the Church in about a year. One day we got a phone call asking why we hadn't given money. My mother explained that we were down to a one income family due to a divorce, and that we needed the money for food and a roof over our heads. The priest (If you want, I'll give you the name in private) said that while he appreciated the situation we were in, he was going to "take our names off the roster, and that we were no longer welcome there".

Do not EVER tell me it does not happen, because it happened to us!
That’s the first I ever heard of that. It’s not the practice. Don’t let one bad apple keep you from this great institution.

Most of us at my first were pupils at Our Lady Of Muswell convent school in London. Afterwards the nuns gave us breakfast which, to our amazement, included an egg - something of a rarity in wartime. WWII had just ended by the time I was confirmed. No special breakfast that time. Eggs, along with pretty well everything else, were even more strictly rationed.

Within ten years or so I had abandoned all religion for ever. So these two 'sacrements' failed.
There’s. still time to come back. It’s well worth your while.

That I cannot really believe.
As I said, I'll gladly share the name of the priest in private if you want. It happened in either 1999 or 2000 in a parish in Altoona, Pa

As I said, I'll gladly share the name of the priest in private if you want. It happened in either 1999 or 2000 in a parish in Altoona, Pa

In any case, such a behaviour is not typical.

In any case, such a behaviour is not typical.
Neither is child molestation and priests covering it up... doesn't mean it doesn't happen. My diocese was under investigation just a few years ago for covering up hundreds of molestation claims going back to the 60s (Altoona-Johnstown Diocese).

For everyone who says good cops do not speak out against the racist ones... this is the same thing. Good priests not speaking out against the molesting ones.

For everyone who says good cops do not speak out against the racist ones... this is the same thing. Good priests not speaking out against the molesting ones.
Sad - but probably true.

Still - these days may be happy days, still. :)

Well that all happened on the same day I was baptized and also confirmed in the Catholic Church. Since I was 14 yeah I remember it.

Well that all happened on the same day I was baptized and also confirmed in the Catholic Church. Since I was 14 yeah I remember it.

Fine! (y)

And how was it like? :)

Was there a celebration - or none? :(

Well I didn't do it because I wanted a fancy meal. That was just part of the celebration

I did not think so.
But still, a fancy meal is a pleasant thing.
I hope you enjoyed it! :)

Back
Top Bottom