• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you got any memories of your First Holy Communion or of your Confirmation Day?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Have you got any memories of your First Holy Communion or of your Confirmation Day?

I start a new thread with a new title now.

Are you going to tell me now that those days do not exist in the US?
Or that you have forgotten EVERYTHING?

It exists for catholics and perhaps certain denominations.

For me it was baptism and communion, but I was in one of the charistmatic type churches at the time

If I ever have one, I'll let you know.

Maybe nobody remembers their first school day either? :cool:

I was booted from my Lutheran Confirmation for being honest with my answers. Cut a deal with dad to keep the family peace, did a redo, and made the cut, so to speak. First Communion was Mogen-David wine and a wafer of some sort.

Yes. My grandmother was at my First Holy Communion two weeks before she died. I was so petrified of making a mistake, and sure enough I started out of the pew before I was supposed to. But it was a great event. I felt like a grown-up Catholic. Being Catholic has been the greatest most guiding principle of my life. There has never been a period in my life where I lapsed, as in I never missed mass intentionally.

Just about the only thing I remember about my first communion was waiting in line with my father for some kind of rehearsal event, and him telling me that if I didn't think I was ready, I didn't have to go through with it. Little did I realize at the time, my father was pretty anti-Catholic. I can't say for sure, but I bet he was trying to give me an out so he could tell his very devout mother that he tried, but I wasn't ready.

I was booted from my Lutheran Confirmation for being honest with my answers.

Sounds like fundamental Lutherans then, who do not tolerate any objections?

First Communion was Mogen-David wine and a wafer of some sort.

That sounds interesting now! Did you become a Catholic after being a Lutheran?
And was there a touch of Jewishness as well - because of the Mogen-Davin wine? :)

I still have photos. Special dress mom made, all in white. Also while taking the host.
Also the reception for all the kids who'd had first Communion.

I was in a Catholic school until fortunately, I was moved out of it at an early age, to be with my cousins in a non-Catholic (but also Christian school).
Been in touched on facebook with some old schoolmates from the Catholic school, too.

I have no recollection of Confirmation.

Last edited:
That sounds interesting now! Did you become a Catholic after being a Lutheran?
And was there a touch of Jewishness as well - because of the Mogen-Davin wine? :)
No. Some where around the age of 16, I stopped going to church altogether. The only reason I knew it was Mogen-David wine was I helped myself to a bottle of it as a 'parting gift.' That wasn't a very smart move on my part. ;)

Sounds like fundamental Lutherans then, who do not tolerate any objections?
Probably. It was in small town Okla. in the mid 60's. When the Pastor asked the biggie; "Do you accept Jesus Christ as your only Lord and Savior?", I simply told the truth, and responded " Nope. I don't believe in "any" Lords or Saviors." That's when the timeout was taken, and dad and I went to the bathroom, standing urinal to urinal, and cut a deal for me to go back in and regurgitate the 'proper' answers, so he wouldn't have to listen to my mom raise hell about the whole thing for who knows how long.

Neither day was all that memorable. I hate ceremonies.

I have good memories of both.

They were both religious nonsense that I was forced to take part in or I would have been punished. I got some presents and cake, but I was happy to have them over with because my mother would finally leave me alone for a few years. I didn't believe a word of what we were told or what I had to repeat.

Since I was 34 when they happened I sure do...

It has often been said that the day of the First Holy Communion was and is unforgettable.
I would agree.
And I will tell later, why that was and is so.

:)

I have good memories of both.

So have I.
But would do you mean by "both"?
Have you been Catholic and Protestant at nearly the same time?

With "Confirmation" I mean the Protestant celebration onely.

So have I.
But would do you mean by "both"?
Have you been Catholic and Protestant at nearly the same time?

My first communion was when I was around eight or nine; confirmation was around eighteen. Both were Catholic ceremonies. However, yes, we also occasionally attended a Protestant church. I wasn't confirmed in a Protestant faith, though.

The fact, that in English the word "Confirmation" refers both to a Catholic and a Protestant celebration, may lead to mis-understandings.

In German the Catholic ritual is called "Firmung", the Protestant ritual is called "Konfirmation".

How could I say in English to avoid mis-understandings?

It has often been said that the day of the First Holy Communion was and is unforgettable.
I would agree.
And I will tell later, why that was and is so.

:)

Obviously, it was and is not so, and I never heard that it was.

Yeah, of the pastor quietly telling me that despite my impending confirmation, (1965) the marriage of my Jewish father to my Roman Catholic mother was viewed by some as problematic to my salvation.
I never returned to church after my confirmation and I kept the news of this from my mother until twelve years ago.

Back
Top Bottom