• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you ever voted against your own self-interest?

• Total voters

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

IOW, have you ever voted in such a way that was better for the overall good, but for which you personally might come out on the short end?

Intentionally voted, I mean.

However, if Cankles wins I will never do so again.

Sure. I voted against corporate welfare that actually benefits my industry. Because I don't believe in corporate welfare.

While lots of other people in the industry, who normally go caterwaul about corporate welfare for anything else, went on TIRADES about the corporate welfare money drying up.

Depending on what metric you use I fall in the top 2% of US income earners, though not quite in the top 1% (give me a couple more years).

And I voted for Bernie Sanders. So, yeah.

IOW, have you ever voted in such a way that was better for the overall good, but for which you personally might come out on the short end?

In a true society where we all care about one another, you will, nay YOU SHOULD, find yourself voting for things against your own self interests on occasion. Not always, but every once in a while.

Well, I think that depends what you mean.

I think I have voted for things that certainly aren't of benefit to me, right now.

But that's because I think the systems that create that benefit shouldn't exist, and everyone's life -- mine included -- would ultimately be better if they didn't.

So I guess in the short term, yes, but I've certainly never voted against my long-term self-interest because I don't believe a lot of the things that benefit me are actually *good* in a true sense. They're just better than getting the short end of the stick.

I plan to. I will not vote for Hillary Clinton despite her promise of "free" college education- and I have children who could benefit from such a program.

Clinton's plan, however, is simply to raid the national Treasury and pass out massive quantities of "free" stuff to her supporters. This makes Greece II, the Sequel very likely to play in the USA.

I don't think so. Maybe, but I can't remember if I ever did.

In general, my votes are always related to my self interest.

You're referring to a vote, not an action like helping someone, or in effect, doing the right thing.

I do not have a specific party.

Not to date. It is my vote, so it is all about me.

This time is different because I have grandkids. So for the long time survival of our country, I need to do what I can to stop Hilary.

So for this election I am voting for the future Supreme Court Justices rather than President.

yeah, in the primary. it's possible that Sanders could have made my job less secure. however, i'm not going to argue online for the direction that i think our country should go and then not follow through and vote.

I've done so many times - the good of the many over the good of the one...altruism at its heart...

...and something that Ayn Rand could never have understood, apparently.

No, but too many Americans do.

Look at all the poor, working, and middle class White Americans voting Republican.

Look at all the poor, working, and middle class White Americans voting Republican.

Some of them are dumb, for sure, but there are many others who want to get through life without relying on the government, and I can respect that.

And look at all the service industry type democrats surrounding Wisconsin's state house and demanding that select unions be allowed to continue to bankrupt the state.

Of course, they did not have access to that kind of union and did not reap those benefits- and nor would the select unions for much longer if they were allowed to continue, but that was not important..... .

Last edited:
Of course, I've voted for what I thought the city or the state or the country needed. I'm not a liberal Democrat like Sen. Harry Reid or Rep. Charlie Rangel or Sen. Hillary Clinton, or Mr. Donald Trump who is interested in nothing but his own profit.

Of course. I do so in pretty much every election because nobody running is actually in my best interest.

Some of them are dumb, for sure, but there are many others who want to get through life without relying on the government, and I can respect that.

I have known a fair number of them that relied on the government for things like healthcare for their kids through SCHIP or Medicaid, Headstart, WIC and so on, yet voted Republican out of cultural / religious reasons.

My best interest as I see it is to vote for the more moderate candidate in a race. I think that is in the best interest of my community, state, and the nation. So in that regard I don't think I ever vote against my self interest.

My best interest as I see it is to vote for the more moderate candidate in a race. I think that is in the best interest of my community, state, and the nation. So in that regard I don't think I ever vote against my self interest.
That is a valid way to look at it, but I'm thinking more narrowly focused. For example, I hate taxes and believe that the government wastes far too much money. In general, overall. I don't want to encourage them further. However, I believe that our infrastructure needs serious overhaul, so I would be willing to vote for a referendum and/or candidate to bring that about, even if it means higher taxes and even if some of it goes to roads across the state that I will never directly use. I would still get some kind of benefit, of course, but not necessarily a direct benefit and it would go against some of my core principles.

I voted for GW Bush in 2004 because I firmly believed that the man who started two wars (one legitimate, the other not so much) should stay in office to finish the job. Boy, was my vote thrown away. :roll:

This depends on how you mean it. I'm voting for Hillary, which is by-and-large against my own self-interests, but it's in order to prevent a serious disaster of a Trump presidency. So it depends on how you break this all down.

If I became super wealthy? Yeah, I would be voting against my own immediate self-interest in favor of the country. In the long run though, that's still voting out of self-interest, as I'd prefer above all else to live in a stable first world nation.

I voted for Bush in 2000.

That was the last major mistake I ever made at the polls.

Back
Top Bottom