• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you ever taken a hallucinogen?

Have you ever taken a hallucinogen?

• Total voters
If you have to lie to support your position, maybe you should reevaluate. The only people I know who try to argue that coffee is just so dangerous while acid (or whatever other drug) is just so benign are those who have a vested interest in justifying drug use. The truth is, most people actually understand how silly that is.

I once read an entire book on the argument that heroin is not addictive and is not a problem.

I remained unconvinced.

It is more like "that is odd". I tend to not trust people who have no obvious vices. If they brag about it I for sure dont trust them, and probably dont want to be around them. My mom's last husband never has done drugs, and rarely drinks, but he is a good guy so it can happen.

I have never done drugs and I hate the taste of alcohol. They say it is an acquired taste, but that just means that you tolerate awful tasting crap long enough to like it.

I have never done drugs and I hate the taste of alcohol. They say it is an acquired taste, but that just means that you tolerate awful tasting crap long enough to like it.

Good to know.....

I once read an entire book on the argument that heroin is not addictive and is not a problem.

I remained unconvinced.

Doesn't seem you'd have much room to judge, though, right? Obviously you support some drug use.

Oh, knock off the false equivalence nonsense. Caffeine and aspirin are not acid.

Acid's just a different kind of drug. Alcohol is extremely dangerous. So is meth. They bring out the worst in people. With drugs, it all depends on what you're looking for, or not. People who don't do them, I don't anymore, are fine too.

Doesn't seem you'd have much room to judge, though, right? Obviously you support some drug use.

The intended subject was not my powers of judgement (which I assure you are more than fine), it was that if you stick around long enough and listen well enough you will hear just about everything argued. I like that.

no, but the one i want to try is DMT. I even read a book by this guy who went to south america just to experiment with "the spirit molecule"

I remained unconvinced.

if the book is older than a year old i would be too. Thing is, there was a very recent study of mice who were given heroin, and their addiction went away when put into a better environment

Plus we actually have had a large human experiment on heroin use and how non addicting it can be - vets returning from the vietnam war, with some estimates at the time putting sustained addiction once they returned to the US at just 5%

I have taken LSD. I have also taken Ketamine mixed with MDMA. It was truly a life-altering experience and difficult to explain in words. I felt my brain was altered in a way where I became a more empathetic person. It was like seeing colors I have never seen in my life. I am grateful for taking hallucinogen's because it opened my mind and helped my share experiences with other.

I would somewhat compare it a religious experience. I would definitely recommend everyone to try it at least once.

It was fun, but I wouldn't see any deeper experience in it.

if the book is older than a year old i would be too. Thing is, there was a very recent study of mice who were given heroin, and their addiction went away when put into a better environment

Plus we actually have had a large human experiment on heroin use and how non addicting it can be - vets returning from the vietnam war, with some estimates at the time putting sustained addiction once they returned to the US at just 5%

I read it in either 84 or 85. I must say that I have recently met a young guy who has been able to hold down a full time cooks job sometimes working 50 hours a week, except for the time that he ended up in the hospital for OD it has not seemed to be a problem for him, and he has been doing this for years. His GF I know too, she is a hot young thing, and really smart. Heroin is a big problem here in Olympia, and my kids tell me that Seattle has gotten bad, but I am coming round to the opinion that if very tightly managed doing heroin need not the certain doom that I once thought it was.

Now I wonder if maybe quaaludes were not as bad as I thought, I knew a bunch of big time junkies in the 70's but maybe they were just stupid about it.

Last edited:
I read it in either 84 or 85. I must say that I have recently met a young guy who has been able to hold down a full time cooks job sometimes working 50 hours a week, except for the time that he ended up in the hospital for OD it has not seemed to be a problem for him, and he has been doing this for years. His GF I know too, she is a hot young thing, and really smart. Heroin is a big problem here in Olympia, and my kids tell me that Seattle has gotten bad, but I am coming round to the opinion that if very tightly managed doing heroin need not the certain doom that I once thought it was.

Now I wonder if maybe quaaludes were not as bad as I thought, I knew a bunch of big time junkies in the 70's but maybe they were just stupid about it.

OD is definitely a risk, but addiction is far from proven scientifically

I have taken LSD. I have also taken Ketamine mixed with MDMA. It was truly a life-altering experience and difficult to explain in words. I felt my brain was altered in a way where I became a more empathetic person. It was like seeing colors I have never seen in my life. I am grateful for taking hallucinogen's because it opened my mind and helped my share experiences with other.

I would somewhat compare it a religious experience. I would definitely recommend everyone to try it at least once.

The last thing I require is 'a religious experience'. And the colours I see now suffice admirably. So thank you but NO.

I'm embarrassed for the "conservatives" in this thread that are condemning using marijuana and even LSD. Please ignore the science. Marijuana is healthier than smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and several other legal things in this country.

For LSD, look at Steve Jobs. The iPhone would not exist today without LSD.... jeez maybe half of the members on this forum wouldn't be alive today without the use of some sort of hallucinogenic drug.

It is more like "that is odd". I tend to not trust people who have no obvious vices. If they brag about it I for sure dont trust them, and probably dont want to be around them. My mom's last husband never has done drugs, and rarely drinks, but he is a good guy so it can happen.

That's a pretty stupid overgeneralization. But to each their own. I tend to not trust people who DO have obvious vices. Means that those vices could cause them to make decisions that are either not logical, not intelligent, or harmful.

Is it just me, or does it seem like people on the right are the only ones who have not done acid in here. Seems like people on the left & in the center have.

Wrong. I'm on the left. Never took acid. Never wanted to.

I remained unconvinced.

Then whatever book you read had nothing to do with science.

Wrong. I'm on the left. Never took acid. Never wanted to.

Still seems that most of the people who haven't are conservative. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, I would never take drugs again. But its not something I regret, nor would i look down on people that do or do not.

Still seems that most of the people who haven't are conservative. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, I would never take drugs again. But its not something I regret, nor would i look down on people that do or do not.

Eh, I don't discriminate. I look down on everyone. :mrgreen:

Then whatever book you read had nothing to do with science.

Did not say that it did, it was a long time high functioning (allegedly) heroin "addict" making the argument that heroin was a plus in his life, and we should leave him and his fellow users alone, because the only ones who's lives it ruins (outside of OD's caused by over strength product, which is not the user fault) are the stupid ones, the for the ones who use it "right" it is a life enhancer.

My only experience with "drugs" is trying marijuana once decades ago. I didn't like it, didn't do it again. Still, there are many medical benefits to be derived from marijuana, it's not nearly as dangerous as legal "drugs" like tobacco and alcohol, so I think making it illegal is foolish and I support legalization of it.

Did not say that it did, it was a long time high functioning (allegedly) heroin "addict" making the argument that heroin was a plus in his life, and we should leave him and his fellow users alone, because the only ones who's lives it ruins (outside of OD's caused by over strength product, which is not the user fault) are the stupid ones, the for the ones who use it "right" it is a life enhancer.

There is plenty of science that demonstrates the strong addictive qualities of opiates. Whoever wrote that book is in denial.

There is plenty of science that demonstrates the strong addictive qualities of opiates. Whoever wrote that book is in denial.

I put addict in quotes because I cant remember exactly to what degree he claimed Heroin is addictive or not now that I think about it, and I try to put up quality content on DP which requires some language abilities such as distinguishing between fact and other .

Sometimes I succeed.

I am surprised I remembered as much as I do, this was 84 or 85 after all, I made a very fast read of it and I did it with " ok, I gotta hear this" running through my head. It was a good enough argument that I read the whole book, but at the end I decided that the author was wrong. I did not attempt to place any motive on him being wrong, I just moved on to the next thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom