• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you ever participated in a CSA?

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
CSA is a Community Supported Agriculture, and is a movement around the U.S. whereby local farmers distribute their crops directly to consumers. You find a CSA, pay for a share, and get a weekly or bi-weekly delivery of fresh, local, and usually organic vegetables.

Here's a link about it: Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

We are going to start participating this fall, and will also get fresh duck/chicken eggs as part of our share. I'm super excited, my friends have really enjoyed their share.

CSA is a Community Supported Agriculture, and is a movement around the U.S. whereby local farmers distribute their crops directly to consumers. You find a CSA, pay for a share, and get a weekly or bi-weekly delivery of fresh, local, and usually organic vegetables.

Here's a link about it: Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

We are going to start participating this fall, and will also get fresh duck/chicken eggs as part of our share. I'm super excited, my friends have really enjoyed their share.

Yes, when I lived in Door County, Wisconsin, I bought a share of a small local farm -- split it with a neighbor. Had more veggies than I knew what to do with. It was really a win-win. They made their living that way -- and those of us who supported them had all the produce we could use and then some. I honestly felt I got real value for the money. Have fun!

I might check it out, there seems to be a couple from your link.

Don't think it delivers to my home, which kinda sucks.

I have bought beef this way except you buy part of the steer and its associated expenses. I will have to look in to this for my produce although I already go to the local farmer's markets here.

That's what I've been doing since April here in Charlottesville. I get my produce, eggs, bread, granola, honey, maple syrup, and beef "shares" from local growers this way. It's all boxed up when I go to the pickup place. $200/month for all of that, and it's generally more than I can eat. They have a swap table too. So if I get veges that I really don't like and/or not going to use, I can toss them on the swap table and pick up some vegges that someone else left there. I LOVE it. I never know what I'm going to get from week to week. So it's all veges and fruits that are in season and fresh as could possibly be. I've gotten a number of veges that I didn't even recognize and had to find out what they were and then find out how to cook them. So I've learned some stuff too! Next season I'm going to add a pork share.

That's what I've been doing since April here in Charlottesville. I get my produce, eggs, bread, granola, honey, maple syrup, and beef "shares" from local growers this way. It's all boxed up when I go to the pickup place. $200/month for all of that, and it's generally more than I can eat. They have a swap table too. So if I get veges that I really don't like and/or not going to use, I can toss them on the swap table and pick up some vegges that someone else left there. I LOVE it. I never know what I'm going to get from week to week. So it's all veges and fruits that are in season and fresh as could possibly be. I've gotten a number of veges that I didn't even recognize and had to find out what they were and then find out how to cook them. So I've learned some stuff too! Next season I'm going to add a pork share.

Man I found a good one but they only deliver to the next town over, when I'm working.
It would cost about $150, with the fully loaded package too. :?

CSA's are great ideas. I found one real close from your link and others in the area to choose from. Thanks

I go to the Farmer's Market here at BU that we have once a week. Then every other week I go to the one they have in the North End on Saturdays. Nothing is better than locally grown organic food. Sadly most of the ones that came up from the link require a car to get to.

I love the wide variety of produce at Farmers Markets.

I haven't had it delivered to my door but I go to farmers markets every weekend here in the summer. In the winter there is the winter farmer's market but the selection is not the same. (Keep in mind I live in Canada.) I would imagine a door-to-door service would use a lot more fuel than if people simply showed up at a market, but at least the whole thing is more sustainable. I subscribe to the 100 mile diet, so.

Not sure if I have. I buy stuff from road side stands, farmers markets, flea markets, etc.

I love the wide variety of produce at Farmers Markets.

Me too! I love our Farmers Markets and have thought of buying into a co-op but am not sure it is worth it.

Hey! I'm working for one while I finish school. It's a great idea and the food is beautiful! Columbus, Ohio here btw.

Back
Top Bottom