• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Have you ever felt you deserved to be punished?

Morality Games

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
As asked. One of the most dependable patterns in human behavior seems to be the instinctive belief each person has that they are more or less justified in everything they do and that none of us personally commits evil in any significant sense of the word.

You're describing a psychopathic personality.

As Plato once said, nobody wants to be evil. :) And Gautama Buddha around the same time said that evil is a product of ignorance.

But yes, if you broke a window, you'll have to pay for it. ;)

As asked. One of the most dependable patterns in human behavior seems to be the instinctive belief each person has that they are more or less justified in everything they do and that none of us personally commits evil in any significant sense of the word.

I really don't think that's true. I don't know ANYONE who feels that everything they've done is justified. Most people recognize that they do err.

I wouldn't say I have ever felt I ought to be punished, but I have felt extremely compelled to right something I'd wronged. I've also been willing to risk punishment to come forward with that.

I think I haven't felt a need to be punished because my head does the punishing for me, and I am reasonably reliable about making better the things I've done wrong.

Yes - every time the cops pull me over for speeding. :D

I'm not exactly sure I would call it "punishment" but I'm sure most people would.

I really don't think that's true. I don't know ANYONE who feels that everything they've done is justified. Most people recognize that they do err.

I wouldn't say I have ever felt I ought to be punished, but I have felt extremely compelled to right something I'd wronged. I've also been willing to risk punishment to come forward with that.

I think I haven't felt a need to be punished because my head does the punishing for me, and I am reasonably reliable about making better the things I've done wrong.

Pretty much the same for me. If I made a bad choice, I'll do my best to fix it, and I definitely own my mistakes.

With some mistakes, there are consequences to pay. I've willing paid those prices, then move forward.

Thread: Have you ever felt you deserved to be punished?

Yes - I voted tory once, though only in a local election and to pay back a good turn. I did think of burning my hand off, but decided I'd need it on the day we see them off finally! :)

On more occasions that I'd like to think about, honestly. I will not claim to be perfect in any way.

No. There is no point in it; either I know what I did was wrong, and I will work on my own to make amends, or I do not know and thus would have no reason to seek punishment.

There are times I have deserved punishment... but in most of those cases, I have received it.

I disagree with the original post. Going bck to the first man, mankind needs to be trained in some aspects of interacting successfully with others. I disciplined by kids much the same asI was. When I was disciplined I knew It was just as my parents tried using common sense response to my screw ups. I was never hit though there were a couple occassions when it would have been justified. Like my father I have never struck my children but I would not oppose a good kick in the pants if justified.
Even animals need training so I always felt associating with persons that appear to be very nice that they were raised much like I was.

sometimes when l am suffering major depression in which people may feel guilty and blame themselves

Back
Top Bottom