• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have You Ever Experienced Racism?

Have You Ever Experienced Racism?

• Yes

Votes: 53 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Racism Is a Myth

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kali

Stigmatized! End R Word!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Have You Ever Experienced Racism? If so, please feel free to share about it here.

I think people would be shocked if they knew the number of peoples who are subjected to racism on a daily basis.

I've witnessed it.

Have You Ever Experienced Racism? If so, please feel free to share about it here.

I think people would be shocked if they knew the number of peoples who are subjected to racism on a daily basis.

*sigh*

:bringit

Yep... as a haole in paradise, racism is common.

I was a victim of racism once. I was the original drummer of the Blue Man Group. Everything was great, the band was getting some exposure, and one day we had a band meeting and they were just like "Hey, Chris, we know you've been great with us but we want to go in a new direction on the drums." They said they didn't think I was blue enough, that I wasn't one of them. Bastards.

yep, one of my ex girlfriends lived in a neighbourhood with a large sudanese population, and every time i would walk to her place they'd accoust me and call out rascist things like "**** off whitey".

I didn't grow up in a "racially tolerant" neighborhood. I fought a lot with the blacks growing up. When i reached High School my relation with blacks was better. but when i entered college i started fighting with them again which was a bit more serious being that we hit much harder then we did in grade school.(note:And around this time I also decided that Islamist suck and I'll never have enough patience for those pricks) But even though i had black friends then and i still do now i was never immune to racist slurs....nor were the blacks i was fighting. After college my race relations gradually got better over time. I hit a few bumps here and there but for the most part I'm pretty cool about it. However, Small remnants of the old days, at times can show up a lil bit in my post. So be cool people, cos we all grew up in different environments~;)

I don't think it was racism but it was definitely prejudice.

A restaurant refused to serve me and my friends, most likely because of our skin color.

Yes. A lot of times. All in big cities and all by minority punks.

Yes... Apparently on X-box live coming in first place in the majority free-for-all matches on MW2 automatically makes me a nigger at the end of every round :shrug:

I've been attacked physically and verbally by black people before in the school I grew up in, for being white. Being gay on top of it didn't help either.

I've witness racism several times. I've been victimized by anti-semitism several times, too.

My daughter experienced it when we moved up to Scotland when she was 7 for being English. She was never racist but it gave her first hand experience of what it is like for others.

It made her very unhappy. Within about two weeks she had developed a Scottish accent. She never experiences it now. Easier for her to stop than some.

A Catholic in the Protestant side of Derry.
Yep.

I used to work at a pizza joint and was in walking distance from my apartment while in college. One night it was one of those traditionally black college festivals, called freaknik. So I walked about a mile being cat called, threatened, called a white boy, told very harshly that I should not enjoy the pizza that I had with me because I was white and therefor privileged, etc.

That would be a yes.

The first that I recall was in JrHigh school. There was a small group of black guys who harassed and physically attacked white kids whenever opportunity arose, for no apparent reason other than hatred for all whites. One of them, in particular, just really stuck in my memory because the endless, boundless hate in his expression was so clear. I suppose its fortunate that I also had a couple of good black friends during that same period or it might have seriously skewed my perceptions on matters of race.

There have also been a couple of occasions as an adult when I didn't get a job or a promotion, even though I was very qualified, that I attributed to preferences for hiring/promoting minorities (in order to keep the EOE requirements satisfied). On two occasions the job or promotion instead went to a minority, who as an individualwas decidedly less qualified than I. Yeah, I know, anybody can SAY that's why they didn't get the job... but this is not an excuse for me, this is two specific instances when I had good reason to believe it was because I wasn't the right color.

Intrestingly enough I'm actually about half-Native, but it isn't all that obvious. Maybe I should have gone ahead an got my tribal affiliation a long time ago, then I could have been an oppressed minority. :mrgreen:

But, ya know what? Stuff happens. Everyone experiences bias of some sort. Big deal. Moving on.

G.

I regularly experience racism when Im informed by 80% of the blacks that I come into contact with on the job that the only reason im _____ them is because they are black.

With no knowledge of who I am, to immediately assume racism because I am white is, in itself, racism.

<sarcasm> My radar unit totally detects the race of a driver at 2am and not their speed </sarcasm>

early 60's, about 10 years old
during the height of the desegregation movement
while living on an air force base in the south my best friend was a black guy
going up as a military brat, there was no significant discrimination (other than between enlisted and commissioned ranks), and we always attended desegregated schools
however, my grandfather, a racist redneck from the deep south, came for a visit
in my buddy's presence, my grandfather loudly and angrily questioned why this "nigger" was allowed in my house
last time my buddy came around
loved my grandfather. still do (RIP). but i learned from him, in many ways, how not to treat people
i'm truly sorry, Percy, for not having the courage to stand up to my grandfather's stupidity

I don't think it was racism but it was definitely prejudice.

A restaurant refused to serve me and my friends, most likely because of our skin color.
i'm not sure i see the distinction.

Yes, I was subjected to racism when my roommate got a full ride to the same university I went to on the sole count that he was black. I was subjected to racism when I got billed for my medical bills at Alaska Native Hospital but the native beside me did not get billed at all. I was subjected to racism many times when I spoke out against Obama...it was made clear to me that because I am white, if I speak out against Obama, then I must be racist myself.

I got over it. Whatever.

Yes -- I was once denied a job because I was not black.

That would be a yes.

The first that I recall was in JrHigh school. There was a small group of black guys who harassed and physically attacked white kids whenever opportunity arose, for no apparent reason other than hatred for all whites. One of them, in particular, just really stuck in my memory because the endless, boundless hate in his expression was so clear. I suppose its fortunate that I also had a couple of good black friends during that same period or it might have seriously skewed my perceptions on matters of race.

There have also been a couple of occasions as an adult when I didn't get a job or a promotion, even though I was very qualified, that I attributed to preferences for hiring/promoting minorities (in order to keep the EOE requirements satisfied). On two occasions the job or promotion instead went to a minority, who as an individualwas decidedly less qualified than I. Yeah, I know, anybody can SAY that's why they didn't get the job... but this is not an excuse for me, this is two specific instances when I had good reason to believe it was because I wasn't the right color.

Intrestingly enough I'm actually about half-Native, but it isn't all that obvious. Maybe I should have gone ahead an got my tribal affiliation a long time ago, then I could have been an oppressed minority. :mrgreen:

But, ya know what? Stuff happens. Everyone experiences bias of some sort. Big deal. Moving on.

G.

Intrestingly enough I'm actually about half-Native, but it isn't all that obvious. Maybe I should have gone ahead an got my tribal affiliation a long time ago, then I could have been an oppressed minority

Lol! Sometimes i think the same thing. Sometimes i wonder how things woulda been if i would of claimed my Cherokee affiliation. I think you only have to have 19% Native in you to file a claim?(at least that's what I've heard) My aunt says we were crazy not to claim the affiliation but my parents never went for that "were oppressed" crap.

Yup, but I'm OK with it....;)
The feeling is mutual......;)

Back
Top Bottom