• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have you been Scammed?

Have YOU been scammed for anything over $200?

• Total voters

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Have YOU been scammed for anything over $200? LESS than that? Have you gotten your money back?

Last edited:
Have YOU been scammed for anything over $200? LESS than that? Have you gotten your money back?

Yeah I've been scammed. But not in "real life". In an online game. While that doesn't necessarily include money it can if you are eventually going to sell your game account on ebay or some such. :)

Back when I was 18, me and my brother got scammed in Venezuela for around 200 dollars by some airport staff pretending they worked for the check in. Venezuela reduces unemployment by employing way too many airport staff with no qualifications, and they earn extra money by scamming travelers.

This one time I paid 99cents for a headphone jack extender from china and when I got it, it barely worked... GRRR!

Kind of depends on what is being called "scammed." Way back in the day, around 30 years ago, got taken trying to buy some weed a couple of times.

More recently, as a contractor I've been burned by a "friend" failing to pay me for work done and it was substantially more than $200. Lesson learned, now everybody signs a contract and put half down up front. Friends, family, friends of family, family of friends, strangers, neighbors, everyone.

A company did try this, the wife caught them.
It was only 8 to 9 dollars per month for a useless "service".
Always beware of anything "free".
Small business cannot be trusted, most are honest, some are not the honest and dis-honest look(on the surface) the same.
A reason for the "detested " rules and regulations that the tea-bagging conservatives wish to repeal.

This one time I paid 99cents for a headphone jack extender from china and when I got it, it barely worked... GRRR!

You expected a 99 pennys item to work as well as a $10 unit ?
But many people do exactly this.
Few do know how much to pay..
A reason for Zillow and CU, but these too can be innacurate.

The Nigerian Internet scams are infamous, their government should look into this, somehow.
Would you travel to Nigeria?
Would you buy anything from them?
IMO, anything that appeals to man's greed is a scam.
This includes life insurance.

Kind of depends on what is being called "scammed." Way back in the day, around 30 years ago, got taken trying to buy some weed a couple of times.

More recently, as a contractor I've been burned by a "friend" failing to pay me for work done and it was substantially more than $200. Lesson learned, now everybody signs a contract and put half down up front. Friends, family, friends of family, family of friends, strangers, neighbors, everyone.

It sucks to learn this the hard way but friends and family are the first people to give you the shaft, when it comes to money.

It sucks to learn this the hard way but friends and family are the first people to give you the shaft, when it comes to money.

I have to agree, but with a little bit of a caveat, some friends and family are the first people to give you the shaft, I've also done work for friends and family prior to this guy, and had no issues. Problem being, going into it, you can't tell which is which. So, everybody signs and makes a down payment. Upside is that it makes for far fewer misunderstandings as to the scope of the job and what it will cost.

I have to agree, but with a little bit of a caveat, some friends and family are the first people to give you the shaft, I've also done work for friends and family prior to this guy, and had no issues. Problem being, going into it, you can't tell which is which. So, everybody signs and makes a down payment. Upside is that it makes for far fewer misunderstandings as to the scope of the job and what it will cost.

That is true.
I have a little rule for myself, if I give a family member money, it's a gift.
Since I rarely have the extra to hand out, I usually say no to those requests.:mrgreen:

That is true.
I have a little rule for myself, if I give a family member money, it's a gift.
Since I rarely have the extra to hand out, I usually say no to those requests.:mrgreen:

Good policy, keeps ya from showing up on one of those TV "reality" courtroom shows.

I've been scammed before in the past.
I've also scammed other people before in the past.
When I used to scam others, I justified it by convincing myself that they deserved it.
When I've gotten scammed, I haven't been pissed at anyone but myself.

The life I live now doesn't involve much money at all.
Neither scamming nor being scammed is much of an issue, these days.

Back
Top Bottom