• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have we gotten immune to the effect of gun violence?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
It seems like we have a shooting or mass shooting every day in this country and people are just tuning them out. We I think have become immune to the effect of these shootings because we know nothing will be done about them. Am I correct in my thinking?

It seems like we have a shooting or mass shooting every day in this country and people are just tuning them out. We I think have become immune to the effect of these shootings because we know nothing will be done about them. Am I correct in my thinking?

I think you're onto something. Until "gun free zones" are removed, and people stop depending on the government to protect them, nothing will change.

Pretty much. Massacres are as American as apple pie.

When Columbine happened, it shocked the nation. Was one of those days when everyone stopped what they were doing, turned to the nearest TV, and watched in absolute horror.

Now, unless it happens to someone we know, we just shake our heads and move on. The NRA has conquered America.

Are you kidding me? :unsure13:

People who support the right to keep and bear arms are not "ignoring mass shootings."

We simply refuse to allow such acts to stampede us like a herd of cattle into giving up our Rights.

People who think "no one cares" want to use such events to try to limit the right to keep and bear arms; pushing the tactics of fear and cries of "never again" in hopes of completely disarming American citizens.

IMO, instead of trying to limit and eventually disarm people so as to place them entirely and more easily under the control of the government we should look towards improving the image of citizen gun ownership.

Make them a positive, teaching people safe use, proper ownership, respect for the weapon, and the importance of use to preserve their own liberty, safety, and the safety of others. Couple that with awareness of warning signs in friends, family, and strangers who might pose a threat, and improved police and mental health safety nets.

Then HARDEN soft targets like schools, places of worship, and anywhere else loonies and terrorists will target as an easy and high interest target.

IMO THAT is better than figuring out ways to control and disarm honest citizens.

Last edited:
Have we gotten immune to the effect of gun violence?

Who would "we" be? I damn sure haven't become thus immune.

Perhaps we should make shooting folks illegal.

What it "seems like" and what it is are two different things. I don't see anyone "tuning them out", both local and national news has had major packages on the shooting and the shooter.

'Maybe we're just getting immune, at least here on DP, is continual threads carrying the same anti-gun messages.

Nope.

People who support the right to keep and bear arms are not "ignoring mass shootings."

We simply refuse to allow such acts to stampede us like a herd of cattle into giving up our Rights.

The herding of cattle are the on average 90 Americans every day who die to gun violence. :(

Yep..

I think you're onto something. Until "gun free zones" are removed, and people stop depending on the government to protect them, nothing will change.

Why are trump rallies gun free zones? trump supporters should be allowed to bring their guns into his rallies. Why does trump disrespect the 2nd amendment?

No, maybe some Americans have but, I believe, MOST AmeriCANs are shocked and appalled at each new shooting. Polls show that MOST AmeirCANs DO want discussion on how to curb gun violence to begin. I think MOST AmeriCANs are still heartbroken with each new shooting.

Its not that we are immune .Its that most 2nd amendment advocates refuse to cave to anti-2nd amendment trash just because some suicidal social outcast loser shoots up a place to get his 15 minutes of fame.

But I am sure the anti-2nd amendment trash in California and other anti-2nd amendment states will use this an opportunity to implement more anti-2nd amendment laws which hopefully get struck down soon. If you are wondering why anti-2nd amendment trash in the media aren't pushing for gun control like they usually do after a high profile mass shooting involving white victims is due to the fact we have a republican president and the senate is still controlled by republicans. There is also the fact that trying to **** on the 2nd amendment isn't popular in purple and red states. Fienstine and Pelosi can scream for more anti-2nd amendment laws all they want because they represent a loony leftist districts in their state. However a liberal democrat in a purple or red district in a purple or red state not so much. Because they don't want a repeat after Clinton signed the Brady Bill into law.

I further indoctrinate myself to deal with an active shooter, everyday. So, I would say I'm not immune to it. I expect to encounter that scenario and I'm preparing for it.

Why are trump rallies gun free zones? trump supporters should be allowed to bring their guns into his rallies. Why does trump disrespect the 2nd amendment?

They're not. How many threads are you going to tell that lie in?

We have become desensitized to such shootings because they are so common. Also, we've been at war brought under fraud for 15 years or more, and as the case in Thousand Oaks shows, our War On Terror generates sociopaths steadily.

Still, we celebrate war and violence, as this season all the NFL teams staff on the sidelines are wearing military garb. Militarism rules this country, and from time to time, the chickens come home to roost.

Mass shootings are actually rare in the USA, especially given the size. The fact that you think they are happening every day shows that we have entered a hysteria over gun violence, not rational thought of the scope of the problem. In terms of problems, it is way down the list.

We I think have become immune to the effect of these shootings because we know nothing will be done about them. Am I correct in my thinking?

Yes, you are correct.

The United States is a very "unique" country.

These shootings no longer shock us.

They will continue.

They are simply a result of a very disturbed society (e.g., the sickening behavior of so-called "liberal" and so-called "conservative" politicians).

Even if all guns were confiscated, the bad guys would still get guns smuggled into the country.

People are already indifferent toward ordinary crimes of violence. They are now beginning to just accept mass shootings as a part of American life.

If we are immune to mass shootings, what does that say about the 1000x other incidents of violence? 15,000 murders a year, and only a small number of them are caused by 'mass shooters'. 3000 of them dont involved guns at all. 1.3 million violent crimes, most not using a gun. Why do we obsess over one specific tool instead of addressing the cause of violent crime?

If we are immune to mass shootings, we are outright blind of the larger problem.

People who think "no one cares" want to use such events to try to limit the right to keep and bear arms; pushing the tactics of fear and cries of "never again" in hopes of completely disarming American citizens.

IMO, instead of trying to limit and eventually disarm people so as to place them entirely and more easily under the control of the government we should look towards improving the image of citizen gun ownership.

Make them a positive, teaching people safe use, proper ownership, respect for the weapon, and the importance of use to preserve their own liberty, safety, and the safety of others. Couple that with awareness of warning signs in friends, family, and strangers who might pose a threat, and improved police and mental health safety nets.

Then HARDEN soft targets like schools, places of worship, and anywhere else loonies and terrorists will target as an easy and high interest target.

IMO THAT is better than figuring out ways to control and disarm honest citizens.

Can you tell me how we can afford to "HARDEN" every soft target in this country? That's right you can't. It would be impossible or so expensive that we could not afford to do anything but stay hunkered down in our homes. So you know i have no problem with people owning guns, I come from a military family and served myself. But doing as the NRA says to arm everyone is not the answer either. This problem will never be solved by people who say no regulations at all like many do.

I don't know if we have grown immune to it. I do know that if the country cannot break through the NRA nonsense and the political infrastructure built to protect their "liberties" we will just stop going places. We will stop allowing our kids to go places. Thanks to the Internet we barely have to shop brick and mortar any longer.

One kid shot and killed at the Borderline Bar was in the crowd in Las Vegas. So he escapes death by gunfire there only to die at the hands of another gunman 1 year later miles away in California. When you are dealing with 307 days of mass shootings out of the last 365, with no end in sight watch and see if people just stop going out. How does that economy grab you America?

If we are immune to mass shootings, what does that say about the 1000x other incidents of violence? 15,000 murders a year, and only a small number of them are caused by 'mass shooters'. 3000 of them dont involved guns at all. 1.3 million violent crimes, most not using a gun. Why do we obsess over one specific tool instead of addressing the cause of violent crime?

If we are immune to mass shootings, we are outright blind of the larger problem.

NIMBY...Not In My Back Yard. As long as the violence as most of the crime is happening in ghettos, no one cares.

Things that we hear on a regular basis are no longer news and tend to be ignored. We don't hear anything about the millions of traffic accidents each year either. Or aircraft sabotage. Or closer to the issue, murders in any large city.

Overall we don't do that bad. 325 million population. A dozen or less nut job mass murderers. A better chance of falling off your deck.

Back
Top Bottom