• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Have We Ever Reversed a 'Progressive' Cultural Trend?

Sherman123

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I was thinking about this the other day in the context of groups and individuals that advocate for preserving 'family' or 'traditional values' usually in reference to SSM, Transgender rights, Gay Adoption, etc. In our history, and I suppose more broadly in the historical liberal experiment, have 'we' (that is as a society) ever adopted what could be identified as a progressive cultural attitude, whether its racial equality or something like womans suffrage, and then permanently rolled it back or reversed course? Sort of taken a 'nope, we made a mistake' attitude?

I can't really think of one but if anyone else can it would be appreciated. My inclination is to say there isn't one but I could be wrong. The only one that seems remotely plausible hasn't actually happened yet and thats abortion because we don't seem to have coalesced into one position as a society the same way that we have on female suffrage, racial equality, and increasingly on the topic of SSM.

Because if there isn't really any precedent of a rollback I wonder if these groups and individuals sincerely believe there is a chance of 'going back'.

Thoughts?

I was thinking about this the other day in the context of groups and individuals that advocate for preserving 'family' or 'traditional values' usually in reference to SSM, Transgender rights, Gay Adoption, etc. In our history, and I suppose more broadly in the historical liberal experiment, have 'we' (that is as a society) ever adopted what could be identified as a progressive cultural attitude, whether its racial equality or something like womans suffrage, and then permanently rolled it back or reversed course? Sort of taken a 'nope, we made a mistake' attitude?

I can't really think of one but if anyone else can it would be appreciated. My inclination is to say there isn't one but I could be wrong. The only one that seems remotely plausible hasn't actually happened yet and thats abortion because we don't seem to have coalesced into one position as a society the same way that we have on female suffrage, racial equality, and increasingly on the topic of SSM.

Because if there isn't really any precedent of a rollback I wonder if these groups and individuals sincerely believe there is a chance of 'going back'.

Thoughts?

Excellent point. I can only think of one...Prohibition.

When a culture starts to go liberal, it is on the downward slope. America is dying. Conservatism builds societies, liberalism destroys them. It's only a matter of time.

Oh thats a good one. It completely slipped my mind. I wasn't thinking about prohibition, whether it be drugs or alcohol. Maybe it's different when it involves the rights of actual humans as opposed to the right to purchase a product? Like if we legalized prostitution and you had sex workers who were advocating for themselves would it become more readily accepted into our cultural mind than the 'right' to purchase cocaine? I don't know.

Thoughts?

Nope. Progressive-ism is the natural order in the cycle of a nation's life. Allow me to quote Aristotle: "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny." The 'progressive' hive mind is a feminine hive mind. And having given ourselves almost completely over to militant feminism, we are seeing the end of the masculine republic and the beginning of feminine democracy. Once we're sufficiently feminized, (gender confusion, women in combat, women as heads of households and leaders, men behaving like children much later in life, etc) tyranny takes over as we can no longer defend our borders, our language or our culture.

The best days of the US are behind her and I see at least two new nations in her future. Probably a lot more like Canada and Britain. Passive wallflowers on the world's stage.

Thoughts?

Other than Prohibition, gun control, some environmental laws, auto safety issues, tinkering with Selective Service classifications and various age limits for juvenile/adult privileges not really. Once we become more permissive (progressive?) we generally stick to the more relaxed standards. PPACA may be a good example of outlawing the freedom of not buying a government approved version of commercial product - that can hardly be called progressive. ;)

Thoughts?

I'd say recreational drugs would be a clear one, dating back into the 19th century and later into the late 20th century. We may be looking at another dip into the pool, so to speak, recently, but chances are that will end poorly too.

The other would be the sexual revolution, free sex, and all that 60s/70s free love that came crashing down with HIV/AIDS

Last edited:
When a culture starts to go liberal, it is on the downward slope. America is dying. Conservatism builds societies, liberalism destroys them. It's only a matter of time.

no, America is changing, like it has from the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s - present. Perhaps it's not your desired flavor, but America will always be changing.
I think technology is a big influence in change (or at least recent times).

Thoughts?

Things go in cycles, I wouldn't say any cultural trend is truly "permanent"

for example, reconstruction was rolled back, after the civil war. Much of the original progressive movement including high upper tax rates were rolled back in the 1980s.

when it comes to the types of religious social issues, that's a different story. issues like SSM become less important as society becomes less religious, when the only compelling reason for one opinion is "that's how we've always done it" or "because God commands it" it is harder to justify when people don't buy your view of god.

I actually believe conservatives are winning more on economic issues, which scares me more becasue I'm predominantly an economic liberal, and not so much a social one.

So the sky IS falling. Oh my. Come on man... you're better than this.

Is it not odd that at age 16 one can drive a 2 ton vehicle capable of very high speed, at age 18 one can (even be compelled to) kill/die for the nation in the military yet one cannot legally buy beer until age 21?

Nope. Progressive-ism is the natural order in the cycle of a nation's life. Allow me to quote Aristotle: "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyranny." The 'progressive' hive mind is a feminine hive mind. And having given ourselves almost completely over to militant feminism, we are seeing the end of the masculine republic and the beginning of feminine democracy. Once we're sufficiently feminized, (gender confusion, women in combat, women as heads of households and leaders, men behaving like children much later in life, etc) tyranny takes over as we can no longer defend our borders, our language or our culture.

The best days of the US are behind her and I see at least two new nations in her future. Probably a lot more like Canada and Britain. Passive wallflowers on the world's stage.

Oh bullcrap. Machismo is a BS false persona. The world gets more liberal with more knowledge. Conservatism dies out because people communicate better with more and better tech and can no longer be cowed into conservative obedience with threats born out of total bull****. Gay rights are coming fast now because conservatives told us all that dire consequences would happen if gays ever got rights. Well, Massachusetts passed gay marriage years ago and didn't fall into the ocean.

Knowledge is why conservatism dies. And with immediate communication of today, knowledge is killing conservatism.

no, America is changing, like it has from the 40s, 50s, 60, 70s - present. Perhaps it's not your desired flavor, but America will always be changing.
I think technology is a big influence in change (or at least recent times).

It's changing... in the wrong direction.

Is it not odd that at age 16 one can drive a 2 ton vehicle capable of very high speed, at age 18 one can (even be compelled to) kill/die for the nation in the military yet one cannot legally buy beer until age 21?

That 21 isn't nationwide, is it? At many rte,I'm thinking we're off track.

just looked it. You're right. 21 nationwide. If I was 20, I'd be pissed. ;)

I think i saw somewhere that those under 21 in the military can buy and consume beer on base.

It's changing... in the wrong direction.

So IYO, what time in our past was the best? Since the present and future are going in the wrong direction?

just looked it. You're right. 21 nationwide. If I was 20, I'd be pissed. ;)

Off track how? The raising of an age limit is a policy becoming less permissive (progressive?) - is it not?

I think i saw somewhere that those under 21 in the military can buy and consume beer on base.

Don't know if this is still true but was true when I was at Camp Lejune in the 80's.

Off track how? The raising of an age limit is a policy becoming less permissive (progressive?) - is it not?

I'm one of those people who believes if you are old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to have, at LEAST, a beer.

So the sky IS falling. Oh my. Come on man... you're better than this.

No, this country is better than that. Too bad we've got SJWs now.

You can't stop it, the future is a less bigoted place.

The future is more control and much less freedom, maybe(probably) to the point of its extinction.

like i said, not to your desired flavor.

It has nothing to do with flavor, it has to do with basic mathematics. When you have lots of people with their hand out and not that many people paying taxes, you have to realize that money doesn't grow on trees, even in China.

Back
Top Bottom