• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hats as Hate

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Nick Sandmann, a student at Covington Catholic, says he was a silent bystander in viral video. But his MAGA hat spoke for him.

Before he encountered Omaha elder Nathan Phillips at the Lincoln Memorial, Covington High School student Nick Sandmann had already taken steps to provoke and insult people of color. He'd put on a MAGA hat.

I'd like to point out that this piece, while opinion, isn't on some off the wall blog or some "news" site with a well know and recognized political lean. It's from NBC.

This is what MAIN STREAM MEDIA is putting out to the public -
But this characterization is misleading. Sandmann and his classmates were making a political statement as soon as they wore their MAGA hats in a public space. Aligning oneself with Trump's movement is an aggressive political statement. It's difficult to believe the students — who were after all in Washington for a political march — were unaware of this.

"Aligning oneself with Trump's movement is an aggressive political statement"

That's where we are today. The author then goes on to describe all kinds of incidents where a Trump supporter "taunted or attacked someone from a marginalized group". He does that while ignoring all the incidents where someone from the "Resistance" has attacked Trump supporters.

To call this kind of article disingenuous would be generous in the extreme. To see it promoted by NBC, one of the traditional bastions of broadcast journalism, really tells us where we are as a country and it tells us a WHOLE lot about where the major players in the media stand, politically. There really isn't much doubt at all any more that most of the broadcast and print media has become the propaganda arm of the political class. They aren't even hiding it any more.

Nick Sandmann, a student at Covington Catholic, says he was a silent bystander in viral video. But his MAGA hat spoke for him.

I'd like to point out that this piece, while opinion, isn't on some off the wall blog or some "news" site with a well know and recognized political lean. It's from NBC.

That's where we are today. The author then goes on to describe all kinds of incidents where a Trump supporter "taunted or attacked someone from a marginalized group". He does that while ignoring all the incidents where someone from the "Resistance" has attacked Trump supporters.

To call this kind of article disingenuous would be generous in the extreme. To see it promoted by NBC, one of the traditional bastions of broadcast journalism, really tells us where we are as a country and it tells us a WHOLE lot about where the major players in the media stand, politically. There really isn't much doubt at all any more that most of the broadcast and print media has become the propaganda arm of the political class. They aren't even hiding it any more.

About the author: He slants pretty far left. Note his latest tweet. It's ironic that Berlatsky tells MAGA "dopes" that they are spewing rants. :lol:
NOAH BERLATSKY is the editor of the comics and culture blog The Hooded Utilitarian. He has written on gender, comics, and culture for many publications, including Slate, Public Books, The Chicago Reader, Reason, The Comics Journal, The Baffler, and The Atlantic
He opines for NBCNewsTHINK https://twitter.com/NBCNewsTHINK

Noah Berlatsky

Verified account

@nberlat
Follow Follow @nberlat
More
really enjoy telling MAGA dopes that they're foam spewing rants are why they lost the midterms.

2:17 PM - 24 Jan 2019

https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1088561520257032192?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Last edited:
About the author: He slants pretty far left. Note his latest tweet. It's ironic that Berlatsky tells MAGA "dopes" that they are spewing rants. :lol:
NOAH BERLATSKY is the editor of the comics and culture blog The Hooded Utilitarian. He has written on gender, comics, and culture for many publications, including Slate, Public Books, The Chicago Reader, Reason, The Comics Journal, The Baffler, and The Atlantic

https://twitter.com/nberlat/status/1088561520257032192?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

There was a time that jackasses like him would be relegated to the print "rags" and the bowels of the internet. Today you find him on NBC. It goes to show how far down the rabbit hole we have fallen.

He opines for NBCNewsTHINK https://twitter.com/NBCNewsTHINK

You can certainly tell that he is a professional journalist because he used "they're" when he meant "their" in his Tweet.

You can always tell a social justice warrior or rabid leftist, but you sure can't tell them much.

So if a person was wearing an ANTIFA hat, you wouldn't associate them with supporting or being with ANTIFA then right?

Yes, Orwell's "1984" is here; complete with new-speak, face crimes, thought crimes, etc., along with the various organs of media and social justice to weed such criminals out, publicly humiliate them and then destroy them if they refuse "re-education in right-think."

So if a person was wearing an ANTIFA hat, you wouldn't associate them with supporting or being with ANTIFA then right?

What, exactly, do you think MAGA supporter is? So far MAGA has been mainly to tax and regulate less and to spend more - that alone prevents me from being a MAGA supporter.

MAGA =/= "racism". Der....

If a person was wearing a Steelers hat I'd figure they were a Steelers fan. If they were wearing an Antifa hat I'd figure they were an Antifa fan. It they were wearing a MAGA hat I'd figure they were a Trump fan.

In NONE of those cases would I assume that they were anything other than, perhaps, politically misguided. It's what people DO that make me question their motivations and intentions. What they WEAR is merely an act of self-expression.

Since you seem to be in the "apparel as an indication of intent" mode, would you assume that a woman walking down the street in a short skirt, tight top and stiletto boots was soliciting rape?

Last edited:

False equivalent. ANTIFA preaches and executes violence and law breaking. That aside, the whole point is that it's not the clothes, bUT the actions. I would be happy to judge them on their own merits.

The MAGA baseball cap is the new Confederate flag.

The intolerant right wing have hijacked it.

If you were an African American man sitting in a bar and a group of men walked in wearing those hats, you'd have every reason to become anxious.

If a person was wearing a Steelers hat I'd figure they were a Steelers fan. If they were wearing an Antifa hat I'd figure they were an Antifa fan. It they were wearing a MAGA hat I'd figure they were a Trump fan.

In NONE of those cases would I assume that they were anything other than, perhaps, politically misguided. It's what people DO that make me question their motivations and intentions. What they WEAR is merely an act of self-expression.

Since you seem to be in the "apparel as an indication of intent" mode, would you assume that a woman walking down the street in a short skirt, tight top and stiletto boots was soliciting rape?

MAGA hats are worn by white supremacists.

False equivalent. ANTIFA preaches and executes violence and law breaking. That aside, the whole point is that it's not the clothes, bUT the actions. I would be happy to judge them on their own merits.

Damnit. You were faster and more eloquent.

MAGA hats are worn by white supremacists.

If you're trying to provoke a hostile reaction keep trying. If you actually believe that crap then I'm simply going to pray for your future.

Nope, there are many ANTIFA that do not preach hate or execute violence. Your ignorance is not a defense.

I won't give any more minutes of my life to the story about Nick Sandmann and his MAGA hat. We have bigger problems developing in Venezuela and right here with the shutdown. This is a 16 year old Catholic high school 'kid' that's still amazed with his spontaneous erections and dealing with the guilt he's feeling about that because he has 'impure thoughts' about girls, yet he proudly wears a MAGA hat even though his mom bought it for him but doesn't have a clue what it stands for. He was there with others in their all-boy school to attend a March for Life anti-abortion demonstration. Really? Sixteen year old boys have a depth of knowledge concerning the issues about Roe v Wade? Well anyway, if Nick Sandmann wasn't wearing a MAGA hat would anyone care a bit about this face-to-face thing? Nope.

You know what's an aggressive political act? Marching and calling for the impeachment of the POTUS the day after the inauguration and talking about how you've dreamed of blowing up the WH among other things. But hey, some HS kids went to a pro-life rally and wore MAGA hats. We should all feel endangered.:roll:

If you're trying to provoke a hostile reaction keep trying. If you actually believe that crap then I'm simply going to pray for your future.

Truth is truth. MAGA = racist, ignorant, unintelligent, scum sucking pond **** that is a waste of air. That's being nice about it.

The MAGA baseball cap is the new Confederate flag.

The intolerant right wing have hijacked it.

If you were an African American man sitting in a bar and a group of men walked in wearing those hats, you'd have every reason to become anxious.

RTX6GNPZ.jpg

They are also worn by other than white supremacists. Don't stereotype, right?

Non violent people wear ANTIFA hats, but I bet if someone showed up to a Trump rally with one the assumption would be there wouldn't it?

Nope, there are many ANTIFA that do not preach hate or execute violence. Your ignorance is not a defense.

It's adorable that you think this is a counter to my statement. Try again?

The irony of you calling me ignorant at the end did make me smile tho. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom