• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hasan Found Guilty in Fort Hood Shooting

Grant

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
KILLEEN, Texas—A jury of military officers on Friday found Nidal Hasan guilty of multiple counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with a mass shooting at Fort Hood in 2009 that killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others.

A jury found Maj. Nidal Hasan guilty of multiple counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with a mass shooting at Fort Hood in 2009 that killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others. Miguel Bustillo and Ashby Jones discuss the verdict. Photo: AP.

The verdict was widely expected given that Maj. Hasan admitted at the start of the court martial that he had shot soldiers who were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, saying he was trying to defend fellow Muslims who he believed had been unfairly targeted by U.S. forces.
In total, the Army psychiatrist was convicted of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

Hasan Found Guilty in Fort Hood Shooting - WSJ.com

The jury will decide Monday as to what to do with this instigator of workplace violence. Might Chelsea Manning have a cellmate? Could Edward Snowden make it a threesome? More exciting tales yet to come on how social engineering can help you.

KILLEEN, Texas—A jury of military officers on Friday found Nidal Hasan guilty of multiple counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with a mass shooting at Fort Hood in 2009 that killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others.

A jury found Maj. Nidal Hasan guilty of multiple counts of murder and attempted murder in connection with a mass shooting at Fort Hood in 2009 that killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others. Miguel Bustillo and Ashby Jones discuss the verdict. Photo: AP.

The verdict was widely expected given that Maj. Hasan admitted at the start of the court martial that he had shot soldiers who were preparing to deploy to Afghanistan, saying he was trying to defend fellow Muslims who he believed had been unfairly targeted by U.S. forces.
In total, the Army psychiatrist was convicted of 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

The just will decide Monday as to what to do with this instigator of workplace violence. Might Chelsea Manning have a cellmate? Could Edward Snowden make it a threesome? More exciting tales yet to come on how social engineering can help you.

I'm hoping for a firing squad!!!!

In a way it would be fitting for him to rot in Supermax,
however the way they've spoiled him with his medical needs?
he just needs to be executed!!!

Here's hoping for the death penalty. He's earned it.

I am pro capital punishment, however in this case I believe we should deny Nidal Hasan martyrdom. Let him spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement. He wants to die, I hope they don't give him what he wants

I am pro capital punishment, however in this case I believe we should deny Nidal Hasan martyrdom. Let him spend the rest of his life in solitary confinement. He wants to die, I hope they don't give him what he wants

Dening a martyr his death is the most apt form of punishment.

Anyone know why he wasn't permitted to plead guilty and avoid the death sentence, but Sgt. Bales was?

Feeding him for the rest of his sorry life is more punishment for us than we deserve. After thousands of years of domestication, there is still only one way to deal with a mad dog, and we should get on with it. Besides, he won't qualify as a martyr if he gets some pork shoved into one end or the other before he checks out.

Feeding him for the rest of his sorry life is more punishment for us than we deserve. After thousands of years of domestication, there is still only one way to deal with a mad dog, and we should get on with it. Besides, he won't qualify as a martyr if he gets some pork shoved into one end or the other before he checks out.

That is not justice, that is vengeance.

Justice is not about revenge.

Unless, some time in the future, they grab some Americans and try for a prisoner exchange.

Are their many dead Muslims remembered as martyrs outside of their immediate family? I think people move on rather quickly and this scum will be soon forgotten.

That is not justice, that is vengeance.

Justice is not about revenge.

Your opinion is noted. I prefer to bury my garbage in the landfill rather than keep it around.

While this scumbags isn't human, killing him would make him a martyr so instead we should put him in solitary confinement for 23 hours a day for the rest of his life, that punishment would be more effective than giving him martyrdom.

I'm hoping for a firing squad!!!!

In a way it would be fitting for him to rot in Supermax,
however the way they've spoiled him with his medical needs?
he just needs to be executed!!!
LOL - I agree on both accounts.

In a better world, he'd have been taken out the same hour the verdict was read and summarily executed - ideally with the MSM recording it.

That having been said, I see the argument too for letting him rot in prison - except we'd have to pay for it and he's just not worth another dime of American taxpayer money.

And then bury him in pigskin.

Good idea!

This is not at all how it works in Islam. Pork is not Muslim Kryptonite, Christ what is wrong with you people? Muslims are literally allowed to eat pork if they think it would offend someone if they didn't.

Anyone know why he wasn't permitted to plead guilty and avoid the death sentence, but Sgt. Bales was?

"Permitted?" The accused gets to decide how to plead.

The jury will decide Monday as to what to do with this instigator of workplace violence. Might Chelsea Manning have a cellmate? Could Edward Snowden make it a threesome? More exciting tales yet to come on how social engineering can help you.

Let us assume that his bolded statement is true, I believe that it probably is to a large extent. We knowingly target persons even when we know innocent collateral casualties are very likely. How does this make us any different then him? Yet the reactions here are very different. Is one acceptable simply because it is government sanctioned murder or is the difference because these were Americans and those brown folk are from some place else? It seems so hypocritical to me. Am I missing something or are people just as brainwashed as they seem? As long as its the other guys getting the shaft its ok. Why are so few people, none of which I have seen here, making some of the previous comments on what current and past administrations should endure as a result for similar actions/decisions?

Let us assume that his bolded statement is true, I believe that it probably is to a large extent. We knowingly target persons even when we know innocent collateral casualties are very likely.

Yes, that's what happens in a war. In fact I don't know of any exception.
How does this make us any different then him?

Who is "them"? Terrorists? I believe the people believing in democracy and human rights are very different from those who attack little girsl, women, Chrstians, Gays, Jews, atheists, and so on.
Yet the reactions here are very different. Is one acceptable simply because it is government sanctioned murder or is the difference because these were Americans and those brown folk are from some place else?
Every law in the land is 'government sanctioned'. By saying 'brown folks' are you claiming there is racism involved here?

It seems so hypocritical to me. Am I missing something

I think you are missing something.
"or are people just as brainwashed as they seem?"

I know. It's always the other guy who is 'brainwashed'.

As long as its the other guys getting the shaft its ok.

Who got "the shaft" in this case?

Why are so few people, none of which I have seen here, making some of the previous comments on what current and past administrations should endure as a result for similar actions/decisions?

Not quite sure what you mean.

Interesting, didn't realize the army had this sort of rule, but it explains it right there in this article.

"but Army rules prohibit a judge from accepting a guilty plea to charges that carry the death penalty."
Except clearly they don't, as Bales was permitted to plead guilty to 16 capital murder charges and thus make a deal in which he avoids the DP.

Except clearly they don't, as Bales was permitted to plead guilty to 16 capital murder charges and thus make a deal in which he avoids the DP.

And your point is...??

Yes, that's what happens in a war. In fact I don't know of any exception.

Does this somehow make it more acceptable because at least in my view it is largely shrugged off by most Americans. As long as it isn't happening to those we care about people seem detached and largely uncaring.

Who is "them"? Terrorists? I believe the people believing in democracy and human rights are very different from those who attack little girsl, women, Chrstians, Gays, Jews, atheists, and so on.

While we may not be targeting people for those reasons we kill them all the same. In the end does it really matter? They are killed either way. At least to me it doesn't really matter if you killed me for any of the mentioned reason or you killed me because you wanted the person 30 yards away from me dead, I don't want to be killed.

Every law in the land is 'government sanctioned'. By saying 'brown folks' are you claiming there is racism involved here?

I wasn't trying to imply a racist motive. I meant to say what is happening is half a world away to people and places most of us have never met or seen.

What I meant by government sanctioned, if you walked up and killed a random innocent person in the US the government would imprison you or execute you for murder. If the government orders you to kill someone it has deemed an enemy of the country (innocent or not) you are not only expected to carry out that order but you are often proclaimed a hero, protecting the people of the US, honorably serve your country, ect. So it really inst about the killing of people that seems to be wrong but instead making sure you are only killing the people they want dead.

I think you are missing something.

I know. It's always the other guy who is 'brainwashed'.

Or perhaps I view every innocent human life as just as valuable as the next and do not view the killing of 13 Americans in any different light as I view us killing 13 Afghani. Yet it seems many if not most Americans do.

Who got "the shaft" in this case?

Thousands of innocent people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan.

Not quite sure what you mean.

It was my entire point. I just sorta rambled along and did not make a very good point of it.

Some people in this thread have expressed their desire that Hasan be treated in a very bad way for killing Americans. My point was Hasan killed 13 people and some Americans seem to be full of outrage and hate toward him. So why do people not express the same detest and outrage over the US government's actions which have killed thousands of innocent people over the past decade? The american people seem to have a us vs them mindset and completely forget or do not care that these are people just like you and I and deserve to live just as much as you or I (innocent people).

If everyone would show as much unhappiness each time a innocent person was killed regardless of which side it was on then perhaps war and killing wouldn't be such an easy option.

Does this somehow make it more acceptable because at least in my view it is largely shrugged off by most Americans. As long as it isn't happening to those we care about people seem detached and largely uncaring.
Well it is a war and innocents are killed, just as in 9/11, 7/7, the bombing of Australian vacationers in Bali and so on. What do you expect people to do?
While we may not be targeting people for those reasons we kill them all the same. In the end does it really matter? They are killed either way. At least to me it doesn't really matter if you killed me for any of the mentioned reason or you killed me because you wanted the person 30 yards away from me dead, I don't want to be killed
Yes, it has already been noted that innocents are killed in a time of war. There is no denying that.
I wasn't trying to imply a racist motive. I meant to say what is happening is half a world away to people and places most of us have never met or seen.
It isn't happening half a world away. terrorism is international;it's everywhere. It just happened in Boston in fact.
What I meant by government sanctioned, if you walked up and killed a random innocent person in the US the government would imprison you or execute you for murder. If the government orders you to kill someone it has deemed an enemy of the country (innocent or not) you are not only expected to carry out that order but you are often proclaimed a hero, protecting the people of the US, honorably serve your country, ect. So it really inst about the killing of people that seems to be wrong but instead making sure you are only killing the people they want dead.

You nailed it.
Or perhaps I view every innocent human life as just as valuable as the next and do not view the killing of 13 Americans in any different light as I view us killing 13 Afghani. Yet it seems many if not most Americans do.

Yes, they do.

Thousands of innocent people in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan.
And most of them by terrorists killing their own people.
It was my entire point. I just sorta rambled along and did not make a very good point of it.
No problem. None of us are professionals.

Some people in this thread have expressed their desire that Hasan be treated in a very bad way for killing Americans. My point was Hasan killed 13 people and some Americans seem to be full of outrage and hate toward him. So why do people not express the same detest and outrage over the US government's actions which have killed thousands of innocent people over the past decade? The american people seem to have a us vs them mindset and completely forget or do not care that these are people just like you and I and deserve to live just as much as you or I (innocent people).

Actually many have expressed outrage at the American people and their government, despite Obama getting a peace prize. But Hasan murdered his innocent unarmed co workers. We can see that another American, Bales, was just sent to prison for life for murdering innocent Afghanistanis. People who do this are punished, which demonstrates that the US Government does not intend to murder innocent people, though in war that is an inevitable consequence.
If everyone would show as much unhappiness each time a innocent person was killed regardless of which side it was on then perhaps war and killing wouldn't be such an easy option.
If we did that every time someone was killed, war or not, we would all wind up as depressed neurotic paranoiacs.

And your point is...??

Ah, I thought my point was plainly obvious. Clearly not.

It is that there is more than a suspicion that there is some degree of discrimination at work, with a person who attacks US military personnel being dealt with more severely than someone from the US military who attacks foreign civilians.

Back
Top Bottom