• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has your sexuality changed?

Has your sexuality changed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • No

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters
Who cares? It's not like you entered the relationship under the guise of fidelity. What changed? That she can't share your toy?

Relationships only fail to work when one wants something drastically different than the other. Other than a penis, the crux of the situation is still the same.

Wow, "who cares?" really? That's kinda harsh, don'tcha think?
Come on.
I wouldn't have thought it to have been an inevidibility really. Honestly it took me completely by surprise, granted a welcome surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.
As far as my female partner not sharing, it's not that she "can't" share rather she has no desire to do so. Also, yeah, I think on some level she and I did indeed enter into our relationship with some level of understanding of fidelity...to some extent. We just don't see this not being loyal to each other at all. There's no lying or sneaking behind anyone's back.
As I've always said, the most prevelent reason my relationship with my female partner has worked for as long as it has is because of communication and trust. Along with our undeniable love for each other, it's really those two things that has kept us "in love."

I'm just a little insulted that you're so nonchalant and dismissive of what I concider to be personal growth.

I answered yes but I didn't read the OP so I didn't know it was a question of sexual orientation. I am and always have been just attracted to men.

My approach to sex has changed. I am more in the moment these days as opposed to having attachments and expectations of the person I'm with. A lot of people aren't looking for love, they are looking for a reason to obsess about something. I used to be that way a few years ago and then I had my first long term relationship and I saw what healthy love really looks like.

JustineCredible said:
Wow, "who cares?" really? That's kinda harsh, don'tcha think?
Come on.

What I meant by that is "society shouldn't care". Whether they do or not, that's up to them.

I wouldn't have thought it to have been an inevidibility really. Honestly it took me completely by surprise, granted a welcome surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

Makes one of us. Although I wouldn't say "inevitability", I'd say "strong probability".

As far as my female partner not sharing, it's not that she "can't" share rather she has no desire to do so. Also, yeah, I think on some level she and I did indeed enter into our relationship with some level of understanding of fidelity...to some extent. We just don't see this not being loyal to each other at all. There's no lying or sneaking behind anyone's back.

It has nothing to do with "sneaking around". It's just an open relationship. It was previous to this; it apparently still is. As I asked before - what's changed? Because a figure with a penis may become a more permanent fixture? Doesn't change anything.

As I've always said, the most prevelent reason my relationship with my female partner has worked for as long as it has is because of communication and trust. Along with our undeniable love for each other, it's really those two things that has kept us "in love."

Well if that's what you believe, then that's what you believe.

I'm just a little insulted that you're so nonchalant and dismissive of what I concider to be personal growth.

Sorry, I don't consider polyamory to be "personal growth". If that's part of your self-actualization process, knock yourself out. I've never had any problem committing to a woman worth committing to.

Obviously we don't have that in common.

What I meant by that is "society shouldn't care". Whether they do or not, that's up to them.

Fair enough, I agree with you there.

Makes one of us. Although I wouldn't say "inevitability", I'd say "strong probability".

Really? "Andy" and I actually didn't speak for several years since the last time I saw him. (Before all this, that is) He had moved from the Midwest to Colorado to pursue his dream, and get married. There was always one rule we had between us, that we never broke, it was that we never crossed the 'marriage' line. If he or I were married, we would be 'hands-off.'
Neither of us had any problems with that in the past.

It has nothing to do with "sneaking around". It's just an open relationship. It was previous to this; it apparently still is. As I asked before - what's changed? Because a figure with a penis may become a more permanent fixture? Doesn't change anything.

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with "sneaking around" I never suggested it did.
But to assume my female partner and I had an "open" relationship previous to "Andy" is to make assumptions that were not implied. I did say she was "open" to the idea of having a poly relationship, but until such time as we BOTH agreed, we had no such relationship at all.

Well if that's what you believe, then that's what you believe.

What, you don't think that communication and trust are escential to a healthy and long lasting relationship? Or is it that you don't think those things have anything to do with loving your partner? Either way, I can't see how you can claim to love anyone if you don't trust them or have any sort of communication with them.

Sorry, I don't consider polyamory to be "personal growth". If that's part of your self-actualization process, knock yourself out. I've never had any problem committing to a woman worth committing to.

So, you're saying that self-actualization isn't part of personal growth?
Honestly, Gipper, I just don't understand how you can make such assumptions about me like that. I have never been in any sort of "open relationship" with anyone. Nor do I now. To me an "open relationship" is license to cheat. I find that insulting and degrading to anyone who puts up with that sort of behavior out of anyone they claim to love, or who they assume loves them. My partner and I have been purely monogamous for nearly FIFTEEN YEARS, we are fully committed to one another. Nothing there has changed at all. I'm still committed to her as well as love and respect her.
Honestly, I never would have even considered a poly relationship at all with anyone else until "Andy" popped back into my life again. I hadn't heard from him in nearly ten years before all this. Granted, his mother and I have kept in contact for years, but that's because I have been friends with "Andy" for so long that she and I developed a close friendship as well over time. She would let me know how he was doing and if he had done anything stupid like get himself seriously injured. (Which in his profession is not uncommon, it's a high risk career to live and work in avalanch prone areas.) But as far as butting into his personal life, I kept a respectful distance. I actually liked his last spouse and had hoped it would work out. Unfortunately, it didn't on the long-term.
Even after I had learned of the dissolusion of his marriage I didn't attempt direct contact with "Andy." Again, I respected him and assumed if he wanted to resume contact with me I'd hear it from him. Which after another couple of years, I did. Granted, another mutual friend of ours did not respect him in any such way and immediately jumped at the first chance she could to wiggle her way into his life. Only because of that did he contact me again. I didn't even know this mutual friend had done such a thing until "Andy" told me himself. I hadn't spoken with the mutual friend in an even longer period of time for personal reasons.
So, honestly, the fact that "Andy" and I even started speaking again was something he initiated, on his own. Even his mother didn't know he had contacted me again until I mentioned it to her.

Gosh, I just think that people really make a lot of assumptions when they only have a few of the facts, and in doing so, insult those about whom they make assumptions.

Obviously we don't have that in common.

Obviously

Last edited:
Really? "Andy" and I actually didn't speak for several years since the last time I saw him. (Before all this, that is) He had moved from the Midwest to Colorado to pursue his dream, and get married. There was always one rule we had between us, that we never broke, it was that we never crossed the 'marriage' line. If he or I were married, we would be 'hands-off.'
Neither of us had any problems with that in the past.

I wasn't talking about "Andy" specifically, just men in general. If you are truly bisexual, insofar that you find attraction [somewhat] equal between both sexes, the chances of you finding a male you can interact with on an emotional level is almost certain. I don't believe for one moment that you can find physical attraction to a gender without the chance of emotional attraction. It can be done on a case-by-case basis, but not a general level. After all, the ratio between women I've screwed and women I've actually given a damn about is incredibly skewed, but the possibility is always there.

You're right, it doesn't have anything to do with "sneaking around" I never suggested it did.
But to assume my female partner and I had an "open" relationship previous to "Andy" is to make assumptions that were not implied. I did say she was "open" to the idea of having a poly relationship, but until such time as we BOTH agreed, we had no such relationship at all.

I was just saying that because I thought you mentioned something about still having "relations" with men even though you were with this other chick on an emotional level. If I misread that, then strike what I said because it's inapplicable here.

What, you don't think that communication and trust are escential to a healthy and long lasting relationship? Or is it that you don't think those things have anything to do with loving your partner? Either way, I can't see how you can claim to love anyone if you don't trust them or have any sort of communication with them.

Of course I do. It just so happens that one of the components in my view of trust in a relationship is that I'm her only one. In my world, cheating is cheating is cheating. Gender doesn't matter. Orientation doesn't matter. And since I don't condone "open" relationships with any woman I become romantically involved with, previous knowledge doesn't matter.

It ultimately boils down to vastly different views of the same subjects, which just happens to include open relationships.

Personally growth = letting a former lover move in with you and your current lover, and then hooking up with him? That's an interesting use of the term "personal growth."

Personally growth = letting a former lover move in with you and your current lover, and then hooking up with him? That's an interesting use of the term "personal growth."

WOW...talk about jaded. "Hooking up with" really? Is that how you see things? Sad really.
How petty and shallow a comment.

I wasn't talking about "Andy" specifically, just men in general. If you are truly bisexual, insofar that you find attraction [somewhat] equal between both sexes, the chances of you finding a male you can interact with on an emotional level is almost certain. I don't believe for one moment that you can find physical attraction to a gender without the chance of emotional attraction. It can be done on a case-by-case basis, but not a general level. After all, the ratio between women I've screwed and women I've actually given a damn about is incredibly skewed, but the possibility is always there.

Wait on second. Just because I find males sexually attractive doesn't mean I want to, nor do I sleep with everyone I come across that fits that definition. The fact is, and you either missed it or ignored it entirely, is that my female partner and I have been MONOGAMOUS up until now.
The idea of sleeping with ANYONE regardless of gender, while with my partner was a foreign concept to me, it never crossed my mind.
Not that I have any problem with poly relationships, NOT OPEN...that's entirely different in my book, it just wasn't something I would have put into my lexicon of possibilities.

I was just saying that because I thought you mentioned something about still having "relations" with men even though you were with this other chick on an emotional level. If I misread that, then strike what I said because it's inapplicable here.

Hmmm...what part of my partner and I having a MONOGAMOUS relationship wasn't clear before?

Of course I do. It just so happens that one of the components in my view of trust in a relationship is that I'm her only one. In my world, cheating is cheating is cheating. Gender doesn't matter. Orientation doesn't matter. And since I don't condone "open" relationships with any woman I become romantically involved with, previous knowledge doesn't matter.

I can respect your choice here. I too don't condone "open" relationships insofar as to me it seems to be a form of permitted cheating. I get what you're saying, but Poly Amory is entirely different. It's not an "open" relationship, it's a closed relationship with more than just two partners. In my case, it's three, committed partners. There's no cheating, it's not a revolving door.

It ultimately boils down to vastly different views of the same subjects, which just happens to include open relationships.

I don't feel that "open relationships" and Poly relationships are the same things at all. Maybe that's just me.

In your life has your sexuality changed, or became more fluid?

Personally I would have to say yes. I have been attracted to both sexes, but right now, I would definitely have to say that I am attracted to women more than men.

I go back and forth.
sometimes I'm more girl bent. sometimes I'm more guy bent.
I think I like both sexes in different ways.

I'm starting to like transexuals- mainly pre-opt. I was never attracted to that type of person before

Back
Top Bottom