• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has Trump recieved any bill that would fund (open) the government?

jdog21

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
We here a lot of this is Trumps shutdown mainly due to a commit he said to Sen. Chuck at the white house. But for one to actually take the blame for a shutdown he would have to be the one to actually stop something.
All the actual evidence I've seen (not the made up media junk) is that a spending bill passed the Senate but never was brought up in the house. Another bill which passed the senate was amended to add funded for the wall was passed in the house and the senate now is debating it in the senate, but cannot vote on it until a cloture vote is received which democrats are successfully filibustering.
So If the shutdown is Trumps fault were are the bill (please provide the bill number) that are awaiting his signature or veto?

We here a lot of this is Trumps shutdown mainly due to a commit he said to Sen. Chuck at the white house. But for one to actually take the blame for a shutdown he would have to be the one to actually stop something.
All the actual evidence I've seen (not the made up media junk) is that a spending bill passed the Senate but never was brought up in the house. Another bill which passed the senate was amended to add funded for the wall was passed in the house and the senate now is debating it in the senate, but cannot vote on it until a cloture vote is received which democrats are successfully filibustering.
So If the shutdown is Trumps fault were are the bill (please provide the bill number) that are awaiting his signature or veto?

Where is Trump's proposal that Democrats would accept?

Oh no say it's not true? This could cause problems to be able to blame the president! :(

There was a combined bill that passed the senate.. but the republican controlled house (at the time).. would not take it up because trump stated he would not sign the bill.

The democrat house has passed bills that the Senate now refuses to take up (despite its very close to what the senate bill that was passed previously) because the senate majority leader refuses to take up a bill until Trump states that he is willing to sign it.

Basically it hinges all on trump. there are compromise bills.. that give basically trump everything he wants including more money for border security. In fact.. prior bipartisan bills also provided more money for border security which trump has not spent yet. The ONLY thing that democrats and a number of republicans do not support is money specifically designated for a wall which frankly is an idiotic idea..

So.. trump refuses to compromise.. .and republicans are not going to pass a compromise bill.. that he will not back.. because it will make them look foolish if they pass a bill that he vetoes. It will hurt them in their primaries.

No such thing can exist since Trump wants more physical barrier funding and Pelosi wants none.

I don't believe that's true. trump wants money specifically for a WALL.

Democrats have voted from money that goes for upgrading existing physical barriers.. fencing etc. They are not going to give him money to build a useless monument to himself.

No such thing can exist since Trump wants more physical barrier funding and Pelosi wants none.

No such thing can exist since Democrats don't want to fund a stupid wall built on a narrative of lies and Trump insists on putting that into the spending bill.

These games are silly because Republicans lost the public debate already.

There was a combined bill that passed the senate.. but the republican controlled house (at the time).. would not take it up because trump stated he would not sign the bill.

The democrat house has passed bills that the Senate now refuses to take up (despite its very close to what the senate bill that was passed previously) because the senate majority leader refuses to take up a bill until Trump states that he is willing to sign it.

Basically it hinges all on trump. there are compromise bills.. that give basically trump everything he wants including more money for border security. In fact.. prior bipartisan bills also provided more money for border security which trump has not spent yet. The ONLY thing that democrats and a number of republicans do not support is money specifically designated for a wall which frankly is an idiotic idea..

So.. trump refuses to compromise.. .and republicans are not going to pass a compromise bill.. that he will not back.. because it will make them look foolish if they pass a bill that he vetoes. It will hurt them in their primaries.

Was going to type up a similar response.

Only thing I would add is that McConnell shares a large part of the blame in the present moment.

Speaking of political entrapment... :doh

Where is Trump's proposal that Democrats would accept?

He doesn't right legislation, he can make recommendation only and some other Senator or House member would have to bring it up before congress. The proposals to fund the government are already out there and you can track their progress on congress.gov. So where are the Democrats proposals at?
And you never answered the question of what bill Trump is responsible for vetoing or not signing etc.

First,, let's be clear: The government IS open, about 75% of its functions are being performed as normal. That said, as fair as I've seen no bills have been passed to restore funding to the rest.

Only thing I would add is that McConnell shares a large part of the blame in the present moment.

Yep. McConnell needs to let the Senate vote.

He doesn't right legislation, he can make recommendation only and some other Senator or House member would have to bring it up before congress. The proposals to fund the government are already out there and you can track their progress on congress.gov. So where are the Democrats proposals at?
And you never answered the question of what bill Trump is responsible for vetoing or not signing etc.

But he must sign that legislation, so what has he proposed that they could write, knowing it would be signed? The wall is obviously not going to happen, so what has Trump offered as a compromise?

Thank you for understanding how this is congresses fault.
Please also provide evidence of the bill for the bolded section, I have a feeling this has already been debunked

First,, let's be clear: The government IS open, about 75% of its functions are being performed as normal. That said, as fair as I've seen no bills have been passed to restore funding to the rest.

Agree

Yep. McConnell needs to let the Senate vote.

That's where I'm at with it. McConnell concerns himself with 3 dimensional chess to the detriment of the American people. At some point or another the GOP has to see that the Democrats have more leverage. And that simply out-stubborning the Democrats, like they have done in the past, isn't going to work here.

But he must sign that legislation, so what has he proposed that they could write, knowing it would be signed? The wall is obviously not going to happen, so what has Trump offered as a compromise?

Congress has to offer it, and then we can see what Trump does with it.

He really has no choice in this climate. If he allows a vote.. its going to put a lot of republican senators in a tough spot. Go against their party.. or go against the people in their districts.

The only possible thing he can do now really is.. hope the president can make the case for the wall that the majority of americans will accept and pressure the democrats to capitulate (which does not seem likely).

Possibly offer a amazing deal to Pelosi.. which gives them citizenship for the DACA folks, gives them changes for amnesty, basically gives them everything they want on immigration.. in exchange for 5 billion for trump to "build his wall".

(if he can get trump to sign off on it... in all likelihood.. Trump would agree to the plan.. until Limbaugh and Hannity and the other right wing media get wind of the deal and lambast it.. and then Trump will change his mind making republican senators look stupid).

OR.. he can hope that Trump declares an emergency.. starts using other monies for the wall.. and it goes to a long court case. Which hopefully the people don't blame the republicans on.. and the democrats and republicans can now get funding for government.

Congress has to offer it, and then we can see what Trump does with it.

Yeah.. its not going to work like that. The republicans have already been burned several times by that. Trump indicates he will sign a bill they produce.. then at the last minute he backs out and it makes them look bad to their base.

Until the president gives the Senate republicans clear direction in what he will sign (and stick to it). You ain;t seeing anything from the Senate.

I don't believe that's true. trump wants money specifically for a WALL.

Democrats have voted from money that goes for upgrading existing physical barriers.. fencing etc. They are not going to give him money to build a useless monument to himself.

How about money for more fencing. The amount of fencing I believe sits at 600 miles, so how about adding 200 more miles to it. Seems like a reasonable compromise. But what bill something like that in it? I think none.

Thank you for understanding how this is congresses fault.
Please also provide evidence of the bill for the bolded section, I have a feeling this has already been debunked

You can't be serious. This is so stupid it hurts. You do understand that Mitch had the bill ready to sign, Trump had signaled he would pass it.
Then Trump watched/listened to right wing fake news, and changed his mind. He signaled he would NOT sign it.
Mitch will not bring it to the floor, without Trump agreeing he'll sign it, because then Mitch looks stupid, and Republicans look at odds.

Republicans...can coordinate their activities. Wow, jdog21 just learned something! Coordination? Really? That's possible? What did they do, speak language that their brains decoded and then they "understood" something??!?!

This scrambling to try and make this someone else's problem, is ****ing hilariously stupid and crazy. Using illogical nonsense in this way, you could blame anyone..you could blame Mexico for not paying for the wall while you're at it...derp.

He really has no choice in this climate. If he allows a vote.. its going to put a lot of republican senators in a tough spot. Go against their party.. or go against the people in their districts.

I'm having trouble seeing how the Senators seats would be in jeopardy. In purple states it doesn't seem a problem? But, in deep red ones, you're saying if the Senators pass the bill without the Wall, they will be primaried out in 2020?

The only possible thing he can do now really is.. hope the president can make the case for the wall that the majority of americans will accept and pressure the democrats to capitulate (which does not seem likely).

The president is filled with lies and propaganda. I'm afraid he has long since spent his political capital.

Possibly offer a amazing deal to Pelosi.. which gives them citizenship for the DACA folks, gives them changes for amnesty, basically gives them everything they want on immigration.. in exchange for 5 billion for trump to "build his wall".

I've been for this outcome since that last time the budget talks were underway. Trump's current excuse about DACA is something about a judge's ruling. He's acting like his hands are tied. Suspiciously his hands are tied in favor of the Stephen Millers and the xenophobes out there. And I'm sure Trump's just dying to protect the Dreamers.

(if he can get trump to sign off on it... in all likelihood.. Trump would agree to the plan.. until Limbaugh and Hannity and the other right wing media get wind of the deal and lambast it.. and then Trump will change his mind making republican senators look stupid).

OR.. he can hope that Trump declares an emergency.. starts using other monies for the wall.. and it goes to a long court case. Which hopefully the people don't blame the republicans on.. and the democrats and republicans can now get funding for government.

This is the problem with electing an extremist to the Presidency. You have 2 or 3 radio wingnuts berating him and riling the extremist base up, while 70% of the country just shakes their heads.

Back
Top Bottom