• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has time came for unification?

Thus, it is not just me that calls my country "Dardania." Intellectuals, historians, one main political party (i.e., LDK), as well as the president calls it for what it always was, and that is "Dardania."

Thus, it is not just me that calls my country "Dardania." Intellectuals, historians, one main political party (i.e., LDK), as well as the president calls it for what it always was, and that is "Dardania."

How does that relate to the history of religion in Dardania? What do you see yourself and the majority of your people as?

But it's wrong.

It's like Albania call itself Illyria.

How does that relate to the history of religion in Dardania? What do you see yourself and the majority of your people as?

History of religion starts with Roman Catholicism, we "correct" it to orthodox Christianity, and then we convert to Islam. So we stand for all those three religions. But if you ask me personally, I think the root of Albanian religion is Albanianism, with still lingering traces of paganism.

History of religion starts with Roman Catholicism, we "correct" it to orthodox Christianity, and then we convert to Islam. So we stand for all those three religions. But if you ask me personally, I think the root of Albanian religion is Albanianism, with still lingering traces of paganism.

I believe the History of Religion goes back further than Rome. ;)

But it's wrong.

It's like Albania call itself Illyria.

I do not see what is wrong with Illiria neither. I thin one should call themselves with whichever name they best identify with. That way when one calls you with the better identified named then you can be more certain that they are addressing you, and not some other who knows what Slavic meaning that we still currently have.

I was in Albania this weekend. Everyone I met was cheerful and knew where I was from when I told them that I was from Dardania.

Reasons why the current name of our country should change are the following:

a) The name is meaningless in Albanian, yet Albanians are both natives and the majority (imagine living under a country with a meaningless name :shock: ).

b) The name is meaningful only to a small minority inside our country, while we are the majority (i.e., think democracy).

c) The name is meaningful to foreigners that live as a majority abroad to our country. The name is meaningful and appealing to them and not to us (i.e., are we "inviting" those foreigners back?)

d) The meaning of the name in that foreign language is demeaning to all Albanians.

If a, b, c, d, then the current name should change back to Dardania.

For now though you guys could either choose to call our country the way it is meaningful to us, or call it how it is meaningful to others.

The current President of Albania comments that Albania and Dardania shall at last unite:

“Bota sot”: A do të ndodhë një ditë bashkimi kombëtar!?

Presidenti Nishani: Pa diskutim që bashkimi kombëtar do të ndodh, nuk ka asnjë arsye, por ajo do të vije në mënyrë të natyrshme, dhe të jesh e sigurt që do vijë në mënyrën më evropiane të mundshme, ashtu siç kemi parë sot në Evropë projekte dhe realitete krejt demokratike dhe krejt normale.

Translation from me:

World Today: Will unification ever happen one day?

President Nishani: It is not negotiable that unification will indeed happen, there is no reason for it not to, but it will come in a natural way, and you should be sure that it will come in the most European way possible, ways that we have seen today in European projects and realities entirely democratic and normal.

References (in Albanian):

Nishani: Pa diskutim bashkimi kombëtar do të ndodh! Nuk mund të ketë komb kosovar në Kosovë! - Kosova - Bota Sot

The current President of Albania comments that Albania and Dardania shall at last unite:

Translation from me:

President Nishani: It is not negotiable that unification will indeed happen, there is no reason for it not to, but it will come in a natural way, and you should be sure that it will come in the most European way possible, ways that we have seen today in European projects and realities entirely democratic and normal.

Nishani: Pa diskutim bashkimi kombëtar do të ndodh! Nuk mund të ketë komb kosovar në Kosovë! - Kosova - Bota Sot

So, has it been the case that the move for Kosovan independence has only ever been as a stepping stone to union with Albania? Should we believe that when you asked for UN support for your independence, you were not telling the truth? You were wanting independence only in order to make union with Albania possible in the longer term? Have we, the rest of the world, been lied to? If so, shouldn't we just withdraw UN troops from Kosovo and let the Albanian army protect you from the Serbs?

Translation from me:

So, has it been the case that the move for Kosovan independence has only ever been as a stepping stone to union with Albania? Should we believe that when you asked for UN support for your independence, you were not telling the truth? You were wanting independence only in order to make union with Albania possible in the longer term? Have we, the rest of the world, been lied to? If so, shouldn't we just withdraw UN troops from Kosovo and let the Albanian army protect you from the Serbs?

Nice try,

1) There are no UN troops in Dardania, nor there ever were,

2) Unifying with Albania is new development (see 1st post),

3) The Albanian army is in NATO, so yes. In fact, by joining Albania we join NATO also.

Nice try,

1) There are no UN troops in Dardania, nor there ever were,
Okay, then should the KFOR be withdrawn by NATO?

2) Unifying with Albania is new development (see 1st post),
I don't think it is so new. It was openly discussed as a possible development during the 1999 intervention.

3) The Albanian army is in NATO, so yes. In fact, by joining Albania we join NATO also.
Yeah. Not going to happen. Greece and Spain, far more important and influential NATO members, would block any such thing happening.

Okay, then should the KFOR be withdrawn by NATO?

*sigh*

KFOR is NATO :roll:

I don't think it is so new. It was openly discussed as a possible development during the 1999 intervention.

Yet we aimed for independence nevertheless. But since it is risky and it costs foreign troops to be here, a good solution would be unification.

Yeah. Not going to happen. Greece and Spain, far more important and influential NATO members, would block any such thing happening.

What is not going to happen? Albania is already a NATO member. Since we are one of the same people then with unification it would be a same Albania only with more people supporting NATO.

Also, they have been more understanding recently:

Greece supports Kosovo towards EU integration - Ministry of European Integration - Republic of Kosovo

The Greek ambasador of Dardania said recently that recognizing our independence may be an option (see below references in Albanian):

Ambasadorja Athanassiadou:  Greqia nuk e përjashton mundësinë që ta njoh Kosovën | Bota Press

Ambasadorja greke në Prishtinë nuk e përjashton njohjen e Kosovës - Lajmet e fundit nga Kosova dhe Rajoni - GazetaExpress

A do ta njohë Athina Kosovën? Ambasadorja greke: S’përjashtojmë mundësinë – Ora News

Ambasadorja: Greqia nuk e përjashton njohjen e Kosovës | Gazeta Panorama ONLINE

Back
Top Bottom