• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the USA's stature in the world risen or fallen under Trump?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I heard talking heads today say that our stature in the world has fallen under Trump. What do you think, risen or fallen, and please give your reasons for your belief.

I would say it has collapsed under Trump. Even our closest allies are mocking us.

image.jpg

I heard talking heads today say that our stature in the world has fallen under Trump. What do you think, risen or fallen, and please give your reasons for your belief.

It has been falling for many years.

It is still falling.

Donald Trump has abandoned the once admired and respected position our country had, in favor of some strange mixture of Isolation and Totalitarian dreams while snubbing traditional allies and friends to chum up to places like Russia, Turkey, Saudi...etc...YES our stature has been diminished and damaged in the eyes of the nations that loved us but increased in the eyes of our adversaries.

Fallen. Countries who worked closely with us before are being guarded in what information to share with a president who has diarrhea of the mouth. Countries who relied upon us in the past are making plans for how to proceed without a partnership with us. Trump is being managed, with autocratic countries more free to flatter him and thus gaining more favor with him. But the autocratic countries won't be our new allies -- they are merely using Trump. And our relations with our old allies could take years to repair, if the other countries are even interested after Trump is gone.

We had been having trouble with keeping our promises already -- for example, we fell down on the job of providing safe passage for Iraqis who helped us during the Iraq war -- but our word is worth less than nothing now. Treaties are toilet paper to our current government and "agreements" mean even less.

Fallen. Countries who worked closely with us before are being guarded in what information to share with a president who has diarrhea of the mouth. Countries who relied upon us in the past are making plans for how to proceed without a partnership with us. Trump is being managed, with autocratic countries more free to flatter him and thus gaining more favor with him. But the autocratic countries won't be our new allies -- they are merely using Trump. And our relations with our old allies could take years to repair, if the other countries are even interested after Trump is gone.

We had been having trouble with keeping our promises already -- for example, we fell down on the job of providing safe passage for Iraqis who helped us during the Iraq war -- but our word is worth less than nothing now. Treaties are toilet paper to our current government and "agreements" mean even less.

How did it work out when Obama was caught spying on our allies?

You should have used the Hillary distraction, the Obama one kinda sucks...……...everyone listens in on cell phones and Trump tweets it anyway so they don't need to.

It's in free fall.

Trump has bullied, insulted, and betrayed allies. He defends dictators and protects a regime that dismembered a US resident journalist opponent.

I did not ask for deflections, I asked if our stature has risen or fallen. Please stay of the subject of the OP.

Iraq Once Again Wants Us Out.

Trump is whittling away at our options for places to keep troops in case we need them in a hot spot fast.

You can argue that this is good. Nevertheless, it is loss of stature.

You for example have Pew Research Centers study that show how the confidence in the US and the American president have dropped under Trump.

Trump Approval Worldwide Remains Low Especially Among Key Allies | Pew Research Center

I also just watch Pine Gap an intersting Australian show about people working at the US/Australia joint defence facility in central Australia,. That the show have a Trump like president and increasing mistrust between the Australians and the Americans and toward the American president. While also increasing tension between US and a more dominant China. That even if it's just is a fictional show it still say something about the time we live in.

I did not ask for deflections, I asked if our stature has risen or fallen. Please stay of the subject of the OP.

Agendas should be challenged.

America takes a hit with every republican president, so this is a "nothingburger" question to begin with.

The world still calls 911 for American carriers regardless of their belly aching.

Fallen like a rock because only stupid people could have elected such an obvious con artist

No, our "stature" hasn't fallen, but, respect for our nation by world powers around the world is in the gutter. These United States are still THE most militarily powerful and economically strongest nation on the planet.<-period

But because of trumps petty, impetuous and contentious nature respect for our nation has become laughable. Out next President's biggest and hardest task will be to restore that respect.

Back
Top Bottom