• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has The Republican Party Embraced The Policies Of George Wallace?

I imagine the reasons anyone votes for someone are as varied as the people themselves. Personally, it seems like it should be offensive to liberals for anyone to suggest that someone should vote in any particular way just based on the color of their skin, yet, for some reason, it's not.

I imagine the reasons anyone votes for someone are as varied as the people themselves. Personally, it seems like it should be offensive to liberals for anyone to suggest that someone should vote in any particular way just based on the color of their skin, yet, for some reason, it's not.

Like I said.....explain to me why 90% of Blacks and 75% of Hispanics vote for Democrats. I would say they know something.

George Wallace was a democrat.

Like I said.....explain to me why 90% of Blacks and 75% of Hispanics vote for Democrats. I would say they know something.

I'd have to know each of the people who voted. Unlike you, I don't make assumptions based on race.

Yep, like you said the Democrats knew something...:

“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.”—LBJ

“I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

...knew something indeed!

Yep, like you said the Democrats knew something...:

“I’ll have those niggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” —Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One -

...knew something indeed!

And the T Party is still wanting to send them back to Africa. Oh Well....at least they aren't still buying, beating and lynching them.

The Republicans have been shooting themselves in the foot for thirty years but nothing to keep up with this.

Last edited:
And the T Party is still wanting to send them back to Africa.

Unless you can substantiate this with a reliable source it is a LIE...carry on!

If not why do 90% of blacks and 75% of Hispanics vote Democrat?

George Wallace's stand in the schoolhouse door - YouTube

FDR and the great depression had a lot if not most to do with blacks switching from the GOP to Democrat. In fact the majority of whites also became Democrats during this time. Since FDR, Eisenhower is the only Republican President to garner as much as 40% of the black vote. Nixon in 1960 received around 30% and it has gone down hill from there. But blacks are very loyal to their political party, pre FDR, they were just as loyal to the Republicans although due to the laws, a lot fewer were allowed to vote.

The view of the Democrats as being the party of social justice also has a lot to do with how blacks, hispanics and jews vote. Becoming the party of George Wallace really has nothing to do with it. Wallace by the way was a Democrat as most segregationist from the south were. But that was back when both parties had their liberal and conservative wings. I would imagine over 50% of the American populace identified themselves as Democrats during FDR's time. I haven't been able to find any stats to verify that, but it is a pretty safe assumption. The Republican Party still hasn't caught up from those days.

The Republican party attempts to implement policies that are particularly slanted against the black community in general. Some of this is more secondary to policies being directed against poor people; this has disproportionate influence on black people.

While some people in this thread are getting smug about those darn liberals and race, I'd point out that it was incredibly common before, during, and after the 2008 and 2012 elections for Republicans on this very board to claim black people only voted for Obama because he's black. (or alternatively, because they want handouts. unlike us white people, right?)

edit: Oh, and women only voted for Obama because he's handsome and articulate. So apparently only white Republican males vote on honest political ideology. Everyone else votes for frivolous or greedy reasons.

FDR and the great depression had a lot if not most to do with blacks switching from the GOP to Democrat. In fact the majority of whites also became Democrats during this time. Since FDR, Eisenhower is the only Republican President to garner as much as 40% of the black vote. Nixon in 1960 received around 30% and it has gone down hill from there. But blacks are very loyal to their political party, pre FDR, they were just as loyal to the Republicans although due to the laws, a lot fewer were allowed to vote.

The view of the Democrats as being the party of social justice also has a lot to do with how blacks, hispanics and jews vote. Becoming the party of George Wallace really has nothing to do with it. Wallace by the way was a Democrat as most segregationist from the south were. But that was back when both parties had their liberal and conservative wings. I would imagine over 50% of the American populace identified themselves as Democrats during FDR's time. I haven't been able to find any stats to verify that, but it is a pretty safe assumption. The Republican Party still hasn't caught up from those days.

Are you kidding? School desegregation was first tried in the early 1960's. When I hired in and reported for work at one of the biggest industrial plants in the world, Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Separation Facility Oct. 1st, 1952 there were separate water fountains, rest rooms and change houses. I had gotten totally used to seeing "White Only" signs it became a way of life at the workplace. New buildings after 1960 did not have separate accomodations for White and Black but that was the first time....at least in the south.

The whole thing was like pulling teeth but there has to be some reason why 90% of Blacks vote Democrat:

"In June 1941, Roosevelt issued Executive Order 8802, which created the Fair Employment Practices Committee (FEPC). It was the most important federal move in support of the rights of African-Americans between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The President's order stated that the federal government would not hire any person based on their race, color, creed, or national origin. The FEPC enforced the order to ban discriminatory hiring within the federal government and in corporations that received federal contracts. Millions of blacks and women achieved better jobs and better pay as a result. The war brought the race issue to the forefront. The Army and Navy had been segregated since the Civil War. But by 1940 the African-American vote had largely shifted from Republican to Democrat, and African-American leaders like Walter White of the NAACP and T. Arnold Hill of the Urban League had become recognized as part of the Roosevelt coalition. In June 1941, at the urging of A. Philip Randolph, the leading African-American trade unionist, Roosevelt signed an executive order establishing the Fair Employment Practice Commission and prohibiting discrimination by any government agency, including the armed forces. In practice the services, particularly the Navy and the Marines, found ways to evade this order — the Marine Corps remained all-white until 1943. In September 1942, at Eleanor's instigation, Roosevelt met with a delegation of African-American leaders, who demanded full integration into the forces, including the right to serve in combat roles and in the Navy, the Marine Corps and the United States Army Air Forces. Roosevelt agreed, but then did nothing to implement his promise. It was left to his successor, Harry S. Truman, to fully desegregate the armed forces."

Last edited:
Are you kidding? School desegregation was first tried in the early 1960's. When I hired in and reported for work at one of the biggest industrial plants in the world, Oak Ridge Gaseous Diffusion Separation Facility Oct. 1st, 1952 there were separate water fountains, rest rooms and change houses. I had gotten totally used to seeing "White Only" signs it became a way of life at the workplace. New buildings after 1960 did not have separate accomodations for White and Black but that was the first time....at least in the south.

That is a fact but it didn't affect their political ideology. The blacks of the north and west weren't effected by segregation as were those in the south. The blacks of the north and west were allowed to vote and vote they did. The blacks of the south under Democratic Party Jim Crowe laws weren't allowed to vote and were indeed second class citizens. But that didn't stop them from adoring FDR ideals and policies. JFK and LBJ were the presidents during the turbulent 60's. They were readily noticed as trying to help blacks out. The face of the movement along with MLK. It is very true without Everitt Dirksen and Republicans, civil rights legislation would have went no where. But Dirksen, Hugh Scott and the rest sure didn't get the face time on TV, they didn't have the bully pulpit so to speak.

There are probably more reasons than one can count, but FDR started the big shift. He was the one who provided hope. Eisenhower was pretty popular as seen in his vote totals among blacks, but he was seen as tepid when it came to civil rights although he did send in the troops. Nixon was given a chance in 1960 to speak before the NAACP, he turned it down and JFK accepted. Perhaps that was the missing opportunity to obtain those 100,000 votes he lost by. But I suppose the bottom line is, it is what it is.

Call it what you will or come up with reasons and excuses. The Democratic party is known as the party of inclusion, one can debate whether that is true or not. But that is the perspective of most and perception when it comes to voting over rules reality all the time.

That is a fact but it didn't affect their political ideology. The blacks of the north and west weren't effected by segregation as were those in the south. The blacks of the north and west were allowed to vote and vote they did. The blacks of the south under Democratic Party Jim Crowe laws weren't allowed to vote and were indeed second class citizens. But that didn't stop them from adoring FDR ideals and policies. JFK and LBJ were the presidents during the turbulent 60's. They were readily noticed as trying to help blacks out. The face of the movement along with MLK. It is very true without Everitt Dirksen and Republicans, civil rights legislation would have went no where. But Dirksen, Hugh Scott and the rest sure didn't get the face time on TV, they didn't have the bully pulpit so to speak.

There are probably more reasons than one can count, but FDR started the big shift. He was the one who provided hope. Eisenhower was pretty popular as seen in his vote totals among blacks, but he was seen as tepid when it came to civil rights although he did send in the troops. Nixon was given a chance in 1960 to speak before the NAACP, he turned it down and JFK accepted. Perhaps that was the missing opportunity to obtain those 100,000 votes he lost by. But I suppose the bottom line is, it is what it is.

Call it what you will or come up with reasons and excuses. The Democratic party is known as the party of inclusion, one can debate whether that is true or not. But that is the perspective of most and perception when it comes to voting over rules reality all the time.

All things considered sounds pretty good to me.

Like I said....bull****

Last edited:
And the T Party is still wanting to send them back to Africa. Oh Well....

Could you substanciate that with a link please? If not, then that leaves you with just 2 choices... You could do the honest thing and post a retraction, or you could do the progressive thing and simply stand by your race-baiting lies.

I know my vote is in on what you will do.

at least they aren't still buying, beating and lynching them.

I'm sorry, but that was the DEMOCTATS who were engaged in that behavior, not Republicans.

I would argue the repubs never gave up the tactics of Wallace.

And their attempt to suppress the vote of those who tend to vote for demcrats just continues to show it.

All things considered sounds pretty good to me.

The real important issue is how they vote. It will be a cold day in hell when blacks vote for a Republican....when Hispanics do either for that matter

you're probably right about blacks baring another depression or something of that ilk. One this time when a Democrat is in the White House. But I am not so sure about Hispanics. I think the right ticket, the right candidates could attract Hispanics. An example might be a Christie/Martinez ticket for 2016. Susan Martinez is the Hispanic Republican governor of New Mexico. Bush the second received 43% of the Hispanic vote. An attractive ticket is the key here along with talking about issues and to be seen whomever is the candidate cares about solving issues important to Hispanics. One thing is for sure, the GOP can't afford to continue to lose 70% of the Hispanic vote.

I would argue the repubs never gave up the tactics of Wallace.

And their attempt to suppress the vote of those who tend to vote for demcrats just continues to show it.

Wallace was a loyal democrat.

Wallace was a loyal democrat.

In June 1941, Roosevelt issued Executive Order 8802, which created the Fair Employment Practices Committee (FEPC). It was the most important federal move in support of the rights of African-Americans between Reconstruction and the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The President's order stated that the federal government would not hire any person based on their race, color, creed, or national origin. The FEPC enforced the order to ban discriminatory hiring within the federal government and in corporations that received federal contracts. Millions of blacks and women achieved better jobs and better pay as a result. The war brought the race issue to the forefront. The Army and Navy had been segregated since the Civil War. But by 1940 the African-American vote had largely shifted from Republican to Democrat, and African-American leaders like Walter White of the NAACP and T. Arnold Hill of the Urban League had become recognized as part of the Roosevelt coalition. In June 1941, at the urging of A. Philip Randolph, the leading African-American trade unionist, Roosevelt signed an executive order establishing the Fair Employment Practice Commission and prohibiting discrimination by any government agency, including the armed forces. In practice the services, particularly the Navy and the Marines, found ways to evade this order — the Marine Corps remained all-white until 1943. In September 1942, at Eleanor's instigation, Roosevelt met with a delegation of African-American leaders, who demanded full integration into the forces, including the right to serve in combat roles and in the Navy, the Marine Corps and the United States Army Air Forces. Roosevelt agreed, but then did nothing to implement his promise. It was left to his successor, Harry S. Truman, to fully desegregate the armed forces.

And now the Republicans have completely occupied the southern United States:

[img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jnDZmkICZs8/UJs5LSB97gI/AAAAAAAAb_U/OeuL1xlFjw0/s1600/2012-Election-Results-by-State-Red-Blue_NYTimes_11.07.2012.JPG

Last edited:
If not why do 90% of blacks and 75% of Hispanics vote Democrat?

George Wallace's stand in the schoolhouse door - YouTube

My guess would be that 90% of the blacks and 75% of the hispanics liked the democratic platform better than the republican one. But of course that would be wrong. I suspect a decent percentage of these voters are not unlike many white voters in that they really do not know nor care what a parties platform is. All that they really know is what party their parents voted for, what party most of their friends vote for and what party they would never vote for. Both parties could swap platforms for an election cycle and many people would not switch their vote to the other party. In someways, for some people, the party of choice is cultural.

And the T Party is still wanting to send them back to Africa. Oh Well....at least they aren't still buying, beating and lynching them.

The Republicans have been shooting themselves in the foot for thirty years but nothing to keep up with this.

We don't want to send them back to Africa, but I am willing to purchase a ticket for any liberal that thinks they can find somewhere better. Africa is great this time of year.

The Republican party attempts to implement policies that are particularly slanted against the black community in general. Some of this is more secondary to policies being directed against poor people; this has disproportionate influence on black people.

While some people in this thread are getting smug about those darn liberals and race, I'd point out that it was incredibly common before, during, and after the 2008 and 2012 elections for Republicans on this very board to claim black people only voted for Obama because he's black. (or alternatively, because they want handouts. unlike us white people, right?)

edit: Oh, and women only voted for Obama because he's handsome and articulate. So apparently only white Republican males vote on honest political ideology. Everyone else votes for frivolous or greedy reasons.

The poor black communities have been betrayed by their elected officials. They offer handouts and those in the community take them because they think it will help them. In reality they are just another type of chain, that tethers the black vote to whichever party is going to give them "stuff". Most elected officials in pre-dominately black areas are black, though people of all colors run for that position. They vote for the black candidate because they feel that person will not betray them. But black leaders such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Quanel X are only looking out for #1. I hate to see this, but it happens. I only reference blacks voting for handouts because the inner-city is where this most often takes place. Where I am from it is mostly black. But where I live there are plenty of bad apples of every color, their votes simply don't win local elections because they are overridden by the majority who work.

The poor black communities have been betrayed by their elected officials. They offer handouts and those in the community take them because they think it will help them. In reality they are just another type of chain, that tethers the black vote to whichever party is going to give them "stuff". Most elected officials in pre-dominately black areas are black, though people of all colors run for that position. They vote for the black candidate because they feel that person will not betray them. But black leaders such as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and Quanel X are only looking out for #1. I hate to see this, but it happens. I only reference blacks voting for handouts because the inner-city is where this most often takes place. Where I am from it is mostly black. But where I live there are plenty of bad apples of every color, their votes simply don't win local elections because they are overridden by the majority who work.

LOL! Hold that thought:

2012-Election-Results-by-State-Red-Blue_NYTimes_11.07.2012.JPG

Back
Top Bottom