• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the GOP joined Al Qaeda?

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It does seem that whatever the Democrats and their Fearless Leader are for, the Republicans are against. Now, it has become completely absurd.

REPUBLICANS THROW SUPPORT TO AL QAEDA IN FIT OF STUPIDITY

So, Al Queda wins a "fair election:roll:" and begins converting their nation to Radical Islam. The Egyptian Military say "hell no" and kicks them out. Obama continues supporting the new "guys in charge". The Republican's, out of some incredibly dumb compulsion to oppose anything Obama does, want to cut off aid and help Islamic Terrorism reclaim their "rightful place" as rulers.

Really? Seriously? I suppose when a political party wants to commit suicide, you can't stop them. But this doesn't make me happy. Our country runs best when both parties have some moderating influence on each other. Seeing the GOP disappear fill me with fear, not joy.

Am I wrong? Should the GOP support the enemy? Or should we be relieved that the Military, who gets along with Israel for one thing, has traken the reins and lcked up the terrorists?

Please discuss.

You can't just pin that on the GOP. The Obama administration has been aligned with al Qaida in Syria for a long time. Do to successful blockades at the UN by China and Russia to use military force in Syria, the administration trafficked arms to the al Qaida infested insurgents in Syria out of the Benghazi annex through Turkey.

It does seem that whatever the Democrats and their Fearless Leader are for, the Republicans are against. Now, it has become completely absurd.

So, Al Queda wins a "fair election:roll:" and begins converting their nation to Radical Islam. The Egyptian Military say "hell no" and kicks them out. Obama continues supporting the new "guys in charge". The Republican's, out of some incredibly dumb compulsion to oppose anything Obama does, want to cut off aid and help Islamic Terrorism reclaim their "rightful place" as rulers.

Really? Seriously? I suppose when a political party wants to commit suicide, you can't stop them. But this doesn't make me happy. Our country runs best when both parties have some moderating influence on each other. Seeing the GOP disappear fill me with fear, not joy.

Am I wrong? Should the GOP support the enemy? Or should we be relieved that the Military, who gets along with Israel for one thing, has traken the reins and lcked up the terrorists?

Please discuss.

So you are using the enemy of your enemy is your friend argument to justify continued US support of the Egyptian military rule. We should ignore the law, like Obama wishes to, and simply pretend that their are good military coups and bad military coups. The good ones do not get called such, thus permitting aid to continue as if they did not occur, but by also cancelling our joint military exercises we can pretend to object to the situation, that we continue to fund, as well.

You can't just pin that on the GOP. The Obama administration has been aligned with al Qaida in Syria for a long time. Do to successful blockades at the UN by China and Russia to use military force in Syria, the administration trafficked arms to the al Qaida infested insurgents in Syria out of the Benghazi annex through Turkey.

Let's discuss Egypt, not Syria. Being as they are 2 different countries. There are plenty of Obama-things to bitch about but let's try to stay on topic. Why is the GOP demanding that The Muslim "al Qaeda" Brotherhood be restored to their "rightful place" in Egypt?

Wait, you're now saying that the democratically elected, partially hamstringed and ineffective leader of Egypt is synonymous with Al Qaeda?

That's pretty ridiculously and obviously false.

The military staged a coup. We're supposed to cut off aid to nations overthrown by military coup, by law. I'd rather us never be giving money to any other nation, especially considering how far beyond broke and deadbeat we already are, but that's something we are legally obliged to do.

What did the Obama administration do to avoid the law? They refused to officially determine whether or not a coup had occurred. This is not a joke, that is actually what happened. And that's terrible.

Wait, you're now saying that the democratically elected, partially hamstringed and ineffective leader of Egypt is synonymous with Al Qaeda?

That's pretty ridiculously and obviously false. In democracies you sometimes elect poor leaders who can't get things done; you can then, you know, elect better ones when the opportunity comes back up...

The military staged a coup. We're supposed to cut off aid to nations overthrown by military coup, by law. I'd rather us never be giving money to any other nation, especially considering how far beyond broke and deadbeat we already are, but that's something we are legally obliged to do.

What did the Obama administration do to avoid the law? They refused to officially determine whether or not a coup had occurred. This is not a joke, that is actually what happened. And that's terrible.

Let's discuss Egypt, not Syria. Being as they are 2 different countries. There are plenty of Obama-things to bitch about but let's try to stay on topic. Why is the GOP demanding that The Muslim "al Qaeda" Brotherhood be restored to their "rightful place" in Egypt?

Sorry speck, I thought you wanted to talk about al Qaida sense its mentioned 2-3 times in your op and Egypt not at all. But then that sheds light on the dear leader and we don't want to do that.

So you are using the enemy of your enemy is your friend argument to justify continued US support of the Egyptian military rule. We should ignore the law, like Obama wishes to, and simply pretend that their are good military coups and bad military coups. The good ones do not get called such, thus permitting aid to continue as if they did not occur, but by also cancelling our joint military exercises we can pretend to object to the situation, that we continue to fund, as well.

Yes. Exactly. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is exactly what applies here. You can tell this sticks in Obama's craw but so what? The Egyptian Military is much more likely to continue the armistice agreements with Israel and thus make life a little safer for America. Or is nation building and "democracy" more important than achieving our hopes in the region.

Because US law requires it be done whether we like one side or the other; and

because they will be replaced by someone worse; and

because the Not-Quite White guy won.

Take your pick.

That's pretty ridiculously and obviously false.

OK, if I'm understanding you correctly, you think we should support the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt? I'll retract the Al Qaeda allegation although I think they are pretty much the same thing.

Bush was the first to reach out to the Muslim Brotherhood, entertaining them at the Whitehouse.

Using al Qaida to advance US foreign policy interests is a non-partisan venture. If they need to be the enemy, ok, if it works better over here that they're our friends, ok.

how in the hell in your little twisted mind can you come to that warped conclusion. so are you trying to absurdly imply if Republicans don't support Egypt's military then they most support Al Qaeda. you do know it is possible not to support either, you do know you can do that. It might take more then one brain cell to grasp that concept

Sorry speck, I thought you wanted to talk about al Qaida sense its mentioned 2-3 times in your op and Egypt not at all. But then that sheds light on the dear leader and we don't want to do that.

I could care less about Dear Leader but you're correct that I used the Al Qaeda term kind of loosely. My concern is what is best for America (and Israel since we seem tio have adopted them).

Because US law requires it be done whether we like one side or the other; and

because they will be replaced by someone worse; and

because the Not-Quite White guy won.

Take your pick.

The US is notorious for not "following the law" in all cases. Sometimes, it's better to break your laws when the outcome has as much impact as this does. So far, they have been replaced by "somebody better" and no matter how our politicians BOMFOG this, I'd rather have the Military running Egypt than Islamic Fundamentalists.

I don't have a partisan slant on this. I'm in favor of what has happened, and I can't understand why the GOP is so upset about it.

OK, if I'm understanding you correctly, you think we should support the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt? I'll retract the Al Qaeda allegation although I think they are pretty much the same thing.

Not at all.

I don't think we should have been providing aid to Egypt under Mubarak, I don't think we should have been providing aid to Egypt under Morsi, and we shouldn't be providing aid now. I don't say this out of any particular disdain for any party, or support for any other party.

For what it's worth, I certainly wouldn't vote for Morsi and don't think others should have, but they did.

Bush was the first to reach out to the Muslim Brotherhood, entertaining them at the Whitehouse.

Using al Qaida to advance US foreign policy interests is a non-partisan venture. If they need to be the enemy, ok, if it works better over here that they're our friends, ok.

Not sure how Bush gets into all these discussions. It's pretty obvious that the MB ain't our friends. They have to be handled. I wouldn't have advocated thatr we (America) enter the fray fore or against the MB. But this has been done for us and I don't get why that is a "bad thing".

Yes. Exactly. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is exactly what applies here. You can tell this sticks in Obama's craw but so what? The Egyptian Military is much more likely to continue the armistice agreements with Israel and thus make life a little safer for America. Or is nation building and "democracy" more important than achieving our hopes in the region.

That depends upon what your hopes in the region are. If keeping the peace between Egypt and Israel is the goal then why is paying billions to both, every year for eternity, so that each can then better be able to attack the other, seen as a good idea?

Ok, so you think US support of al Qaida is a good thing, Specklbang?

Not at all.

I don't think we should have been providing aid to Egypt under Mubarak, I don't think we should have been providing aid to Egypt under Morsi, and we shouldn't be providing aid now. I don't say this out of any particular disdain for any party, or support for any other party.

For what it's worth, I certainly wouldn't vote for Morsi and don't think others should have, but they did.

Alright, that's an honest statement. But we do provide aid to Egypt, we always have. Can't we just pretend the aid is for Egypt rather than any specific political party?

That depends upon what your hopes in the region are. If keeping the peace between Egypt and Israel is the goal then why is paying billions to both, every year for eternity, so that each can then better be able to attack the other, seen as a good idea?

Here's the thing though. Israel and Egypt have sort of worked things out. They aren't exclusive enemies. They both have other countries to deal with.

I'd be happy if we never sold another weapon to anyone and looked after our own. However, that's not going to happen unless Ron Paul gets elected, which I don't think is a very strong possibility. So, if we must enrich the MIC, lets get the most "bang for the buck" (pun intended).

Not sure how Bush gets into all these discussions. It's pretty obvious that the MB ain't our friends. They have to be handled. I wouldn't have advocated thatr we (America) enter the fray fore or against the MB. But this has been done for us and I don't get why that is a "bad thing".

I'm just saying that the op singles out the GOP, and I'm just saying that supporting al Qaida is a bi-partisan effort.

Alright, that's an honest statement. But we do provide aid to Egypt, we always have. Can't we just pretend the aid is for Egypt rather than any specific political party?

By law, the US has to cut off aid when a military coup occurs.

A military coup did occur.

Also, unfortunately I think our aid to Egypt is something like our aid to Israel, it's really a jobs bill for U.S. defense contractors. Nothing against the Boeings and the Raytheons and the Lockheeds per se, but I do NOT think we should be buying their products FOR Egypt or Israel or anyone else. We should only be buying what we use to defend us.

I would think others should be concerned we're giving military hardware (yes, giving - us taxpayers are buying the hardware and then they go to other nations) to a place with no constitution and no political leadership whatsoever... and even once they have those things, they'll be meaningless since the military is quite eager to etch-a-sketch them and start shooting protesters.

Last edited:

Please discuss.

Dishonest headline,even for a leftwing extremist. It's mainly the left that wants to cut Egypt aid,now that their heroes the Brotherhood are out. McCain and Graham are neocons like Obama and support the "Arab Spring".

Here's the thing though. Israel and Egypt have sort of worked things out. They aren't exclusive enemies. They both have other countries to deal with.

I'd be happy if we never sold another weapon to anyone and looked after our own. However, that's not going to happen unless Ron Paul gets elected, which I don't think is a very strong possibility. So, if we must enrich the MIC, lets get the most "bang for the buck" (pun intended).

Except when they are banging with our bucks then we get the fallout (via terrorist attacks) from being "involved". ;)

The puppet master is expected to control their puppet.

how in the hell in your little twisted mind can you come to that warped conclusion. so are you trying to absurdly imply if Republicans don't support Egypt's military then they most support Al Qaeda. you do know it is possible not to support either, you do know you can do that. It might take more then one brain cell to grasp that concept
•••I had to use up my one brain cell to overlook your inability to spell or express yourself. Why don't you see if you can address the topic without the personal attacks and disrespect?

I did not advocate the GOP choose sides. But they have and the side they have chosen seems to be the MB.

I'm just saying that the op singles out the GOP, and I'm just saying that supporting al Qaida is a bi-partisan effort.
•••It singles out the GOP because I brought a specific article to the table. The GOP looks ridiculous and this is not a good thing to my way of thinking. I like balanced government and I think the GOP is being self-destructive. So, this being a discussion board, I thought it was appropriate to discuss it.

By law, the US has to cut off aid when a military coup occurs.

A military coup did occur.
It did. You are right. But this happens to be a good thing for us and it seems we break plenty of laws right here at home so how can one more hurt when it just happens to be in our favor?

Back
Top Bottom