• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has the Earth cooled in the last decade?

And of course, the data will continue to be revised until it fits the desired conclusion.

Climate science has nothing on Phrenology.

Look, I'm not going to call you an idiot. I've been on your side of the fence and share a general distrust of large institutions that quite often like to force their ideas down your throat. However, after venturing out myself and looking at the issue, Anthropogenic Global Warming is a genuine threat.

I genuinely believe that this will cause serious problems for our planet in the future (and thereby our lives) if we just sit around and keep going business as usual. This is isn't just some island in the Pacific or some village that needs its fish in order to make some money, this is, well, look at Florida, New Orleans, New York City, Boston and San Francisco. If water rises by even just 4 feet, millions will have to relocate and hundreds of billions will need to be spent to cover all of this, money that could have been spent to at least invest in the economy a little bit.

If you're referring to the Medieval Warming Period, that's up for debate. From what I have read, there is certainly no consensus amongst the scientific communities. Bottom line, we are the warmest decade in 160 years. Before that, it was the 90's.

I'm referring to temperatures before that:

Ice_Age_Temperature.png

Holocene_Temperature_Variations_Rev.png

Or, if you prefer, a nice visualization:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFbUVBYIPlI"]YouTube- The Hockey Stick vs. Ice Core Data[/ame]

I don't take issue with the fact that we're contributing to a recent warming trend. What I do take issue with is the claim made by many (not by you specifically) that this temperature is unprecedented.

I genuinely believe that this will cause serious problems for our planet in the future (and thereby our lives) if we just sit around and keep going business as usual. This is isn't just some island in the Pacific or some village that needs its fish in order to make some money, this is, well, look at Florida, New Orleans, New York City, Boston and San Francisco. If water rises by even just 4 feet, millions will have to relocate and hundreds of billions will need to be spent to cover all of this, money that could have been spent to at least invest in the economy a little bit.

The most apocalyptic projection for the increase in sea level is 17 inches by 2090.

Effects of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have faith that we'll figure out something before we make it to 4 feet.

The most apocalyptic projection for the increase in sea level is 17 inches by 2090.

Effects of global warming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have faith that we'll figure out something before we make it to 4 feet.

Actually, that estimate is pretty rosy. It failed to take into account other things that could cause sea levels to jump, such as a dislocated ice sheet.

And even a foot would be pretty disastrous. It would wreak havoc with water ways and force nations to beef up their coastal defenses against storms and other harsh weather conditions (not all can afford a good quality wall against a storm.)

The problem is that we don't know just what will happen if so much CO2 gets out into the atmosphere. This has never been done before and we don't understand the full effects. This could either turn into a non-issue or we'll have a rise of water levels 1-2 inches a year, if not worse. We can't really run an experiment and get a good feel for what could possibly go wrong and there's a lot of guesswork as a result. But this guesswork is not some intellectual diarrhea.

And yes, I'm sure there are dishonest environmental groups out there. I've found some before :) . However, overall, I believe that we are making significant changes to the environment based on our activities.

Actually, that estimate is pretty rosy. It failed to take into account other things that could cause sea levels to jump, such as a dislocated ice sheet.

So you're more of an expert on these projections than the IPCC or any other climate organizations?

And even a foot would be pretty disastrous. It would wreak havoc with water ways and force nations to beef up their coastal defenses against storms and other harsh weather conditions (not all can afford a good quality wall against a storm.)

And like I said, I have faith that humanity will be able to deal with this at some point in the next 80 years.

The problem is that we don't know just what will happen if so much CO2 gets out into the atmosphere. This has never been done before and we don't understand the full effects. This could either turn into a non-issue or we'll have a rise of water levels 1-2 inches a year, if not worse. We can't really run an experiment and get a good feel for what could possibly go wrong and there's a lot of guesswork as a result. But this guesswork is not some intellectual diarrhea.

Where are you getting the idea that there would be a water level rise on the scale of 1-2 inches/year? I haven't heard anything to suggest that.

And yes, I'm sure there are dishonest environmental groups out there. I've found some before :) . However, overall, I believe that we are making significant changes to the environment based on our activities.

And again, I don't disagree with this. However, this conclusion is absolutely useless without knowing:

1) The extent of the change,
2) What that change would cost,
3) How it could be ameliorated, and
4) What that amelioration would cost

We can easily resolve the "climate warming" by simply injecting suphur dioxide into the upper atmosphere. The eruption of Mount Krakatoa in 1883 resulted in a 1.2 celcius degree drop in temperature the following year and normal temperatures didn't return for another five years. That is technologically possible right now.

The global warming scare is one huge money making scam to take money from the wealthy nations to give to the poor. And the biggest joke is to take from the U.S. to give to China of all places. What a joke! Guess who started this whole scare and where does he now live? Surprise, surprise. Right in Beijing, China and who is his spokesman? None other than Al Gore who stands to become fabulously wealthy by pushing this scam.

Follow the money. Always follow the money.

We can easily resolve the "climate warming" by simply injecting suphur dioxide into the upper atmosphere. The eruption of Mount Krakatoa in 1883 resulted in a 1.2 celcius degree drop in temperature the following year and normal temperatures didn't return for another five years. That is technologically possible right now.

Well, hell son, why didn't ya just say so?! You best call up them know-it-alls at NASA and set them straight.

Public Communications Office
NASA Headquarters
Suite 5K39
Washington, DC 20546-0001
(202) 358-0001 (Office)
(202) 358-4338 (Fax)

Go on, now. Give 'em call.

Start warmin' up that Nobel Prize, Missouri Mule is comin' to Norway!!

Well, hell son, why didn't ya just say so?! You best call up them know-it-alls at NASA and set them straight.

Public Communications Office
NASA Headquarters
Suite 5K39
Washington, DC 20546-0001
(202) 358-0001 (Office)
(202) 358-4338 (Fax)

Go on, now. Give 'em call.

Start warmin' up that Nobel Prize, Missouri Mule is comin' to Norway!!

You act like this isn't common knowledge or is something that MM is just making up, when in reality it's acknowledged as a possible option.

Can a Million Tons of Sulfur Dioxide Combat Climate Change?

Stratoshield: Nathan Myhrvold explains how to save the planet

Global Warming in SuperFreakonomics: The Anatomy of a Smear - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

You act like this isn't common knowledge or is something that MM is just making up, when in reality it's acknowledged as a possible option.

No, I'm laughing at the way partisan hacks dance from denying it even exists to throwing out offhanded remarks about "better" solutions.

Make up your minds.

No, I'm laughing at the way partisan hacks dance from denying it even exists to throwing out offhanded remarks about "better" solutions.

Make up your minds.

As one of these "hacks", I say this "global warming" is a fraud designed to transfer wealth from American taxpayers to those who perpetuate this fraud.

It is an indisputable fact that suphur dioxide in the upper atmosphere will reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the earth. If that is the goal, then let's do what will work; not all of this garbage bandied about the religionists of the "global warming" fad.

First we had the population explosion of the 1970s that would doom us. We had the global cooling crowd about the same time. These fads come and go and now we see that there was massive fraud involved in this scientific gathering of information. And to top it off there is money involved. Anytime there is money involved someone has an interest in presenting "facts" to prove their case. If the head dog that started this nonsense out of the U.N is now hiding in Beijing let him and Al Bore step up to the plate and defend themselves. I say they are FRAUDS. This whole global warming is one huge fraud designed to impoverish Americans.

The funny thing about this nonsense is even if we stopped every last bit of carbon dioxide tomorrow the net effect on global temperature wouldn't amount to a bucket of warm spit in the middle of the Sahara Desert.

If you're referring to the Medieval Warming Period, that's up for debate. From what I have read, there is certainly no consensus amongst the scientific communities. Bottom line, we are the warmest decade in 160 years. Before that, it was the 90's.

According to GW propagandist

The Northern Hemisphere has cooled since volcanos erupted in 2008.

An explosive eruption occurred at Kasatochi Volcano (52.18ºN, 175.51ºW) on the afternoon of August 7th, 2008, sending volcanic ash and gas 35,000 feet into the atmosphere

Read more at Suite101: Satellites See Kasatochi Eruption: Volcano Erupts in Alaska’s Aleutian Island Chain August 7, 2008 Satellites See Kasatochi Eruption: Volcano Erupts in Alaska?s Aleutian Island Chain August 7, 2008

Satellites See Kasatochi Eruption: Volcano Erupts in Alaska?s Aleutian Island Chain August 7, 2008

"Kasitochi volcano in the Aleutian Island erupted over a million tons of sulfur dioxide (SO2) into the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean, "

Kasatochi Volcano SO2 update: aerosols may have cooling effect on the NH this year Watts Up With That?

Global cooling often has been linked with major volcanic eruptions. The year 1816 often has been referred to as “the year without a summer.” It was a time of significant weather-related disruptions in New England and in Western Europe with killing summer frosts in the United States and Canada. These strange phenomena were attributed to a major eruption of the Tambora volcano in 1815 in Indonesia. The volcano threw sulfur dioxide gas into the stratosphere, and the aerosol layer that formed led to brilliant sunsets seen around the world for several years

Volcanoes and Global Cooling Rashid's Blog

Kasatochi Island

Kasatochi volcano with crater lake prior to the eruption of August 7, 2008

Location in Alaska
Elevation 1,030 ft (314 m)
Prominence 1,030 ft (314 m)
Coordinates 52°10′39″N 175°30′30″W / 52.1775°N 175.50833°W / 52.1775; -175.50833Coordinates: 52°10′39″N 175°30′30″W / 52.1775°N 175.50833°W / 52.1775; -175.50833
Topo map USGS Atka C-5
Volcanic arc/belt Aleutian Arc
Last eruption 2008

"Kasatochi Island (Qanan-tanax̂[1] in Aleut) also known as Kasatochi volcano is an active stratovolcano and one of the Andreanof Islands subgroup of the Aleutian Islands of southwestern Alaska, USA. It lies at the Atka Pass northwest of the western tip of Atka Island and east of Great Sitkin Island. Kasatochi Island has a land area of 5.051 km² (1.9503 sq mi, or 1,248.2 acres) and is unpopulated.

August 2008 eruption
On August 7, 2008, Kasatochi began erupting explosively with an ash plume maintaining an altitude of 35,000 feet and reaching 45,000 feet. As the eruption became imminent, it forced two biologists from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to evacuate the island.[2] An ashfall advisory was issued at the time for Adak Island. Prior to 2008, the last confirmed activity at Kasatochi was in 1899, but that was not believed to be an eruption. Mild degassing was reported to the AVO in 2005, but that could not be confirmed.[1]"

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasatochi_Island]Kasatochi Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

ENSO El Nionio Southern Oscillation, is highly determinative of Global Temperatures

YID With LID: Peer Reviewed Scientific Study--Al Gore is a FRAUD

El Niño-Southern Oscillation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contradicts mand made CO2 as causing Gobal Warming

"Because El Niño−Southern Oscillation is known to exercise a particularly strong influence in the tropics, we also compared the SOI with tropical temperature anomalies between 20°S and 20°N. The results showed that SOI accounted for 81% of the variance in tropospheric temperature anomalies in the tropics"

Influence of the Southern Oscillation on tropospheric temperature

As one of these "hacks", I say this "global warming" is a fraud designed to transfer wealth from American taxpayers to those who perpetuate this fraud.

Wow, you must really detest Wall Street cuz it did exactly that.

Next step by the dems is create a food shortage in the name of GW.

Plan to turn farms into forest worries Obama official - Washington Times

Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack has ordered his staff to revise a computerized forecasting model that showed that climate legislation supported by President Obama would make planting trees more lucrative than producing food.

The latest Agriculture Department economic-impact study of the climate bill, which passed the House this summer, found that the legislation would profit farmers in the long term. But those profits would come mostly from higher crop prices as a result of the legislation's incentives to plant more forests and thus reduce the amount of land devoted to food-producing agriculture.

According to the economic model used by the department and the Environmental Protection Agency, the legislation would give landowners incentives to convert up to 59 million acres of farmland into forests over the next 40 years. The reason: Trees clean the air of heat-trapping gases better than farming does.

Mr. Vilsack, in a little-noticed statement issued with the report earlier this month, said the department's forecasts "have caused considerable concern" among farmers and ranchers.

Has the Earth cooled in the last decade?

Yup, sure has. Maybe longer.

TREND ANALYSIS OF SATELLITE GLOBAL TEMPERATURE DATA

by Craig Loehle

ABSTRACT
Global satellite data is analyzed for temperature trends for the period January 1979 through June 2009. Beginning and ending segments show a cooling trend, while the middle segment evinces a warming trend. The past 12 to 13 years show cooling using both satellite data sets, with lower confidence limits that do not exclude a negative trend until 16 years. It is shown that several published studies have predicted cooling in this time frame. One of these models is extrapolated from its 2000 calibration end date and shows a good match to the satellite data, with a projection of continued cooling for several more decades.

CONCLUSIONS
Analysis of the satellite data shows a statistically significant cooling trend for the past 12 to 13 years, with it not being possible to reject a flat trend (0 slope) for 16 years.

NCASI Health Monitor

Last edited:
In spite of the spin, misinformation and lies of the fossil fuel industry propaganda campaign, the fact is that this last decade is the warmest on record and very probably the warmest in thousands of years. The science all supports this conclusion.

Which science, the ones the top climatologists made up out of manipulated data? Or have you heard of "climategate" yet?

The main thing to come out of the past decade is repeated revelations of how GW advocates have fudged and manipulated the science, tried to keep the raw data from skeptics, and generally played a global-sized fraud on the world.

By the way, we're having one of the coldest winters here in probably 5-7 years right now... :doh

Which science, the ones the top climatologists made up out of manipulated data? Or have you heard of "climategate" yet?

The main thing to come out of the past decade is repeated revelations of how GW advocates have fudged and manipulated the science, tried to keep the raw data from skeptics, and generally played a global-sized fraud on the world.

By the way, we're having one of the coldest winters here in probably 5-7 years right now... :doh

And yet another victim of "I cannot tell the difference between weather and climate." :roll:

And yet another victim of "I cannot tell the difference between weather and climate." :roll:

...said the kool-aide drinker of the global-warming fraud... :mrgreen:

...said the kool-aide drinker of the global-warming fraud... :mrgreen:

Figuring out the difference between weather and climate is so third grade. Global warming is much more complicated.

Figuring out the difference between weather and climate is so third grade. Global warming is much more complicated.

Yes it is. It requires believing a movie done by a former VP and ignoring the fact he stands to make billions from AGW Legislation, and sells "carbon credits". It's complicated how otherwise intelligent people can accept what he says as factual with a straight face.

It is complicated. It requires bending over to such a degree that one can insert their entire cranium completely through a smelly brown hole.

It is beyond pathetic how the global warming crowd has crafted a teflon position so that no matter what happens, their Manson-like cult remains intact.

It is complicated. It requires bending over to such a degree that one can insert their entire cranium completely through a smelly brown hole.

It is beyond pathetic how the global warming crowd has crafted a teflon position so that no matter what happens, their Manson-like cult remains intact.

Wow... you are quite obsessed with Manson!

Anyhoo, please don't forget to address my questions here... I've been waiting with baited breath.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/Environment/62630-time-eat-dog-4.html#post1058462299

Back
Top Bottom