• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has President Trump been more politically successful than Barack Hussein Obama?

Who was more politically successful during their first term as president?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No
Obamacare didn't help millions or the poor. The poor don't use Obamacare because they know they can't afford to go to the doctor and pay the out of pocket expenses.

Obamacare increased eligibility for Medicaid for lower income people. But what’s your solution? Every other developed nation has health care, and some poorer nations like Mexico do. Obama moved us in the right direction, doing what was possible given the GOP and insurance companies opposition.

It did help the working poor in states whose governors didn't fight it. For example you said your a business owner. If you pay your employees $10-12 an hour they would qualify for Medicaid with a small monthly premium payment.
The ACA works in states that didnt fight it and it didnt cut out the middle class it hurt people like you and I small business owners. That's a fix the Republicans should be working on but they are not.

I'll give you the Medicaid thing. That's about it because the rest of Obamacare pretty much sucks, particularly where it runs right over the middle class. But, it does come with a huge pricetag, the likes of which would be astronomical if expanded to Medicare for all. And, even in this recent midterm election, the biggest concern of most Americans is healthcare. How can that possibly even be if Obamacare is so great?

Have we? Or was the rule book, call it conventional wisdom been maintained. Sure, you have all the Trumpers going around saying all the polls were wrong. Have they ever stopped to look at what was being polled. The popular vote. The polls said Clinton by 3 points on average, she won by two. The polls weren't wrong. Trump won because he squeaked wins in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin.

Conventional wisdom, history if you will says a president will lose seats in his first midterm election. Trump has lost 39 with four still pending, not decided. That's an average of 23 seats since 1934, FDR through and including Obama. Trump lost 16 above average. Only three presidents, Obama, Bill Clinton and LBJ lost more than 39. Obama, Bill Clinton lost control of the House, LBJ didn't. LBJ had 295 to start off with, fell to 248 which still gave him a 61 seat majority. LBJ could easily afford to lose those 47 seats. In 1954, the only other president to lose control of the house in his first term, Eisenhower lost 18. IKE loss of 18 hurt him and the GOP much more than LBJ's 47.

It's true Trump's win was unique in that he became first candidate ever, or since Gallup and Pew Research began keeping track of favorable ratings with a favorable rating of below 51%. Trump at 36% set the record for the lowest favorable rating ever at 36%. Only three other presidential candidates since FDR had favorable ratings of below 50%, Hillary Clinton 38%, Barry Goldwater 43%, G.H.W. Bush 46% in 1992. Those three lost. But Trump won by having Hillary Clinton as his opponent, the second lowest ever candidate in favorable ratings. So yes, that is a unique election. 2016 just happened to pit the two candidate with the lowest favorable ratings ever against each other.

Other than that, conventional wisdom, history, the rule still applies. Of the two president who withdrew after being challenged, Trump had a 22% approval rating, LBJ 35% approval. The other who lost the general election, Ford had a 45% approval, Carter 37% and G.W.H. Bush at 31% on election day. Approval rating being different than how one views the person, favorable rating.

If I was a betting man, I wouldn't be betting much of any money at all on politics from here on out. As a whole, the entire planet has been going through some sort of political metamorphisis.

No

Obamacare increased eligibility for Medicaid for lower income people. But what’s your solution? Every other developed nation has health care, and some poorer nations like Mexico do. Obama moved us in the right direction, doing what was possible given the GOP and insurance companies opposition.

Every other country on the planet lags way behind the US in pretty much every single category there is, except liberalism. And, in most of those countries, liberalism has begun to come apart at the seems. Hell, I read an article today where Hillary Clinton was saying that Europe needed tougher immigration policies because their open door policy was causing them substantial harm, bringing about both nationalism and contributing to Brexit. She is absolutely 100% correct too. If Democrats could be trusted in the US to have very tough immigration policies, then a wall wouldn't be needed and we could work on DACA. But, Democrats want to work on DACA and wipe the slate clean while having borders that look like Swiss Cheese where we will have to have continuing rounds of immigration reform at infinitum, always addressing the new rounds of illegals. Stop the illegals cold in their tracks and actually mean it, then we can talk about those who are already here. The trouble is, liberal policies, while good intentioned, don't work and often backfire on the very people they are trying to help and Hillary's talk about Europe's immigration policies is a perfect example. The US is the number one economy in the world because of everything we do, including our healthcare.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...-laws-nationalism_us_5bf6fbdae4b0eb6d930cd4e0

Last edited:
If I was a betting man, I wouldn't be betting much of any money at all on politics from here on out. As a whole, the entire planet has been going through some sort of political metamorphisis.

Perhaps, but I still think conventional wisdom or history still applies. Populism is on the rise around the world. Maybe we ought to look at the cause of that. I think most of the rise is due to governments doing what they want even if the people don't want what government wants. Our political leaders think they know better what is good for the people than the people know themselves. There has always been some of that, but today, I think that has increased to an exaggerated state.

Probably to a certain extent us Americans were willing to take a chance on a loud mouth, repulsive, big mouth loose cannon over an establishment, status quo, government knows best, the people don't know squat, candidate.

With the right democratic candidate, I think Trump will be easily defeated in 2020. But with another Hillary Clinton type candidate, we could have a repeat of 2016. The house, what independents give, they can take away. It all depends on how the new Democratic House governs, legislates or just continues on being 100% anti Trump with investigations and possible impeachment. Lots of unknowns for sure, but time will sort it all out. I'll bet by the beginning of 2020, we'll know pretty much how that years elections will turn out. This year, January of 2018, we knew the Democrats would win back the house and the Republicans maintain control of the senate. 9 months before the election if one was paying attention.

Last edited:
I'll give you the Medicaid thing. That's about it because the rest of Obamacare pretty much sucks, particularly where it runs right over the middle class. But, it does come with a huge pricetag, the likes of which would be astronomical if expanded to Medicare for all. And, even in this recent midterm election, the biggest concern of most Americans is healthcare. How can that possibly even be if Obamacare is so great?

Yes healthcare was the top priority among voters because its an uncertainty the GOP have been chipping away for 2 years trying to repeal a law instead of reaching across the aisle for some solutions to the middle class self employed problem.
The middle class that was hurt were only those not getting insurance from their employers which in the US is a minority. At the time of the ACA drafting if Democrats had stood up and not taken so much of the Republicans plan (hoping some of them would support and vote for it) we would all be in a better place. They compromised too much and still got voted out. Since they were going to get voted out anyway they shouldn't have compromised.

Yes healthcare was the top priority among voters because its an uncertainty the GOP have been chipping away for 2 years trying to repeal a law instead of reaching across the aisle for some solutions to the middle class self employed problem.
The middle class that was hurt were only those not getting insurance from their employers which in the US is a minority. At the time of the ACA drafting if Democrats had stood up and not taken so much of the Republicans plan (hoping some of them would support and vote for it) we would all be in a better place. They compromised too much and still got voted out. Since they were going to get voted out anyway they shouldn't have compromised.

In fairness, at the time nobody knew the coverage expansions would be so much cheaper than expected and the offsetting Medicare savings would be so much greater. If they’d known that then, the financial support would’ve been more generous. With hindsight we now know we can make the coverage more affordable for everyone so we ought to do that. Starting with the current Dem legislation to do so.

In fairness, at the time nobody knew the coverage expansions would be so much cheaper than expected and the offsetting Medicare savings would be so much greater. If they’d known that then, the financial support would’ve been more generous. With hindsight we now know we can make the coverage more affordable for everyone so we ought to do that. Starting with the current Dem legislation to do so.

We'll see Republicans are really good at selling woof tickets.

Every other country on the planet lags way behind the US in pretty much every single category there is, except liberalism. And, in most of those countries, liberalism has begun to come apart at the seems. Hell, I read an article today where Hillary Clinton was saying that Europe needed tougher immigration policies because their open door policy was causing them substantial harm, bringing about both nationalism and contributing to Brexit. She is absolutely 100% correct too. If Democrats could be trusted in the US to have very tough immigration policies, then a wall wouldn't be needed and we could work on DACA. But, Democrats want to work on DACA and wipe the slate clean while having borders that look like Swiss Cheese where we will have to have continuing rounds of immigration reform at infinitum, always addressing the new rounds of illegals. Stop the illegals cold in their tracks and actually mean it, then we can talk about those who are already here. The trouble is, liberal policies, while good intentioned, don't work and often backfire on the very people they are trying to help and Hillary's talk about Europe's immigration policies is a perfect example. The US is the number one economy in the world because of everything we do, including our healthcare.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...-laws-nationalism_us_5bf6fbdae4b0eb6d930cd4e0

My impression is that other developed nations are healthier than the US, have more equitable income distribution, and less poverty. US has every right to control borders, but Trump cannot I break law and treaty to do so. No essential difference between the illegality or crossing a border without inspection and Trump’s illegal actions regarding asylum seekers. As for Europe, many countries invited themselves to take over Africa. Africans are repaying the compliment.

Ummmmmmm. Stats show that the tax plan has brought in more revenue than we had before. The money that was borrowed was because of increased spending.

Really? So we have a deficit of $833 billion-- up over $400 billion compared to 2015 -- WHY?

Maybe you should recheck your stats....

Last edited:
But but but the left keeps on saying that this is Obama's economy, not Trump's. Guess that shoots a whole in what you just said.

It's just as stupid when the left credits or blames a president. BTW, the word is "hole"in that context.

You do know there are MORE people in the country today than in 2010, right? Oh, and neither Obama nor Trump were on the ballot this year.

Trump may as well have been on the ballot. How people voted had everything to do with his presidency.

Which one has helped America more.....Well Obama was a complete disaster....Trump we dont know yet.

You're deluded. Obama has done more for me personally than any other president.

Obama & Michelle had class, Trump is a self-described ***** grabber and an overall zero, Melania is a golddigger.

Obama & Michelle had class, Trump is a self-described ***** grabber and an overall zero, Melania is a golddigger.

The disintegration of America picked up speed under Obama, because he failed to understand and/or care about his duties.

If you dont know this then you are the one with the problem.

Trump may as well have been on the ballot. How people voted had everything to do with his presidency.
That why they strengthened the GOP's grip on the Senate?

No, a favorable map did.
You and Alexandria ocasio-cortez apparently never learned that the you can't gerrymander Senate seats - they're elected state-wide. Thanks for demonstrating your level of knowledge of government and politics. :lamo

Which one has helped America more.....Well Obama was a complete disaster....Trump we dont know yet.

How was President Obama a complete disaster? Let me guess - because he was born in Kenya and is a muslim.

As for trump - he is the F******* WORST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY. Whoever is president after him will have a bigger mess to fix than what President Obama inherited from that d**** dubya.

I think we should ignore the trump loving Hawkeye. I think he posted this rubbish to get us upset. And I agree with you - Malaria is a gold digging w****.

America's healthcare system is one of the WORST in the western world. People are going bankrupt just to pay for surgery. Thankfully over 20 million Americans have now got affordable health care thanks to President Obama.

The only people who hate Obamacare are the racist redneck republicans. Obamacare is very similar to the system that Mitt Romney introduced in Massachusetts when he was Governor. Romneycare would have got these republicans their tick of approval cos Romney is WHITE.

I bet if trump renamed Obamacare, 'trumpcare' , the republicans would be giving him a parade.

I don't know what OP means by "politically successful".....but...

In terms of maintaining support from a core group of .......I'm not allowed to say..... Trump has been more successful.

In terms of getting policies through, apart from tax cuts he hasn't really accomplished anything but via EO. And while Obama's EOs were much-maligned, he also got a lot through congress. I should also mention that those complaining about Obama's EOs didn't complain about Bush's or Trumps. So there, I mentioned it.

But then how much of that is Trump and how much of it is down to the bitter aggression on the part of the same people who decided to accuse Obama of lying about his birth, lying about his religion, being racist against white people, hating America, wanting to destroy America, wanting to give our wealth to third world countries, etc etc etc?

I think I know the answer. All Trump did was smell the coffee.....and if he's good at anything, it's stealing all the coffee. Newman hasn't got **** on Trump in terms of conning skills, but then he is just an actor.

Trump does not uplift the racist in America,

That is simply not true.

Trump publicly defended the KKK and Neo Nazis, saying some were "very fine people" after Charlottesville.

To be clear, this rally was:

1) Hosted by White Supremacists

2) Had the stated purpose of uniting White Supremacists.

3) Had these guys there:

599081d015000021008b654c.jpeg

a2668b92-7c26-4736-b568-feb08d471e03-ax098_4a00_9.jpg

Any "very fine people" likely stayed home, and if they accidentally went, they left as soon as they arrived and saw what was going on.

This was a calculated move by Trump, as he continued to court the racist vote, a significant part of his base.

You and Alexandria ocasio-cortez apparently never learned that the you can't gerrymander Senate seats - they're elected state-wide. Thanks for demonstrating your level of knowledge of government and politics. :lamo

You apparently are ignorant of the fact of how the GOP maintains power despite always receiving less votes overall. It's okay, things are changing ;)

Back
Top Bottom