• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Has Jack Abramoff been "flipped"?

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
And its about time this pile of rot got a good cleaning out.

According to sources, Jack Abramoff is about to spill the beans on the whole corrupt setup of congressional favors for money, and if that happens, it will literally be raining indictments very soon. The vast majority of indictments will be against Republicans, but dont forget that it takes 2 to tango - political parties, that is. A few Democrats will be getting their asses handed to them also. Abramoff is about to turn on his cronies in order to save his own skin. The winner if this happens? The American people, of course :)

To quote a medieval phrase - Off with their heads - Political heads only, of course, and dont forget. The Marie Antoinettes who run Congress at this time are our employees, not our masters. It is time to show the scumbags who's boss.

Article is here.

danarhea said:
And its about time this pile of rot got a good cleaning out.

According to sources, Jack Abramoff is about to spill the beans on the whole corrupt setup of congressional favors for money, and if that happens, it will literally be raining indictments very soon. The vast majority of indictments will be against Republicans, but dont forget that it takes 2 to tango - political parties, that is. A few Democrats will be getting their asses handed to them also. Abramoff is about to turn on his cronies in order to save his own skin. The winner if this happens? The American people, of course :)

To quote a medieval phrase - Off with their heads - Political heads only, of course, and dont forget. The Marie Antoinettes who run Congress at this time are our employees, not our masters. It is time to show the scumbags who's boss.

Article is here.

It will be interesting to see who is implicated in this whole Abramoff scandal. DeLay's people are confident that he won't be, but I am betting that such is just their tactic. My first 2 guesses would be DeLay and Ney.

Update: Abramoff is turning on his Republican friends. Under a plea agreement, Abramoff is going to plead guilty to 3 felony counts on Wednesday, and cooperate with the prosecution. This year, it will be raining indictments.

Article is here.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
Update: Abramoff is turning on his Republican friends. Under a plea agreement, Abramoff is going to plead guilty to 3 felony counts on Wednesday, and cooperate with the prosecution. This year, it will be raining indictments.

Article is here.

Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations

Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP

By Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, June 3, 2005; Page A01

Lobbyist Jack Abramoff and an associate famously collected $82 million in lobbying and public relations fees from six Indian tribes and devoted a lot of their time to trying to persuade Republican lawmakers to act on their clients' behalf.
But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.

Among the biggest beneficiaries were Capitol Hill's most powerful Democrats, including Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) and Harry M. Reid (Nev.), the top two Senate Democrats at the time, Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), then-leader of the House Democrats, and the two lawmakers in charge of raising funds for their Democratic colleagues in both chambers, according to a Washington Post study. Reid succeeded Daschle as Democratic leader after Daschle lost his Senate seat last November.

Be careful you may be speaking way too soon. Personally I think anyone who did anything illegal should be charged with it, but I bet if any Democrats are implicated the excuses will be flying.

Stinger said:
Democrats Also Got Tribal Donations

Abramoff Issue's Fallout May Extend Beyond the GOP

By Jeffrey H. Birnbaum and Derek Willis
Washington Post Staff Writers
Friday, June 3, 2005; Page A01

Lobbyist Jack Abramoff and an associate famously collected $82 million in lobbying and public relations fees from six Indian tribes and devoted a lot of their time to trying to persuade Republican lawmakers to act on their clients' behalf.
But Abramoff didn't work just with Republicans. He oversaw a team of two dozen lobbyists at the law firm Greenberg Traurig that included many Democrats. Moreover, the campaign contributions that Abramoff directed from the tribes went to Democratic as well as Republican legislators.

Among the biggest beneficiaries were Capitol Hill's most powerful Democrats, including Thomas A. Daschle (S.D.) and Harry M. Reid (Nev.), the top two Senate Democrats at the time, Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.), then-leader of the House Democrats, and the two lawmakers in charge of raising funds for their Democratic colleagues in both chambers, according to a Washington Post study. Reid succeeded Daschle as Democratic leader after Daschle lost his Senate seat last November.

Be careful you may be speaking way too soon. Personally I think anyone who did anything illegal should be charged with it, but I bet if any Democrats are implicated the excuses will be flying.

As long as DeLay goes down, I don't care who else does.

aps said:
As long as DeLay goes down, I don't care who else does.

What if he doesn't and what is he accused of in the indictment?

Stinger said:
What if he doesn't and what is he accused of in the indictment?

Then he doesn't go down (and yes, I will be disappointed). I don't think he is dumb enough to accept a bribe, but he sure went on LOTS of expensive trips hosted by Abramoff. I don't understand all the intricacies of what DeLay could be accused of, but I suspect that he has done something wrong. In my personal opinion, the man has no morals/ethics/conscience.

aps said:
Then he doesn't go down (and yes, I will be disappointed). I don't think he is dumb enough to accept a bribe, but he sure went on LOTS of expensive trips hosted by Abramoff.

LOTs of politicians go on LOTs of trips paid for by lobbyist or interest groups.

I don't understand all the intricacies of what DeLay could be accused of,

Probaby because he hasn't been accused of anything.

but I suspect that he has done something wrong. In my personal opinion, the man has no morals/ethics/conscience.

And the premise for that conclusion?

Stinger said:
LOTs of politicians go on LOTs of trips paid for by lobbyist or interest groups.

Probaby because he hasn't been accused of anything.

And the premise for that conclusion?
Guess you havent read the news lately. The Texas Supreme Court has upheld Delay's indictment for money laundering, and ruled that he must stand trial. Delay has been accused of money laundering. And before you blame this on Ronnie Earle, you should know that both, the Texas Court of Appeals, and the Texas Supreme Court (Delay lost in both courts), are Republican dominated.

danarhea said:
Guess you havent read the news lately. The Texas Supreme Court has upheld Delay's indictment for money laundering, and ruled that he must stand trial.

Delay has been accused of money laundering. And before you blame this on Ronnie Earle, you should know that both, the Texas Court of Appeals, and the Texas Supreme Court (Delay lost in both courts), are Republican dominated.

You mean the charge that hinges on the nonexistent list? That Delay had nothing to do with anyway? What are the specific charges against him now?

Stinger said:
You mean the charge that hinges on the nonexistent list? That Delay had nothing to do with anyway? What are the specific charges against him now?

The charge is money laundering. Before you throw your red herring list out there, be advised that the evidence is the check, along with memos by Delay himself. Actually, the charges in Texas you shouldnt worry about. His eventual conviction on Federal charges will give Delay the opportunity to do his time in a Federal country club instead.

Back
Top Bottom