• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has inflation reached a peak? Three signs that prices could soon come down

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Ryan Detrick, chief market strategist for LPL Financial, thinks it's likely that inflation has already reached a peak on its own, and that the Fed could start to pull back on interest rates by the second half of the year.
Analysts at UBS also said this month that they expect inflation will likely peak in March and then fall "sharply."

--

[The article is not long at all, so rather than providing 'synopsis' excerpts of a technical nature, I think the article is best read or skimmed in entirety]

--

I think the article makes a reasonable case that inflation may have peaked, and is heading down. In fact, it presents quantitative evidence where inflation is already easing-up.

Giving a supposed time-frame of inflation normalizing in the 2nd half of the year, I suspect it has the possibility to give Democrats a much needed boost going into the mid-terms - if it comes to be.

--

Enjoy!

Last edited:

--

[The article is not long at all, so rather than providing 'synopsis' excerpts of a technical nature, I think the article is best read or skimmed in entirety]

--

I think the article makes a reasonable case that inflation may have peaked, and is heading down. In fact, it presents evidence where inflation is already easing-up.

Giving a supposed time-frame of inflation normalizing in the 2nd half of the year, I suspect it has the possibility to give Democrats a much needed boost going into the mid-terms, if it comes to be.

--

Enjoy!
I hope so, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
;)

I've been hopeful the causes of supply chain issues and energy cost driven price increases would subside, but we have COVID lockdowns in China that continue to ramp up and the conflict in Ukraine still creating an unsettled energy and food supply problem.

;)

I've been hopeful the causes of supply chain issues and energy cost driven price increases would subside, but we have COVID lockdowns in China that continue to ramp up and the conflict in Ukraine still creating an unsettled energy and food supply problem.

China just recently eased Covid restrictions substantially. This was one of the factors the article used in their 'inflation easing' hypothesis.

See below,

Well, that's encouraging. Used Car prices (lower) will certainly help. Strange thing> For curiosity, I looked at prices for the 2nd car we own.
I paid 12,500 for it 3 years ago..used..with 68,000 miles. The other day I looked at the same model and year @ Sarasota Ford. It's selling for 14,250...with 88,000 miles..now.
My wife, who was in the same room asked "Why do you just say "Jesus Christ!" :)

;)

I'm just going to touch on your post again, as there's something I missed:

I must admit the article does focus a great deal on Asia, while you rightly point-out the Ukraine situation is having an impact on energy & food. So, there is that.

If true it's good news.
Well, that's encouraging. Used Car prices (lower) will certainly help. Strange thing> For curiosity, I looked at prices for the 2nd car we own.
I paid 12,500 for it 3 years ago..used..with 68,000 miles. The other day I looked at the same model and year @ Sarasota Ford. It's selling for 14,250...with 88,000 miles..now.
I was watching Detroit news yesterday and they said the average price for a used car is now 30k 😱

I'm just going to touch on your post again, as there's something I missed:

I must admit the article does focus a great deal on Asia, while you rightly point-out the Ukraine situation is having an impact on energy & food. So, there is that.
I've read some articles on the impact on food (particularly wheat and cooking oil), but it's not as widely covered as energy. The conflict's role in greatly reducing wheat supplies is not something that has an immediate effect like the price of oil/CNG, but it will start becoming more apparent as there won't be an upcoming harvest of Ukrainian wheat. This doesn't impact western nations as badly as it will for many countries in Africa and the Middle East who rely on that harvest.

I've read some articles on the impact on food (particularly wheat and cooking oil), but it's not as widely covered as energy. The conflict's role in greatly reducing wheat supplies is not something that has an immediate effect like the price of oil/CNG, but it will start becoming more apparent as there won't be an upcoming harvest of Ukrainian wheat. This doesn't impact western nations as badly as it will for many countries in Africa and the Middle East who rely on that harvest.

Good analysis, I think! (y)

I just went through a similar discussion with my spouse, over an older car we have that I like.

She was like,

"We can make money, let's sell!"

My retort:

"Why?"

If true it's good news.

I was watching Detroit news yesterday and they said the average price for a used car is now 30k 😱
That's outrageous.
What's the going price for a slightly old, slightly overweight man with a marginal skill set, but willing to learn? Looking to cash in while the market is up.

--

--

I think the article makes a reasonable case that inflation may have peaked, and is heading down. In fact, it presents quantitative evidence where inflation is already easing-up.

Giving a supposed time-frame of inflation normalizing in the 2nd half of the year, I suspect it has the possibility to give Democrats a much needed boost going into the mid-terms - if it comes to be.

--

Enjoy!
Well, Hallelujah! Let's hope the voters know to back the Democrats regardless of what lies beyond a Party's control.

Well, Hallelujah! Let's hope the voters know to back the Democrats regardless of what lies beyond a Party's control.

There's reality, and there's perception.

Many vote on perception.

What's the going price for a slightly old, slightly overweight man with a marginal skill set
You trying to find employment for Trump?

There's reality, and there's perception.

Many vote on perception.
I'm worried about the swing voter who gains minute power and distinction by throwing it Republican with the statement fooey or sock it to them.

China just recently eased Covid restrictions substantially. This was one of the factors the article used in their 'inflation easing' hypothesis.

See below,

Yep, but that will take a while for us to feel the effects since all of the shut down factories now have to ramp production to meet backlogged orders and all of those coming in. My $.02 on China's zero COVID strategy is it didn't make sense for where we are in this disease's course. What's clear is COVID-19 will be ever-present, so what's needed is better prevention and mitigation measures commensurate to the threat. If their population is vaccinated, then the focus should be on mitigation of those who fall severely ill rather than full clamp downs on society. Zero COVID doesn't seem like a tenable goal, and has a lot of really negative outcomes for all involved; the reactions from the public have demonstrated as much.

--

--

--

Enjoy!
I read that earlier, I hope they're correct.

I just went through a similar discussion with my spouse, over an older car we have that I like.

She was like,

"We can make money, let's sell!"

My retort:

"Why?"
Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke!!!

Yep, but that will take a while for us to feel the effects since all of the shut down factories now have to ramp production to meet backlogged orders and all of those coming in. My $.02 on China's zero COVID strategy is it didn't make sense for where we are in this disease's course. What's clear is COVID-19 will be ever-present, so what's needed is better prevention and mitigation measures commensurate to the threat. If their population is vaccinated, then the focus should be on mitigation of those who fall severely ill rather than full clamp downs on society. Zero COVID doesn't seem like a tenable goal, and has a lot of really negative outcomes for all involved; the reactions from the public have demonstrated as much.

Agreed. It might be argued the current economic effects in China are more severe than the Covid.

I can't evaluate it in hard numbers, but in theory it could be right.

I heard the figure 1.5% this morning said by an analyst but didn't catch their name.
This was on Maria Bartiromo's Sunday show.

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke!!!

There's a satisfaction & security in owning things that are paid-off, especially vehicles & real-estate.

Plus when you live in a large metro area, there's comfort in driving an older car, in terms of freedom from worrying about potholes, parking dings, and possible theft or vandalism. I always have an older runabout in my stable for my, 'city car'! Especially given how The Queen frets over every minor ding & consequence to, 'her babies'!

I heard the figure 1.5% this morning said by an analyst but didn't catch their name.
This was on Maria Bartiromo's Sunday show.

Wow!

I'd be shocked if it's that high! But, I have no reference to base it on.

I read that earlier, I hope they're correct.

Well, the article points-out some examples currently happening, so that seems to give it at least some credibility.

Wow!

I'd be shocked if it's that high! But, I have no reference to base it on.

Headed out but later today, I'll try to bring up her show on youtube, and review where I heard that number and post it here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom