• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has everyone here turned into a neocon warmonger?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The main (WWF; SuperpowerBowl prequel) event of the past two weeks seems to have turned nearly everyone posting at DP into a neocon warmonger (yes, that's a bit redundant). Get some blood (and whatever else) flowing to your frontal lobe, or they're going to become vestigial (yes, the internet helped me come up with that fancy word).

Maybe it's just that this website attracts and feeds binary Americanism, especially binary "left-right," liberal-conservative," Democratic-Republican, Biden-T**** (lack of =>) thinking binary logic.

I can't think of a single intelligent issue that's being pushed forward with this "MUST STOP PUTIN" mantra. *** Obvious (<= to me) disclaimer: Of course the attack on Ukraine needs to be stopped. ***

That leads to the next thing: The discussions about Ukraine should take the longer perspective, not the Tweets-posting /slash/ throbbing amygdalas (<= good post-punk band name; I got dibs) perspective. Geopolitics doesn't operate within one- nor two-week timescales. Neither does environmentalism, nor any of the laundry list of social issues that the reactionary-war mindset is currently violating or set to violate. Do I have to make lists of these issues? I'm thinking I'll I have to. Try to stay tuned for OP part 2 (if needed), dopamine fiends.

I apologize if this comment comes off as too cornball (synonym I chose over cutesy).

Last edited:
On one side you have Russia invading a country. On the other side, you have Ukraine defending against the invasion. Are we here at DP supposed to watch in fascination without taking a side?

The main (WWF; SuperpowerBowl prequel) event of the past two weeks seems to have turned nearly everyone posting at DP into a neocon warmonger (yes, that's a bit redundant). Get some blood (and whatever else) flowing to your frontal lobe, or they're going to become vestigial (yes, the internet helped me come up with that fancy word).

Maybe it's just that this website attracts and feeds binary Americanism, especially binary "left-right," liberal-conservative," Democratic-Republican, Biden-T**** (lack of =>) thinking binary logic.

I can't think of a single intelligent issue that's being pushed forward with this "MUST STOP PUTIN" mantra. *** Obvious (<= to me) disclaimer: Of course the attack on Ukraine needs to be stopped. ***

That leads to the next thing: The discussions about Ukraine should take the longer perspective, not the Tweets-posting /slash/ throbbing amygdalas (<= good post-punk band name; I got dibs) perspective. Geopolitics doesn't operate within one- nor two-week timescales. Neither does environmentalism, nor any of the laundry list of social issues that the reactionary-war mindset is currently violating or set to violate. Do I have to make lists of these issues? I'm thinking I'll I have to. Try to stay tuned for OP part 2 (if needed), dopamine fiends.

I apologize if this comment comes off as too cornball (synonym I chose over cutesy).
Instead of critiquing everyone else’s position on Russia/Ukraine, perhaps you could offer one of your own?

There is almost no way to have a long discussion on any world events in this forum. And that is no knock against the admins, it's just next to impossible to put down in a paragraph all the pertinent details i.e. history, socioeconomic data political party division etc etc that encompass what is happening. Entire books are written about socio-political events so the idea of succinctly capturing everything needed to have a long intelligent discussion here is an impossible task. What you can do here is drop an opinion, sometimes based on facts, sometimes not, and see which way the discussion goes. From my short experience here there are plenty of smart people, but there are plenty of people that only want to be heard. And that's not just an opinion.... ;)

There is almost no way to have a long discussion on any world events in this forum. And that is no knock against the admins, it's just next to impossible to put down in a paragraph all the pertinent details i.e. history, socioeconomic data political party division etc etc that encompass what is happening. Entire books are written about socio-political events so the idea of succinctly capturing everything needed to have a long intelligent discussion here is an impossible task. What you can do here is drop an opinion, sometimes based on facts, sometimes not, and see which way the discussion goes. From my short experience here there are plenty of smart people, but there are plenty of people that only want to be heard. And that's not just an opinion.... ;)

That's one reason that I kept #1 short.

NO, not everyone, but Putin has brought out the disgust in full force!!

It's a European civil war let them kill each other

Many people observing what is happening in Ukraine find themselves, to whatever extent they can, putting themselves, psychologically speaking, into the shoes of the Ukrainians. They see the death and destruction Putin has caused. They see Russia shooting up the homes people live in and attacking routes out of the country, making fleeing women and children struggle even harder to escape. Some people see that kind of thing and think, "Enough! Somebody needs to help!"

Others look at all that and think, "**** that. Not my problem. Why should I get involved? I'm in the world for me and me only."

On one side you have Russia invading a country. On the other side, you have Ukraine defending against the invasion. Are we here at DP supposed to watch in fascination without taking a side?

That reminds me. I was thinking of linking your good thread about how your thinking has changed, near the end of this two-week war period. Now it looks like you've gone back to square/comment #1.

It's a European civil war let them kill each other
Seems to me you are lacking in basic human emotion. While I do not advocate a war with Russia, I fully back sending them defense weapons so they can repel the invasion. I wonder if your opinion would change if you had family trying to evacuate Ukraine to save the lives of their children.

Instead of critiquing everyone else’s position on Russia/Ukraine, perhaps you could offer one of your own?

I could, but that would very likely lead to an internet 'shooting at an abandoned car with Putin's face on it' event. In other words, you just want me to post something so y'all can scream 'NUT UH!" "Not going to do it; wouldn't be prudent."

While I do not advocate a war with Russia, I fully back sending them defense weapons so they can repel the invasion. I wonder if your opinion would change if you had family trying to evacuate Ukraine to save the lives of their children.

This in NOT intended to be a "Here's what we should do" nor 'TV puff piece' thread. Take that to the "Live Thread."

Last edited:
That reminds me. I was thinking of linking your good thread about how your thinking has changed, near the end of this two-week war period. Now it looks like you've gone back to square/comment #1.
If you say so. My thread was about Russia invading Syria and how we seemed to care less about that. You seemed to think that was good that I realized I should have cared more. How then is it different to care about the people of Ukraine?

Very confusing.

If you say so. My thread was about Russia invading Syria and how we seemed to care less about that. You seemed to think that was good that I realized I should have cared more. How then is it different to care about the people of Ukraine?

Very confusing.

Maybe I mistook your thread.

people are so tribal, they'll justify acts of war to "own" the other side.

Masturbatory tripe.

So you support the attack on Ukraine being stopped yet oppose people saying it needs to be stopped?

Back
Top Bottom