• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has diversity benefited the USA?

Has ethnic/racial/cultural/religious diversity benefited the USA?

• Yes, people are happier and the country is better than ever in history

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • No, people are angrier with escalating conflicts and problems

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Yes and No. It depends which demographic you are

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters
There was a time that diversity was secondary to being an American. Although we came from all over the world, the most important thing was that we all assimilate as Americans. E Pluribus Unum (out of many, one). For this great experiment of a constitutional republic, of the people, for the people, where all men are created equal to succeed, assimilation is imperative. Hence, we called our country the great melting pot. To work toward and defend our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, becoming one was paramount. My family immigrated from Germany, to live the American dream. My Grandfather was so determined and proud to become an American citizen, he would not allow anything but English to be spoken in his home. My great aunt told stories of being at grandpops house. If someone would speak, if it wasn't English, he was shout HEY!! We're AMERICANS! Households all over the country were living that dream, and it was a dream come true for them.

It's only in the 30-40 years that diversity is all the rage. It's all about being a hyphenated American. We are being divided into ethnic groups, tribes if you will. No longer is it about hiring the best American you for the job, or voting for the best candidate. It's about how many ________ Americans do we have. And it's no accident. We are being pitted against each other, to achieve a political agenda. So, I actually checked the "other" box in the poll. In the beginning, coming from diverse backgrounds, we were enriched, by getting the best of each diverse background, joined by a common goal. To protect, and enrich the country we love, we came together as one. Lately though, there's an elite class living off of our differences, and the conflict between us. So right now, it's not benefitting anybody. JMHO

What an uplifting post!!!! God bless your ancestors and the benefit we all enjoy from theirs and people of like minds gracious attitude. I must tell you, when we say Blessing at Thanksgiving, it is for people like them, though we can't know them personally, we are grateful for them.
I still believe America is a melting pot, and all I want is to be in the mix. Thank you for this wonderful reminder!
Regards,
CP

In many cities the communities have been divided along racial and economic lines for a long time. But in places where people of all stripes are drawn together, we see just as many mixed marriages and so on.

Race isn't a serious factor in the united states when it comes to relations, at least in the west.

However you can't bring two cultures together and expect everything to be fine. Islamic and other dangerous cultures are antithetical to everything the west has created.

Look at the warfare between Protestants and Catholics, or between Christians and Hindus. Populations of people of multiple religions can get along with time, but the greater the difference between them, the longer it'll take, and there will be bloodshed.

Race isn't a serious factor in the united states when it comes to relations, at least in the west.

However you can't bring two cultures together and expect everything to be fine. Islamic and other dangerous cultures are antithetical to everything the west has created.

Look at the warfare between Protestants and Catholics, or between Christians and Hindus. Populations of people of multiple religions can get along with time, but the greater the difference between them, the longer it'll take, and there will be bloodshed.

I am afraid you are right. A great deal depends on the desire too assimilate. If the United States has become bunkered, it will take just that much longer. Only give and take works. We all have to agree to not hate others for differences, but rather respect and embrace difference. No class will be defeated by hate. At least in Human history, not so far.

Regards,
CP

Back
Top Bottom