• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has Democracy failed?

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We have the rise of Donald Trump in the US. We have the uneducated populace of the UK voting to drop out of the European Union. Is it time to start asking some uncomfortable questions about the fundamental nature of democracy itself?

Don't get me wrong, here. I don't favor autocracy or dictatorship. But just think about it...you wouldn't want a brain surgeon designing a bridge that you drive on or an engineer performing brain surgery on you. Why do we let uneducated masses make our most important decisions?

In my opinion, government should be a panel of social scientists, economists, and evolutionary biologists drafted out of academia. We need to have people who don't actively seek out power having power.

Just a few thoughts.

Has Democracy failed?

no. the gerrymandered duopoly system is approaching failure, though.

We have the rise of Donald Trump in the US. We have the uneducated populace of the UK voting to drop out of the European Union. Is it time to start asking some uncomfortable questions about the fundamental nature of democracy itself?

Don't get me wrong, here. I don't favor autocracy or dictatorship. But just think about it...you wouldn't want a brain surgeon designing a bridge that you drive on or an engineer performing brain surgery on you. Why do we let uneducated masses make our most important decisions?

In my opinion, government should be a panel of social scientists, economists, and evolutionary biologists drafted out of academia. We need to have people who don't actively seek out power having power.

Just a few thoughts.

No, democracy didn't fail. The people of the UK voted to leave the EU, and that's that. That's just how democracy works, regardless of whether you agree with the outcome or not.

Just a few thoughts.

What happened in the UK WAS democracy in action. I think you liberals have just convinced yourselves that democracy is the public doing what you want them to do. When the masses disagree with leftist policies, suddenly the voters are stupid, or racist or the like.

Hahahahahahahahaha

<Deep Breath>

Haahahahahahahahaha

In my opinion, government should be a panel of social scientists, economists, and evolutionary biologists drafted out of academia.
We need to have people who don't actively seek out power having power.

Just a few thoughts.

What happened in the UK WAS democracy in action. I think you liberals have just convinced yourselves that democracy is the public doing what you want them to do. When the masses disagree with leftist policies, suddenly the voters are stupid, or racist or the like.

Democracy was supposed to be about making difficult decisions. Staying in the EU is a no-brainer, yet the Bubbas and Jim Bobs in the UK voted to get out.

Democracy was supposed to be about making difficult decisions. Staying in the EU is a no-brainer, yet the Bubbas and Jim Bobs in the UK voted to get out.

See what I mean? You disagree with what the majority decided so you call them stupid. THank you for making my point for me.

And no, that is not what democracy was supposed to be about.

See what I mean? You disagree with what the majority decided so you call them stupid. THank you for making my point for me.

And no, that is not what democracy was supposed to be about.

I call them stupid for wanting to leave the EU, just like I would call them stupid if they passed a law requiring people to stick their tongues in an electrical socket.

Just a few thoughts.

When the greater percentage of the masses are doing poorly, feel limited, and worry for their children's future, they will vote for change, but that is not spelled Obama. They reach out, they grasp, try something different. What is to be expected from such an electorate? They're not really stupid. Misinformed, misled, misused, abused and seeking truth through the common denominator, the ballot box. They are beginning to realize that two parties are reflective of a controlled body politic.

I call them stupid for wanting to leave the EU, just like I would call them stupid if they passed a law requiring people to stick their tongues in an electrical socket.

Why is it stupid for them to want to leave the EU?

When the greater percentage of the masses are doing poorly, feel limited, and worry for their children's future, they will vote for change, but that is not spelled Obama. They reach out, they grasp, try something different. What is to be expected from such an electorate? They're not really stupid. Misinformed, misled, misused, abused and seeking truth through the common denominator, the ballot box. They are beginning to realize that two parties are reflective of a controlled body politic.

And American Republicans are doing this by supporting Trump instead of the party that wants to wage the minimum wage and boost social programs?

This is about xenophobia and hatred. Organizations like Fox News and the UKIP drum up fear of the dark peoples and get them to vote against their interests. We have to sever uneducated, easily-manipulated people from the electorate.

We will not know the answer to that for years if not centuries. When the United States decided to declare its Independence from Britain few people said oh great now the will go on to become a super power. Just like today the know it all thought we would lose the war and our economy would be crushed without Britain. As usual the know it all were wrong.

I believe when the people take back control of their government things usually get better.

We have to sever uneducated, easily-manipulated people from the electorate.

So basically, you are in favor of preventing people from participating in the democratic process that hold opposing viewpoints to your own.

Just a few thoughts.
So what, democracy only "works" when voting goes your way? :roll:

So basically, you are in favor of preventing people from participating in the democratic process that hold opposing viewpoints to your own.

There are some things that should not be voted upon.

We don't vote on whether evolution is true or whether climate change is true. The insane idea of leaving the European Union should never have been up for a vote but the endless yapping of Nigel Farage and other Yokels and David Cameron finally gave in.

Democracy is broken if we have to vote on obvious things.

Why do you hate democracy? Wait, never mind, that was a stupid question.

And American Republicans are doing this by supporting Trump instead of the party that wants to wage the minimum wage and boost social programs?

This is about xenophobia and hatred. Organizations like Fox News and the UKIP drum up fear of the dark peoples and get them to vote against their interests. We have to sever uneducated, easily-manipulated people from the electorate.

Wrong! The electorate is the easily manipulated people voting with their wallets and fears. A failure of the manipulation is to be expected.

I agree, there's no way you and your ilk should be allowed to vote.

We don't vote on whether evolution is true or whether climate change is true. The insane idea of leaving the European Union should never have been up for a vote but the endless yapping of Nigel Farage and other Yokels and David Cameron finally gave in.

It doesn't matter if you think this shouldn't have been put up to a vote. The fact is the UK DID put it up to a vote, and the majority people of the UK voted to leave the EU.

You can't just deny the will of the UK people.

So people should vote for the party that lies about their position on wars and corporation welfare and is opposed to the second amendment. Yeah, no.

So wasn't it something like 71% percent of people turned out to vote and 52% of that voted to leave? Do you want to tell me how many people you just called racist?

His argument boils down to: people who disagree with me are stupid.

Its a sort of blind arrogance that may actually be... ... Stupid.

You know comparing matters of science to matters of national sovereignty is pretty ****ing stupid. A people voting on their country being a member of a group of nations is nothing like the people voting on matters of evolution. Jesus.

No, I want uneducated people with limited education making very important decisions. The UK wasn't voting on what kind of potato chips to have at the NASCAR party. This was about leaving the European Union.

No, I want uneducated people with limited education making very important decisions. The UK wasn't voting on what kind of potato chips to have at the NASCAR party. This was about leaving the European Union.

You just proved that I was in fact correct about you. You DO want to prevent people with opposing opinions from yours from participating in the democratic process.

Thanks for the confirmation. :peace

Back
Top Bottom