• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Has Dean completely lost his mind?

Has Dean completely lost his mind?

• No

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No he's been nuts now for a while.

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
26 X World Champs said:
OMG - This is so funny, I can't stop laughing at anyone who would think it was a serious piece. AMAZING!
I think you missed the intended ironic implication. It is not so much that the story wasn't true, but the fact that Dean is such a loose cannon that it *could* have been uttered by him. Neither Republicans nor Democrats have any idea what will froth out of Dean's mouth next. Clearly, Dean has wrested the 'liberal provovateur par excellence' crown from the more astute James Carville. Lol, from a Republican viewpoint... Dean is the best thing to hit the seamy beltway since Monica's stained blue dress.

Tashah said:
I think you missed the intended ironic implication. It is not so much that the story wasn't true, but the fact that Dean is such a loose cannon that it *could* have been uttered by him. Neither Republicans nor Democrats have any idea what will froth out of Dean's mouth next. Clearly, Dean has wrested the 'liberal provovateur par excellence' crown from the more astute James Carville. Lol, from a Republican viewpoint... Dean is the best thing to hit the seamy beltway since Monica's stained blue dress.

Exactly, like I said this guy is a loose cannon and the best thing that could happen to the Republican Party in 2006..........

Champs never seems to catch on..........

Yeah but that was basically what is post was about and, of course, it was obviously wrong. I mean if he did mean it as a joke he should've said so.I actually asked him in one of my earlier posts

Oh no Navy. Your not getting away that easily. You made a mistake. Admit it :)

FinnMacCool said:
Yeah but that was basically what is post was about and, of course, it was obviously wrong. I mean if he did mean it as a joke he should've said so.I actually asked him in one of my earlier posts

Oh no Navy. Your not getting away that easily. You made a mistake. Admit it :)

Well at least the Conservatives realized it was said tongue in cheek but you have to admit that Dean has made a lot of outrageous statements and that sounds like something he would spout.........

Navy Pride said:
BULLSHIT! You posted that piece as FACT so for you to now lie like this only points out what kind of person you really are.

Your "pride", foolishly, is preventing you from admitting your mistake so instead you're now pretending that you knew that story was bullshit. That is so untrue, so transparent, so bogus of you.

:hitsfan: :moon: :2funny:

26 X World Champs said:
Oh really? How many, approximately? According to the Washington Post only 12% of American Blacks voted for Bush. They say that American Blacks are THE MOST LOYAL of all Democratic voters. So please, please enlighten us and show us that, using your words, "There are many African-American Republicans." C'mon, prove it...I think you're very, very wrong:

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/01/10/AR2005033100897_pf.html

Well first off, "Many" is a subjective term in this case. Could many mean hundreds, thousands or hundreds of thousands?

I really don't care, they are ideologues just like the hard core Bush supporters. Why are the vast majority of them Democrats though? I don't have an answer for that and I'd go as far to venture that neither do you.

If you bring up race and socio-economic status then you are just towing the party line.

SixStringHero said:
Why are the vast majority of them Democrats though? I don't have an answer for that and I'd go as far to venture that neither do you.

If you bring up race and socio-economic status then you are just towing the party line.
Republicans have never had the support of Black Americans because they do not represent the political and idealogical viewpoint of the average Black American.

Republicans pass tax cuts. Democrats legislate entitlement programs. Tax cuts do not effect the people in the lower portion of the economic scale, they do not have an ROI that is meaningful. Entitlement programs, i.e. Affirmitive Action, Headstart etc. uplift people's economic standing and it is measurable.

I am not towing the line, you know why? Because it is FACT. Republican idealogy does not appeal to Blacks, obviously, since 88% voted for Kerry.

Facts are facts, and the fact is that what Dean professed regarding Katrina and the inept response by the Federal government does have something (though not everything) to with racial bias.

Navy Pride said:
Exactly, like I said this guy is a loose cannon and the best thing that could happen to the Republican Party in 2006..........

That's probably true, but hell, I like him anyways.:smile:

26 X World Champs said:
I am not towing the line, you know why? Because it is FACT. Republican idealogy does not appeal to Blacks, obviously, since 88% voted for Kerry.
Despite your intent to utilize race to cast aspersions on Republican ideology, your statement could also be easily transposed to reflect more of a negative on black voters than on the Republican agenda.

You also neglect to mention that Republicans are making greater inroads than Democrats among Hispanics, who are the fastest growing ethnic minority in the United States. Could this be because Hispanics, as recent newcomers, more readily embrace the Republican ideology of self-sufficiency and are not shackled by the historical entitlement precedents generated by Democrats?

26 X World Champs said:
Facts are facts, and the fact is that what Dean professed regarding Katrina and the inept response by the Federal government does have something (though not everything) to with racial bias.
Even Democrats are distancing themselves from Dean's unfounded and outrageous assertions. Either you are a blanket Dean apologist, or you actually do equate government ineptness with intentional racism. The two are not mutually inclusive. Dean's hypothesis and assertion of blatant Federal racism leads to a myriad of other very slippery slopes, i.e....

The US government was extremely inept when it failed to equip all Humvees sent to Iraq with updated armored shielding. According to Dean's racism rationale, this government ineptness must now be elevated to racism because it resulted in the deaths of many black military personel.

This is but one simple extended exemplar of the 'Dean Doctrine'. Anyone with half a brain can ferret out the intrinsic folly of this extrapolation. Nevertheless, this is exactly the slippery road that lies ahead for anyone who embraces the outrageous indictment against the government that Dean has publically levied.

It seems to me that for Mr. Dean, electoral victory is well worth the incalculable cost of dishonorable innuendo and invective. Shame on him, and to you for lending credence to this rancid and divisive ideology.

26 X World Champs said:
Despite your intent to utilize race to cast aspersions on Republican ideology, your statement could also be easily transposed to reflect more of a negative on black voters than on the Republican agenda.

You also neglect to mention that Republicans are making greater inroads than Democrats among Hispanics, who are the fastest growing ethnic minority in the United States. Could this be because Hispanics, as recent newcomers, more readily embrace the Republican ideology of self-sufficiency and are not shackled by the historical entitlement precedents generated by Democrats?

26 X World Champs said:
Even Democrats are distancing themselves from Dean's unfounded and outrageous assertions. Either you are a blanket Dean apologist, or you actually do equate government ineptness with intentional racism. The two are not mutually inclusive. Dean's hypothesis and assertion of blatant Federal racism leads to a myriad of other very slippery slopes, i.e....

The US government was extremely inept when it failed to equip all Humvees sent to Iraq with updated armored shielding. According to Dean's racism rationale, this government ineptness must now be elevated to racism because it resulted in the deaths of many black military personel.

This is but one simple extended exemplar of the 'Dean Doctrine'. Anyone with half a brain can ferret out the intrinsic folly of this extrapolation. Nevertheless, this is exactly the slippery road that lies ahead for anyone who embraces the outrageous indictment against the government that Dean has publically levied.

It seems to me that for Mr. Dean, electoral victory is well worth the incalculable cost of dishonorable innuendo and invective. Shame on him, and to you for lending credence to this rancid and divisive ideology.

I would like to clarify some of this.

First of all, the federal government does not have as big a role in the chaos that resulted from Katrina. The responsibility to evacuate the people, supply them, and call upon the federal government rests with the state and local governments, not federal. THIS IS THE LAW. Therefore, Bush could do very little until the mayor and governor called upon him for assistance. The state is responsible for evacuating people. Not the feds.

Want to hear reasons why the state and local government are so inept? First off, they did not begin evacuations until Saturday, despite the fact that a category-5 hurricane was on its way to a city below sea level. The freeway heading into N.O. had four lanes outbound, four lanes inbound. The four outbound lanes were packed with cars. The four inbound lanes were completely empty.
There were dozens of schoolbuses that could have been used to evacuate the poor and others who could not get out on their own. They now sit in a lake, half submerged, unused and unusable for evacuation.
The Superdome was being used as the major holding area for evacuees. However, it quickly ran out of food, water, and other necessities. There was no stores of emergency food and water for such an evacuation. Also, there was no real law enforcement in operation, as the NOPD was overextended. Rapes and beatings were occuring often in the Superdome, and the police who tried to stop the violence were easily repulsed.
The National Guard was not mobilised soon enough, which was a state responsibility. Had the Guard been deployed shortly after the levys broke and the city flooded, there would have been far less problems in terms of manpower and law enforcement.
The federal government was also not called upon soon enough, which is the responsibility of the state and local governments. When Bush asked the governor to allow the Guard to be put under one command, she "had to think about it for 24 hours".

What would I have done? One, I would have started the evacuation as soon as it was obvious that the hurricane was strong enough to breach the levys (simulations have been done on this subject, and they were quite similar to the current predicament), evacuated 7 lanes outbound 1 lane in, used the buses/public transportation to get the poor out, and taken quicker action once the levys had been breached.

It is not the responsibility of the federal government to evacuate, supply, rebuild, etc. People complain that the government didn't do enough for them, even going so far as to blame the feds for the problems they face. The fact is, the state and local governments did far more wrong than the federal government.

Some have gone so far as to say Bush made the hurricane destroy New Orleans... Seriously. They have. Kinda the same people who think Bush planned 9/11.

I weep for the fact that people like Dean would use a terrible national disaster like this to forward the political schemes of their own party, as well as for personal gain. I also weep that there are millions of people who simply believe what they hear and accept it as fact. "The season has come for Americans to look homeward ... instead of continuing to spend billions of dollars in Iraq," said Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va.
Obviously there are others with a political agenda that serves their party's interests. Which is both sad and disgusting.

Bush has cut short his vacation (he is still briefed etc., it's not like he's taking a break from running the country), motivated Congress to put a bill on his desk for relief efforts, and is now organizing his fourth trip to New Orleans. There is blame to be found on all levels of the government, but I think Bush did a pretty good job of response. Since he does not directly control FEMA, the state & local governments, etc., why should we blame him for their mistakes? That is like saying the school principal is directly responsible for losing a football season, when he does not directly control the coaches, team, etc.

Entitlement programs, i.e. Affirmitive Action, Headstart etc. uplift people's economic standing and it is measurable.

On paper, yes. Greater governmental involvment to the point of control over people's lives may look good in theory, but when you factor in human beings the whole thing tends to pervert itself.

Yes it does. Dean is using the race card to advance his own political agenda, as has happened many times in the past.

I think I have said enough at this point.

26 X World Champs said:
I agree with Dean 100%! I believe that had this same event occurred in a mostly White community Bush and his cronies would have had a swifter and more rapid response.

It DID happen in mostly white neighborhoods and the federal response was no different, in fact the last few hurricanes that have hit have hit mostly white areas and the response was slower.
For instance.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica] [FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"A full three weeks after the storm had passed, Rev. Jesse Jackson interviewed Witt on his CNN show "Both Sides Now" - and complained that flood victims were still suffering from a "misery index."[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"It seemed there was preparation for Hurricane Floyd, but then came Flood Floyd," Jackson began. "Bridges are overwhelmed, levees are overwhelmed, whole town's under water . . . [it's] an awesome scene of tragedy. So there's a great misery index in North Carolina." [/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]Witt explained that the storm's devastation was unparalleled, prompting Jackson to ask what was being done for the thousands of families left homeless by Floyd.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]Though nearly a month had passed since the storm first hit, Witt said his agency was just beginning to address the problem.[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier, Times New Roman]"We're starting to move the camper trailers in," he explained. "It's been so wet it's been difficult to get things in there, but now it's going to be moving very quickly. And I think you're going to see a -- I think the people there will see a big difference over within this next weekend."
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/7/134914.shtml
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Three weeks, and for Katrina it was less than 3 days before the full weight of the Federal government was in action in SPITE of the local authorities blocking them.

Bush's policies have been anti-poor since his days as Texas Governor so it is painfully obvious to me that his priorities for blacks are much less than his priorities for his political ass kissing colleagues.

Really? Well as O'Rielly noted last night this is just self-serving hogwash spouted to split the country for political gain. If this is so then how do you explain that in 1996 halfway through Clinton's term the poverty rate was 13.7% and halfway through Bush's it is 12.7%, a full percentage point lower. Or that halfway through Clinton's term 12.2% of the federal budget, $191 billion, was spent of poverty entitilements but halfway through Bush's $368 billion is spent which respresents 14.6% (even in a time of war).

I would add that Bush's no-child-left-behind has added accountablity to education and raised standards and test scores across the board, but who has benifited the most? The poor. Which group has shown the greatest increase? Black children.

I would add that his faithbased initiatives have brought even more assistance to the black communities with the long term goal of self-substistance as opposed to the liberal goal of continued government dependence.

I would add that we are spending more on this rescue and recovery that has been spent on any other such endeavor and how it is being spent is not determined by color.

Your statement is fallacious. The real question is why do you and others on the left make such fallacious statements which only split the country apart? Do you really think that Bush and his advisors and the heads of all the departments really sat around the table and said "Oh those people are black so don't go rushing in to help them just let them die". Is that the best your intellect can do?

Back
Top Bottom