• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Has anyone's mind actually changed about who they intend to vote for?

I ALMOST went over to the Trump side for about a day and a half due to the Supreme Court issue alone. But once I realized that we've survived packed courts before, I knew that I just couldn't vote for a maniac like Trump. So, for me, it's back to Gary Johnson.

Polls show Johnson is pulling slightly more voters from the Democrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. To me that actually demonstrates what a poor choice he is for conservatives. He has zero chance of winning the election.

I fully understand the concept of a protest vote, and sympathize with it. But such protest voters should realize their vote is realistically null and void.

I've read a number of threads in the Forum about Trump, Hillary, and the other third party candidates; but I wonder, has anyone actually changed their mind about who they intend to vote for?

I mean we have hardcore Hillary supporters putting up every kind of "he's unfit for office" attack they can muster from the media.

Then we have hardcore supporters of Trump responding in kind with every "she's unfit for office" factoid they can procure.

Meanwhile we have the third party die-hards, hoping this will be the first time in American history a third-party candidate can win (as if that's a new idea) plugging away by pointing out how everyone hates BOTH Trump and Hillary.

But has anyone really changed their position on their candidate, and switched? I know I haven't.

Have you? If not, why? If so, from whom to whom and how did it come about?

When I started out, Trump was not anywhere close to my short list of preferred candidates. But over the course of the campaign as candidate after candidate dropped out, I had to start giving him some serious consideration. And in the end it came down to whether I would support Trump, Kasich, or Cruz. I looked at Kasich, somebody I have admired and appreciated from the Clinton years, and though he would not likely go out of his way to make things worse, I saw him as a party guy and team player that would not make significant changes either. The government currently exists to increase the power, influence, prestige, and personal wealth of those in government and I don't think he would rock that boat.

Cruz would. But unfortunately Cruz is not of the character or temperament to make friends and inspire confidence. His colleagues don't like him and he would have a terrible time making any kind of meaningful deals to change anything. And his ego would not allow others to take the lead.

And then there is Trump who annoys me much more than he gives me reasons to appreciate him, but who I do see as a man with character, vision, and skills, no ideologue, no party lapdog, and unafraid to say what is on his mind.

So yes, I changed my mind and decided to support Trump. This was before Kasich and Cruz bailed out. If he does nothing more than get the economy moving again, saves our courts from radical progressivism, arrests illegal immigration, and helps unbind us from a political correctness that is destroying our culture and dividing us as never before seen, he will have done enough. And I honestly believe he is the only candidate still standing who can do that.

I've read a number of threads in the Forum about Trump, Hillary, and the other third party candidates; but I wonder, has anyone actually changed their mind about who they intend to vote for?

I mean we have hardcore Hillary supporters putting up every kind of "he's unfit for office" attack they can muster from the media.

Then we have hardcore supporters of Trump responding in kind with every "she's unfit for office" factoid they can procure.

Meanwhile we have the third party die-hards, hoping this will be the first time in American history a third-party candidate can win (as if that's a new idea) plugging away by pointing out how everyone hates BOTH Trump and Hillary.

But has anyone really changed their position on their candidate, and switched? I know I haven't.

I changed my mind about thirty times before the primaries. At one time I even considered Bernie. Now that the candidates are clear I am vehemently anti Hillary. I would vote for one of my ex wives before I voted for Hillary. I guess that means a vote for Trump.

I have changed my mind several times and will likely change it several more before Election Day. the thought of a Trump presidency disturbs me so much that voting my conscience isn't as easy at it usually is. It is easy for me to vote Green when the worst case scenario is Romney or McCain winning. But Trump? That throws the risk vs reward equation all off.

why would people support illegal immigration?
Well - I've seen some believe our country's immigration policies should be more accepting, and others make the argument that there are natural laws concerning the sharing and division of mankind's resources that surpass those of governments, and then those that claim ethical/moral/spiritual basis.

Some of the arguments are interesting, and I can even empathize with some; but not enough to demand less than a secure border, and a strictly adherence to the lawful immigration process.

I haven't. Short of massive brain damage, I could never have voted for Hillary or Trump. Trillary will be a disaster that I want no part of.

Thanks for the info. To me that actually demonstrates what a poor choice he is for conservatives. He has zero chance of winning the election.

I fully understand the concept of a protest vote, and sympathize with it. But such protest voters should realize their vote is realistically null and void.

So is any vote for a Republocrat. You're buried in the noise, and the status quo doesn't change by supporting the status quo.

So you thought he was going to build the "wall"? Or was it his "deportation force" that attracted you?

Sarah-Palin-Stormtroopers.jpg
I'm not for deportation at all. Secure the border & mandate e-verify, and the problem of those here illegally will resolve itself through time via their assimilation & attrition.

There's no need to address those here illegally, if the border is secure.

So my attraction to Trump (in this matter) was his appearance to want to resolutely stop illegal immigration, something I strongly support. I don't believe we should go as far as a literal wall if at all possible - the optics would be terrible. But I fully support a metaphorical wall, as air-tight as can be, and whatever it takes to do it.

I'm not for deportation at all. Secure the border & mandate e-verify, and the problem of those here illegally will resolve itself through time via their assimilation & attrition.

There's no need to address those here illegally, if the border is secure.

So my attraction to Trump (in this matter) was his appearance to want to resolutely stop illegal immigration, something I strongly support. I don't believe we should go as far as a literal wall if at all possible - the optics would be terrible. But I fully support a metaphorical wall, as air-tight as can be, and whatever it takes to do it.

Of course you know that no border is 100% secure and if we want to stop illegal immigration we need to work on the REASONS these people are so desperate to come here.

Yes.

I'm voting for Trump because I want both parties to implode and reform in a more representative and accountable form.

The rise of Trump has to tell both parties that their gig is up.

So is any vote for a Republocrat. You're buried in the noise, and the status quo doesn't change by supporting the status quo.

Your assessment is spot OFF. As per usual. :roll:

Nope.

Still not voting for Trump or Hillary.

They've only delivered what I expected. At least I'm not disappointed.

I intended all along to vote for the candidate who has the best chance of beating Hillary. I would have preferred any of the other GOP candidates over the Donald, but I will proudly vote against Hillary in the fall, Donald or no Donald. I would vote for Snoop Dog before I would vote for Hillary.

No I haven't

What has changed is my assessment of Trump. I initially thought he really believed the crap he was spewing. Now I believe he simply says it because he's trapped by the fact that his supporters want to hear it. I still believe him singularly unsuited to the Presidency, don't like him personally and don't trust him as far as I can throw a piano.

Clinton is vastly more suited to the Presidency from an experience standpoint. However I don't trust her as far as I can throw a piano, do not like her personally and I cannot stomach her 2A stance.

Watching Obama's speech last night I found myself thinking that another four years of him wouldn't be all that bad. I don't agree with his politics but I surprisingly find myself both liking and trusting the man despite political differences. I'm also surprised at how much I'm valuing the like and trust factor.

All that said, since the nominees firmed up I've planned to vote for Gary Johnson and still plan to.

yes. the storm of bull**** by the MSM is causing me to vote for Trump.

I am so sick of the lies and deceit that comes from journalists and hollywood elites.

It is so over the top. I swear if I saw Seth Meyers in the street I would spit in his face, then beat the **** out of him.

I haven't changed my mind from only voting for the down ballot races and leaving the president line blank since the presumptive nominees were determined. And since Missouri has no chance of being the tipping point state, I have the freedom to do that without feeling like I have to vote for a candidate whom I significantly disagree with. (Which is all four of the main ones).

speaking of reaching for "the best turd", that is an extremely obscure statistic, conducted by rasmussen of all places a polling center, thats proven to be heavily bias, and extremely innaccurate, their considered the least accurate of any major pollster. The statistic itself doesn't say much, since congressional approval is at 11%.

I think as a republican your trying to twist and turn the low approval ratings of your party, and the chaos of your primary, into "both parties do it too" which might as well be the republican motto at this point they do so much apologizing these days

I dont think people have "socially liberal and fiscal conservative ideas", that sounds like more nonsense sloganeering from the alt-right. we still see republicans demanding harsh laws concerning abortion, drugs, gay rights. And what is a fiscal liberal, have you ever heard anyone call themselves that? Seems like just another meaningless attack word meant to devalue the arguments of your opponents, rather than have a reasonable discussion. You just claim your ideas aren't based on fascism or oligarchy no theyre just "old fashioned fiscal conservativism" its just nonsense.

You have your own thoughts and that is fine, but there are more flexible and less stubborn than yourself.

WE, THE SHEEPLE

Then be prepared to accept the consequences. What consequences? Those that occur when totally inept people are elected to govern us.

You are "playing with politics" just because you are upset with the political alternatives. (Who isn't upset, btw?)

Perhaps you'd prefer someone who "walked on water"? The American people have consistently looked at the PotUS as some sort of God who would lead America to the Promised Land, without the slightest regard for our Tripartite System of Governance (the Executive, the Legislative and the Judicial).

All three elements have to work together and we have seen these past years how any one of them can throw a monkey-wrench onto the gears of governance.

My point: If we really 'n truly want Better Governance then we will have to change American mentalities regarding the individuals we elect to high office. If the Replicants use the HofR and the Senate to hinder a PotUS who is trying to employ stimulus-spending to ignite Demand and thus Consumption and thus Production and thus Employment, then a nation gets what it deserves, ie, Employment Stagnation.

Which is what we had for four long years as seen here (from the Bureau of Labor Statistics):
latest_numbers_LNS12300000_2006_2016_all_period_M06_data.gif

Notice in the above chart the years 2010 to 2014 when the Employment-to-Population ratio did not budge one bit, and remained a constant 58.5% of the population, down from 63% in 2006/8 (before the onset of the Great Recession). The economy created Net No Jobs after 2010. (When the Replicants in the HofR were delivering us "Austerity Budgeting", meaning no Stimulus Spending that all our serious economists were advising.)

We, the sheeple, seem not know how to select politicians in general. We allow political commercials on the BoobTube warp our judgment, and thus select the person who promises, like soap-powder,"to wash whiter than white!" (Never underestimate the power of the BoobTube to warp minds.)

If we wanted Better Gummint, we would vote for a better grade of people and we would have it. Washington is not Hollywood, and far different criteria apply in the selection process. It would help for candidates to have a clear political program stipulating what remedies are necessary for which acute problems - and debate them on TV.

Then the people could decide who had a better set of solutions.

The fault of Bad Government is purely of we, the sheeple - no one else. We let ourselves be manipulated by "merchandising techniques" when electing our representatives.

So we deserve the political class we elect.

END OF RANT ...

Soooo...I take it you are not voting this time around? :confused:

I have two college degrees in technical majors, several professional certifications & licenses, one US patent, and wrote three songs, yet I am continually told I am a dimwitted moron and uneducated for supporting someone other than Hillary or Sanders.

That's what makes your support all the more shocking :shrug:

People claiming to be sensible who support Trump are simply not being sensible.

I'm sorry but its true. :shrug:

Supporting the man clearly shows you're willing to throw a lot of sense out the window.

Hi :)

So are you uncommitted? If not, who is your choice?

I'm leaning toward Stein or Johnson - for different reasons. I know a 3rd party is never really going to gain favor in this country because the main two are so extreme with their divided powers that be, but one can hope.

Back
Top Bottom