• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone lost an estranged parent? How do you feel about it now?

I'm not in the absolution business, IOW not priest, not Pope, not father confessor, not court of justice nor anything similar.

Let anyone looking for forgiveness work it out with themselves.

I you screwed up, be it with me or be it with whoever, **** you and don't come sniveling to me to alleviate whatever guilt you feel or not.

You did it, now bloody well own it!!!

Or don't, I'm long past caring.

Same for me. My abuser mom is in a nursing home with advanced Alzheimers. I really don't care if she is dead or alive. She told me that she never wanted to be a mother and I deserved the abuse. Most of my family still defends her and I have cut off contact with them as well. Good riddance to the entire dysfunctional mess.
One need let go, the earlier the better.

Divorce, bereavement, maltreatments, fights, whatever.

Lingering is unhealthy.

My dad was a sick, twisted soul who abused me and my two younger brothers both physically and emotionally as kids. I was put in a foster home when I was 9 after the neighbors heard it and called the cops. My youngest brother was closed-fist beaten and bruised when he was 18. My middle brother was enslaved to the family business well into his 20's.

Over the years I've maintained an on-and-off again relationship with him. We've usually been able to pretend the gorilla in the room didn't exist and talk about everyday stuff instead. But any time I'd try to bring it up for some closure, he'd be full of excuses like I was very young and couldn't remember the situation accurately, or that the truly bad stuff was actually done by my step father (who was also abusive, but the truth is he was the "nice" one to me and mostly focused on my mom).

The last time I saw him was about 5 years ago. We went out to dinner with my GF and her family, during which he made a joking comment about my "manhood" because I don't like eating steak (which is also because of his abuse, ironically, but that's another story). Afterwards, as he drove away to head home (he lives several states away) I told my GF that I may never see him again, and that thought didn't make me feel sad at all.

Just over a couple years ago he was very disrespectful to me in emails, so finally I decided that he will always be an abuser and will never again be welcome in my life. So. ****ing. Done. I sent him an email that wasn't rude or hateful, but it pulled no punches in describing all of the major abusive things he did to me that I could remember, and made it clear that all I was really looking for was an acknowledgement and apology. Two weeks later he replied that I had a lot of words to say but very little standing to say them, and then made a generic statement of having "regret" for all of his "parental mistakes". I took it as more whitewash bullshit, just like always.

Fast forward to today. My only brother whose still in regular contact with him is telling me that he's been pissing blood and probably has prostate cancer. Same thing that took my grandpa. So naturally I can't help but second-guess whether or not I want to talk to him again. On one hand, once he's gone I'll never get that chance again. But on the other hand, I don't even know if I actually love him. There are some fond memories and I do try to remember them more than the other stuff, but at the end of the day that's not who he really was (and to an extent, is). Part of me thinks I'm probably not longing to talk to him, but instead I'm longing to talk to the father he should have been. The one he was supposed to be. The one that every child deserves. And the reality is, that's a father who I'll never be able to talk to, whether my real one is still alive or not. So what difference would it make? Wouldn't I be better off if I just hold him in my memory as having been a better father than he really was?
If you do anything understand you are doing it for you, not him. If you decide to visit it is for your mental health not his. It's for your peace and your closure. It's not selfish not that you'd think it was it's just rational. I've never been through this myself but someone very close to me has. He was disowned by parent and I've spoken to him about when this happens.

Expecting change out of people is futile but you know that better than I do.

I'm not in the absolution business, IOW not priest, not Pope, not father confessor, not court of justice nor anything similar.

Let anyone looking for forgiveness work it out with themselves.

I you screwed up, be it with me or be it with whoever, **** you and don't come sniveling to me to alleviate whatever guilt you feel or not.

You did it, now bloody well own it!!!

Or don't, I'm long past caring.
i work with a number of children who were not well treated by their birth parents
they did not ask to be placed in that situation
but they will feel the brunt of the trauma they endured from those who brought them into this world
this experience causes me to conclude your advice is misplaced

i work with a number of children who were not well treated by their birth parents
they did not ask to be placed in that situation
but they will feel the brunt of the trauma they endured from those who brought them into this world
this experience causes me to conclude your advice is misplaced
Seems like you misunderstand me.

I did not address any such unfortunate child, I addressed those that mistreated them.

1) If any child thus mistreated wants to embark on a path of forgiveness, fine.

2) If any of the "maltreaters" want to go on the path of asking for it, the hell with them.

3) If both occurrences should coincide, it'll have to be up to the individual(s).

None of the above three apply to me, not even #3.

To be clear, I'm not offering advice on here; I'm stating my stance and subsequent handling of a similar constellation.

My dad was a sick, twisted soul who abused me and my two younger brothers both physically and emotionally as kids. I was put in a foster home when I was 9 after the neighbors heard it and called the cops. My youngest brother was closed-fist beaten and bruised when he was 18. My middle brother was enslaved to the family business well into his 20's.

Over the years I've maintained an on-and-off again relationship with him. We've usually been able to pretend the gorilla in the room didn't exist and talk about everyday stuff instead. But any time I'd try to bring it up for some closure, he'd be full of excuses like I was very young and couldn't remember the situation accurately, or that the truly bad stuff was actually done by my step father (who was also abusive, but the truth is he was the "nice" one to me and mostly focused on my mom).

The last time I saw him was about 5 years ago. We went out to dinner with my GF and her family, during which he made a joking comment about my "manhood" because I don't like eating steak (which is also because of his abuse, ironically, but that's another story). Afterwards, as he drove away to head home (he lives several states away) I told my GF that I may never see him again, and that thought didn't make me feel sad at all.

Just over a couple years ago he was very disrespectful to me in emails, so finally I decided that he will always be an abuser and will never again be welcome in my life. So. ****ing. Done. I sent him an email that wasn't rude or hateful, but it pulled no punches in describing all of the major abusive things he did to me that I could remember, and made it clear that all I was really looking for was an acknowledgement and apology. Two weeks later he replied that I had a lot of words to say but very little standing to say them, and then made a generic statement of having "regret" for all of his "parental mistakes". I took it as more whitewash bullshit, just like always.

Fast forward to today. My only brother whose still in regular contact with him is telling me that he's been pissing blood and probably has prostate cancer. Same thing that took my grandpa. So naturally I can't help but second-guess whether or not I want to talk to him again. On one hand, once he's gone I'll never get that chance again. But on the other hand, I don't even know if I actually love him. There are some fond memories and I do try to remember them more than the other stuff, but at the end of the day that's not who he really was (and to an extent, is). Part of me thinks I'm probably not longing to talk to him, but instead I'm longing to talk to the father he should have been. The one he was supposed to be. The one that every child deserves. And the reality is, that's a father who I'll never be able to talk to, whether my real one is still alive or not. So what difference would it make? Wouldn't I be better off if I just hold him in my memory as having been a better father than he really was?
Don't do anything that may make you beat yourself up about it later. No pun intended.

Back
Top Bottom