• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has anyone gotten thru on healthcare.gov?

I've now completed answering all the questions and have gained access to the "marketplace" where I can view the 98 different plans they have on offer. The premiums range from $307 - $850 (before subsidies, if applicable) with varying levels of coverage. The highest deductible is $3000/individual and $6000/family and the lowest deductible is $0

Were you on a particular level? I understand that there are 4 levels of coverage, Bronze through Platinum.

Were these deductibles and premiums all in the same level or in the different levels?

Were you on a particular level? I understand that there are 4 levels of coverage, Bronze through Platinum.

Were these deductibles and premiums all in the same level or in the different levels?

I saw all four levels. My descriptions apply to plans that span all four levels. For example, the $307 premium was the lowest level with the highest deductible, and the $850 was the highest level with the lowest deductible

Well, I don't know much about computers, but I think it's difficult to test a load of 3 million+
Honestly, I think you guys are better off attacking things like how Obama's big business buddies get an exemption instead of "Their servers didn't work so the whole system won't!" :lol:

We can only assess the effectiveness of those parts that are actually up and running. That amounts to one part. It is not working.

Most of us work at companions that have computer systems and that handle pretty large amounts of data. They are most probably not of the size need for Obamacare.

That said, there are pretty large systems, Amazon comes to mind, that handle huge amounts of requests and transactions and handle payments and schedule delivery of products.

As far as I know, Amazon works. If the government was run by the private sector, we wouldn't be the laughing stock of the world and be wouldn't governed the most corrupt and corrupting government since ancient Rome.

Amazon's Cloud Can Handle 1 Million Transactions Per second - Business Insider
<snip>
Amazon's cloud is so popular, it now routinely handles more than 500,000 transactions every second, and peaks above 1 million.
<snip>

Read more: Amazon's Cloud Can Handle 1 Million Transactions Per second - Business Insider

We can only assess the effectiveness of those parts that are actually up and running. That amounts to one part. It is not working.

As I have already posted, and you have already read, I have been able to use almost every part of the system aside from actually enrolling in a plan.

IOW, it does work

Most of us work at companions that have computer systems and that handle pretty large amounts of data. They are most probably not of the size need for Obamacare.

Very few computer systems are as complicated as this. While many systems rely on huge databases, fewer rely on multiple databases the way this one does.

That said, there are pretty large systems, Amazon comes to mind, that handle huge amounts of requests and transactions and handle payments and schedule delivery of products.

This system is not like Amazon.

Before today, it was very slow and took several minutes for each page to load, and eventually the page would time out and I couldn't go further

Today, the response time is quick, and I got through the entire application process.

I don't know about income verification, but I didn't have to enter income info and it seems to know stuff about me which I suspect it got through a credit check

I heard an interview from a guy and I don't recall his name right now. He was connected a company that is techy. Immediately after the interview, I was rear ended and kind of lost my train of thought.

He said that there was a very good chance your data could be hacked because what he understood about the system led him to believe that the safeguards are not robust.

If they are using data that is already there, that seems to me to be a tad worrisome. Hello NSA!

As far as I know, Amazon works. If the government was run by the private sector, we wouldn't be the laughing stock of the world and be wouldn't governed the most corrupt and corrupting government since ancient Rome.

Amazon's Cloud Can Handle 1 Million Transactions Per second - Business Insider
<snip>
Amazon's cloud is so popular, it now routinely handles more than 500,000 transactions every second, and peaks above 1 million.
<snip>

Read more: Amazon's Cloud Can Handle 1 Million Transactions Per second - Business Insider
Like I said, I really don't know much about how servers work. But I do recall Amazon's servers becoming overloading, and as a result failing at one time. Also, I would imagine Amazon's servers had some growing pains like any other server. Not to mention I doubt they started out with that many people.

I heard an interview from a guy and I don't recall his name right now. He was connected a company that is techy. Immediately after the interview, I was rear ended and kind of lost my train of thought.

He said that there was a very good chance your data could be hacked because what he understood about the system led him to believe that the safeguards are not robust.

If they are using data that is already there, that seems to me to be a tad worrisome. Hello NSA!

A friend of mine told me that he has a friend who says that it's impossible to hack.

Like I said, I really don't know much about how servers work. But I do recall Amazon's servers becoming overloading, and as a result failing at one time. Also, I would imagine Amazon's servers had some growing pains like any other server. Not to mention I doubt they started out with that many people.

In about 10 minutes, the Amazon system could handle a transaction from every man, woman and chile in the USA. Between 500,000 and a million every second.

In about 10 minutes, the Amazon system could handle a transaction from every man, woman and chile in the USA. Between 500,000 and a million every second.

Do you think it could when their servers were first started?

Do you think it could when their servers were first started?

Do you think maybe the government could have asked them to help set things up?

This is not rocket science. There is a big computer system needed to support the inquiries from up to 300 million people. It is likely there will be a whole bunch of traffic on the first day.

Why not go to the guys who have already proven they can do it?

Do you think maybe the government could have asked them to help set things up?

This is not rocket science. There is a big computer system needed to support the inquiries from up to 300 million people. It is likely there will be a whole bunch of traffic on the first day.

Why not go to the guys who have already proven they can do it?

I think it's a little more complex than you're making it out to be, but like I said, I don't know much of anything about computers. I do know it looks silly to go after server issues on launch. However, If they persist I'll see some validity in your claims.

Alright, Alright! Amazon crashes all the time and is the worst system ever.

They will undoubtedly be raiding the experts from Obamacare to fix up their faltering operation.

Your hyperbole and straw men do not make your claims more credible.

They have the opposite effect

Last time I tried to access an American gov website I was not permitted to enter because I was behind a proxy at the time. I guess they don't want to allow visitors that the NSA can't track. Oh well.

Your hyperbole and straw men do not make your claims more credible.

They have the opposite effect

That was more sarcasm than anything else.

All I'm saying is that the thing is going to be a train wreck and this is a pretty good indication of that.

I am surprised about the fairly low cost of the policies. I'll be looking forward to seeing how they organize the doctors to accept this. The current insurance carriers have doctors in networks. i haven't heard allot about this, but i won't be seeing my doc for about another month for the annual TSA screening.

Is it going to be permissible to not accept Obamacare as a payment method?

That was more sarcasm than anything else.

All I'm saying is that the thing is going to be a train wreck and this is a pretty good indication of that.

I am surprised about the fairly low cost of the policies. I'll be looking forward to seeing how they organize the doctors to accept this. The current insurance carriers have doctors in networks. i haven't heard allot about this, but i won't be seeing my doc for about another month for the annual TSA screening.

Is it going to be permissible to not accept Obamacare as a payment method?

The wingnuts have a long history of predicting disaster and they are never right.

The wingnuts have a long history of predicting disaster and they are never right.

Never?

You apparently are not much of a current events buff.

Ok, so the endeavor continues. After the weekend where they were to address the issues I have tried thrice to log in with no success this morning...I sure hope it is easier to get plan options/prices that it is to log in...

anybody else with better luck on the federal site?

But now it's even creeping into media coverage so you know it must be really really bad.

Ok, so the endeavor continues. After the weekend where they were to address the issues I have tried thrice to log in with no success this morning...I sure hope it is easier to get plan options/prices that it is to log in...

anybody else with better luck on the federal site?

It's ok, they've only had 3 years to get it together. If you would stop logging on and jamming up the system all by yourself the kid next door who got me free satellite TV could fix it. sheeesh.

It's ok, they've only had 3 years to get it together. If you would stop logging on and jamming up the system all by yourself the kid next door who got me free satellite TV could fix it. sheeesh.

Comical but I find no humor in it. My current policy expires 2/1/14 due to non-compliance it CANNOT be renewed. It took be four months of hoops to get it. Between physicals, lost data, 're-physicals' it was a major endeavor. I hoped to get a jump on it this time...but!

However I DID realize today that there are companies in my state who are selling policies outside the exchange that DO comply (my current one doesn't-BCBS). I shopped some today and found that multiple options exist where the premium is within ~$50/mo of current ($800/mo). Bronze and silver lower, gold is higher. I am still analyzing the chosen interesting coverage but the deductibles, max out of pocket, co-pays and prescriptions is close enough to be irrelevant.

Comical but I find no humor in it. My current policy expires 2/1/14 due to non-compliance it CANNOT be renewed. It took be four months of hoops to get it. Between physicals, lost data, 're-physicals' it was a major endeavor. I hoped to get a jump on it this time...but!

However I DID realize today that there are companies in my state who are selling policies outside the exchange that DO comply (my current one doesn't-BCBS). I shopped some today and found that multiple options eoxist where the premium is within ~$50/mo of current ($800/mo). Bronze and silver lower, gold is higher. I am still analyzing the chosen interesting coverage but the deductibles, max out of pocket, co-pays and prescriptions is close enough to be irrelevant.

As luck would have it I'm insured. At some point I'd like to see what they are offering but I'll wait until it works. Given how many times the information has changed there is no telling how much the plans will cost by the time they can actually be purchased. I'm not too thrilled about having to have a policy that covers pregnancy and prenatal care for myself, my 12year old son and my wife who has no uterus. Making me purchase something I will never use doesn't seem affordable to me.

Back
Top Bottom