• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has any national election candidate ever done anything more stupid anywhere?

In Canada Trudeau did this fairly often (he won all of his elections). In one election season he said he was going to kick a protester's ass.

In Canada Trudeau did this fairly often (he won all of his elections). In one election season he said he was going to kick a protester's ass.

I can't recall a Canadian leader more interesting than Trudeau...... a little liberal but it seems everything's still running ok in Canada; I've always been thankful for y'all being right where you are next door.

Have a great day, Carjosse

Thom Paine

I can't recall a Canadian leader more interesting than Trudeau...... a little liberal but it seems everything's still running ok in Canada; I've always been thankful for y'all being right where you are next door.

Have a great day, Carjosse

Thom Paine

A little Liberal might be mild considering he was a former communist and policies are more social-democratic in nature.

Probably the most famous photo in the U.S. of a politician giving someone the finger. In this case the politician is Nelson Rockefeller who was Vice President of the U.S. at the time. He was saluting a heckler on a college campus if I remember correctly.

1377214008000-AP-GESTURING-CANDIDATES-001.jpg

A little Liberal might be mild considering he was a former communist and policies are more social-democratic in nature.

Yes, I remember. I thought you may pick up on the subtle 'little liberal' comment. He was interesting to watch from the States and he had a beautiful wife...

Don't want to derail the thread.... have a great one

Thom Paine

Probably the most famous photo in the U.S. of a politician giving someone the finger. In this case the politician is Nelson Rockefeller who was Vice President of the U.S. at the time. He was saluting a heckler on a college campus if I remember correctly.

I'd forgotten about that... it was an eye-opener at the time. :shock:

Thom Paine

A candidate for Governor of the US Virgin Islands distributed miniature condoms to the male members of the territorial legislature and lollipops to the female members. He almost won the election.

IMO, this is really a non-issue, and pretty pathetic that in our society, this will get much more headlines and controversy than his actual ideas.

But then, this is reality. Media and hype is part of the job.

I have no idea if it will help or disadvantage Steinbrück and his SPD. Maybe enough people like it? Maybe not. But maybe, no matter if they like it or not, it will at least push Steinbrück into the center of debate shortly before the election and give him headlines -- and the only bad publicity is no publicity, right?

IMO, this is really a non-issue, and pretty pathetic that in our society, this will get much more headlines and controversy than his actual ideas.

But then, this is reality. Media and hype is part of the job.

I have no idea if it will help or disadvantage Steinbrück and his SPD. Maybe enough people like it? Maybe not. But maybe, no matter if they like it or not, it will at least push Steinbrück into the center of debate shortly before the election and give him headlines -- and the only bad publicity is no publicity, right?

I think it mainly confirms his image of being impulsive and unpredictable and lacking self-control. He has a record of saying incredibly stupid things out of spontaneous moods. Which is a problem if you're a head of state. After his quite successful appearance at the TV debate the media had shifted its attention away from his many blunders - and now this. Which I find unfortunate since I really prefer an social democratic - green government.

I think it mainly confirms his image of being impulsive and unpredictable and lacking self-control. He has a record of saying incredibly stupid things out of spontaneous moods. Which is a problem if you're a head of state. After his quite successful appearance at the TV debate the media had shifted its attention away from his many blunders - and now this. Which I find unfortunate since I really prefer an social democratic - green government.

Personally, I kind of like it. After all the **** Steinbrück got from the media in the campaign, and the total unfair bashing, it's refreshing he will not bow but instead tell them to **** themselves when asked about it.

Sure, not classy at all, but really the appropriate reaction to the media's anti-Steinbrück campaign.

Personally, I kind of like it. After all the **** Steinbrück got from the media in the campaign, and the total unfair bashing, it's refreshing he will not bow but instead tell them to **** themselves when asked about it.

Sure, not classy at all, but really the appropriate reaction to the media's anti-Steinbrück campaign.

Seen from that angle, it's a high risk strategy. I doubt it will work the way he wants but I hope I'm wrong. Then again, many people are quite distrustful of the political and media elite, so he might win some sympathy for telling all the biased journalists to fück themselves (it won't be censored if you use an ü ;) )

Seen from that angle, it's a high risk strategy. I doubt it will work the way he wants but I hope I'm wrong. Then again, many people are quite distrustful of the political and media elite, so he might win some sympathy for telling all the biased journalists to fück themselves (it won't be censored if you use an ü ;) )

Are his ratings getting higher now?

because there is still 1 week till voting day, am i right?

Are his ratings getting higher now?

because there is still 1 week till voting day, am i right?

Yes, both Steinbrück's approval rate and that of his SPD rose a bit, after he did a pretty good performance in the tv duel against Merkel. But they're still considerably behind Merkel and the CDU/CSU.

Maybe the purpose was to get a picture with 2 smart and successful young ladies to underline his emphasis on feminism and equal opportunities, combining that with a solid grounding in Irish culture and lifestyle?

Not speaking as a mod here, but I'd better warn you that tricking the word censor is not allowed here. ;)

Anyway, I hope we won't see another CDU/CSU-FDP coalition. The FDP simply doesn't deserve it at all. Red-Green is probably way too improbable to hope for, but I think even another "grand coalition" would be better than the current mess.

Back
Top Bottom