• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvesting in a trade war: U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Harvesting in a trade war: U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar[/h]
(Reuters) - U.S. farmers finishing their harvests are facing a big problem - where to put the mountain of grain they cannot sell to Chinese buyers.
For Louisiana farmer Richard Fontenot and his neighbors, the solution was a costly one: Let the crops rot.
Fontenot plowed under 1,000 of his 1,700 soybean acres this fall, chopping plants into the dirt instead of harvesting more than $300,000 worth of beans.

"Trade wars are good, and easy to win."

Oh but congress can just cough up millions and pay the farmers right? I mean it's not Trump's own money so...

And if we win market access in China this will all have been worth it. Time to torque up the tariffs.
I mean the liberals cause all kinds of economic dispair for no reason other then that the Marxist religion demands it, so maybe so lost soybean crops for a final end to decades of manipulation is a good trade

Come to Wisconsin a go to a rural tavern and explain that theory to all the farmers...

Come to Wisconsin a go to a rural tavern and explain that theory to all the farmers...

Blah blah blah, go to Alaska and explain why we can’t drill oil in a barren wasteland

And if we win market access in China this will all have been worth it. Time to torque up the tariffs.
I mean the liberals cause all kinds of economic dispair for no reason other then that the Marxist religion demands it, so maybe so lost soybean crops for a final end to decades of manipulation is a good trade

hrrrmm... if the crops are rotting now due to not being able to export them to china... doesn't that mean that prior to the trade wars we were already exporting them to china?

Blah blah blah, go to Alaska and explain why we can’t drill oil in a barren wasteland

I was just up there and my son lives there, it is far from a barren wasteland and residents don't want it destroyed.

How many "drill baby drill" bumper stickers to he see around the gulf nowadays???

hrrrmm... if the crops are rotting now due to not being able to export them to china... doesn't that mean that prior to the trade wars we were already exporting them to china?

Already exporting and expecting an uptick in orders. Then Trump tromps in and kills the market.

And tries to to use taxes to paper over the damage he caused.

Blah, blah, change the subject.

This is a thread about trade wars and the results thereof. If you want to argue against the totally unrelated issue of drilling in the Arctic, please start a thread on that subject.

Blah, blah, change the subject.

This is a thread about trade wars and the results thereof. If you want to argue against the totally unrelated issue of drilling in the Arctic, please start a thread on that subject.

You are making emotional arguments about the impact of a single policy when plenty of policies you likely support create the same effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Oppose ANWR Drilling

Congressional Republicans have finally succeeded – after more than 35 years of debate - in authorizing oil drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) even though more voters than ever are opposed.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that just 35% of Likely U.S. Voters now believe the United States should allow oil drilling in the ANWR. Fifty-three percent (53%) are opposed, while another 12% are undecided.

:roll:

Most American voters do not understand the issue well enough to have an informed opinion.

You are making emotional arguments about the impact of a single policy when plenty of policies you likely support create the same effect.

I see. Pointing out that crops are rotting due specifically to Trump's trade wars is an emotional argument, when there are other government policies that also create economic problems.

Therefore, in order to protect Trump from his own decisions, we must bring up a totally unrelated issue.

Oh but congress can just cough up millions and pay the farmers right? I mean it's not Trump's own money so...

Turns out Trump’s payoffs to the farmers aren’t actually getting to them. Just more empty promises.

Already exporting and expecting an uptick in orders. Then Trump tromps in and kills the market.

And tries to to use taxes to paper over the damage he caused.
A billion 4 population just gotta eat, not just once but continuously... and they need to work and for that they need sell a lot of product to US.

Xi will cave or he will have insurrection. Chinese of today are used to the better life, he cannot just scale that back indefinitely. They aren't going back to trading babies to eat.

A billion 4 population just gotta eat, not just once but continuously... and they need to work and for that they need sell a lot of product to US.

Xi will cave or he will have insurrection. Chinese of today are used to the better life, he cannot just scale that back indefinitely. They aren't going back to trading babies to eat.

The people in power in China, still remember the bad times and starvation. They told their children this, and anyone over 30 in China, still remembers when even the east coast was quite poor. Right now, with the trade issue in the US, and the teaching of history (ie the 1800's and early 1900's) the vast majority of Chinese would rather suffer economically than bow down against any foreign power again. Only those born in the last say 25 years would be against that in general

So Xi right now has the perfect outside enemy to blame any economic issues on, the US and Trump. Last but not least, China is not going to collapse, at the very most it will see what happened to South Korea in 1997, but due to having much higher reserves should come out ok.

The people in power in China, still remember the bad times and starvation. They told their children this, and anyone over 30 in China, still remembers when even the east coast was quite poor. Right now, with the trade issue in the US, and the teaching of history (ie the 1800's and early 1900's) the vast majority of Chinese would rather suffer economically than bow down against any foreign power again. Only those born in the last say 25 years would be against that in general

So Xi right now has the perfect outside enemy to blame any economic issues on, the US and Trump. Last but not least, China is not going to collapse, at the very most it will see what happened to South Korea in 1997, but due to having much higher reserves should come out ok.

Also, China will find other markets. Grateful markets who are glad that Trump has hobbled our farmers. When Trump finally decides our trade war is over, our surviving farms will have to try to rebuild their markets. How far toward the back of the pack we are will depend on how long Trump keeps jerking our farmers around.

coming from an agricultural family, i hate to see farmers suffer, even if a lot of them voted for the orange fool. i hope that they find a market for their crops.

Nice try.

Xi won't last another 6 years if he doesn't go along to get along. Now that Trump has had the balls to call China out, and with the many fair, but better for America trade deals already in hand, more in the offing, many others will also want China to stop manipulating Chinas currency to their own benefit and stealing wholesale our intellectual properties, pirating our products...and you see, as to another, ill-informed poster's silly point, China can't find a replacement market for America...

Since there is not one out there.

And really? "...than bow down to a foreign power again"? Are you kidding me? Allowing for fair, reciprocal trade is far from bowing down to a foreign power. The Chinese people arent stupid, they know what their government is up to.

coming from an agricultural family, i hate to see farmers suffer, even if a lot of them voted for the orange fool. i hope that they find a market for their crops.

Maybe slenderman and the fat womans minions can all form a kumbaya circle, chant "...all we are saying, is give crops a chance...".

Then get out your check books and write a check to the farmers in need. And then form a cooperative to help out folks without healthcare, maybe then take in illegal immigrant families into your own home, eh? You know, as you care so much for them more than we do.

Or, at least so you say. Actions, not words, prove where your heart actually is.

Oh, and while you have your check book out, write one for as much as possible going towards the national debt we have due to overspending the US does every year really mainly to prop up your client groups. You know, pay your own way instead of having the American taxpayer, want to or not, fund them?

Might get some practice writing that way, too.

Win Win. Lets hear it for those farmers and your giving check books.

Maybe slenderman and the fat womans minions can all form a kumbaya circle, chant "...all we are saying, is give crops a chance...".

Then get out your check books and write a check to the farmers in need. And then form a cooperative to help out folks without healthcare, maybe then take in illegal immigrant families into your own home, eh? You know, as you care so much for them more than we do.

Or, at least so you say. Actions, not words, prove where your heart actually is.

Oh, and while you have your check book out, write one for as much as possible going towards the national debt we have due to overspending the US does every year really mainly to prop up your client groups. You know, pay your own way instead of having the American taxpayer, want to or not, fund them?

Might get some practice writing that way, too.

Win Win. Lets hear it for those farmers and your giving check books.

thanks for that verbal diarrhea. as for helping the farmers, i will be voting against the tangerine clown party for the rest of my life. if other independents do the same, we can undo his useless trade wars.

thanks for that verbal diarrhea. as for helping the farmers, i will be voting against the tangerine clown party for the rest of my life. if other independents do the same, we can undo his useless trade wars.

If you really want to help farmers, get the commodities wagers, the commodities market either fully regulated or replaced. I'd prefer the latter. When a farmer receives 2.37 per bushel of wheat but the commodities market closing price for the day is 5.12 per bushel, who is getting the balance? Not the farmer, so who and why? Too much rain, too little rain, who gets hurt? Not the commodities broker, then who? Who is making money from the trade wars, couldn't be the commodity brokers?

Every year, for ten years running, my neighbor's boutique dairy farm sells a bit above $800k of sheep and goat cheeses directly to restaurants and cheeses stores. No brokers. That includes sales from his roadside stand and annual catalog of smoked varieties. He started with 80 sheep 24 years ago. No loans. Now he works a bit more than 200 acres, mostly growing grasses and oak trees. His acorn fed lamb is world renown and desired every Spring. Provides almost all his own feed, leasing out herds of 50 sheep for lawn maintenance to local (within 150-200 miles) estates for a week at a time. A lot cheaper than a guy on a garden tractor, and more attractive. Every Spring his sales of butchered lamb earns him close to $1.2 mil, again mostly from restaurants and specialty shops. He also produces goat's milk, eggs, goat cheeses, hides, pears, cherries, walnuts, and a bit more. His cost vary, but he clears more than $1.2 mil annually. He's laughing at the trade wars and all the farmers who once told him he would never succeed, and they are out of business. His insurance doesn't cover him when one of his animals raids a neighbor's flower garden. He laughs, good naturedly and pays them off with cheeses that would cost them more at his stands or a store. I think some of his neighbors purposefully open his gates at night.

The commodities markets are like the stock markets, only in trouble when there are no buyers for product at discount. Both markets are down from highs, but no one is reporting an absence of buyers.

Back
Top Bottom