• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvesting in a trade war: U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar

If you really want to help farmers, get the commodities wagers, the commodities market either fully regulated or replaced. I'd prefer the latter. When a farmer receives 2.37 per bushel of wheat but the commodities market closing price for the day is 5.12 per bushel, who is getting the balance? Not the farmer, so who and why? Too much rain, too little rain, who gets hurt? Not the commodities broker, then who? Who is making money from the trade wars, couldn't be the commodity brokers?

Every year, for ten years running, my neighbor's boutique dairy farm sells a bit above $800k of sheep and goat cheeses directly to restaurants and cheeses stores. No brokers. That includes sales from his roadside stand and annual catalog of smoked varieties. He started with 80 sheep 24 years ago. No loans. Now he works a bit more than 200 acres, mostly growing grasses and oak trees. His acorn fed lamb is world renown and desired every Spring. Provides almost all his own feed, leasing out herds of 50 sheep for lawn maintenance to local (within 150-200 miles) estates for a week at a time. A lot cheaper than a guy on a garden tractor, and more attractive. Every Spring his sales of butchered lamb earns him close to $1.2 mil, again mostly from restaurants and specialty shops. He also produces goat's milk, eggs, goat cheeses, hides, pears, cherries, walnuts, and a bit more. His cost vary, but he clears more than $1.2 mil annually. He's laughing at the trade wars and all the farmers who once told him he would never succeed, and they are out of business. His insurance doesn't cover him when one of his animals raids a neighbor's flower garden. He laughs, good naturedly and pays them off with cheeses that would cost them more at his stands or a store. I think some of his neighbors purposefully open his gates at night.

The commodities markets are like the stock markets, only in trouble when there are no buyers for product at discount. Both markets are down from highs, but no one is reporting an absence of buyers.

i just hope that the current madness doesn't result in more small farmers going out of business and having to sell their land to the big corporate farming operations. one entitled rich asshole's ego seems to be a poor reason to end a family farming tradition.

thanks for that verbal diarrhea. as for helping the farmers, i will be voting against the tangerine clown party for the rest of my life. if other independents do the same, we can undo his useless trade wars.
Thats fine with us, we worked hard to get all our bigots out previously... now all the do and know nothings but always saying too much, speaking of diarrhea...you know, anti American types.

you missed a few.

View attachment 67244811

sorry, wrong number.
Hey all you Einsteins out there... that is not a picture of the Republican Party. How STUPID can some folks get in their blind hatred? Pretty dang stupid it is quite apparent.

This isnt the lotto, bro. Number is -7, thats the number I am quite sure. Or perhaps negatively lower... thats just the last time I checked.

Hey all you Einsteins out there... that is not a picture of the Republican Party. How STUPID can some folks get in their blind hatred? Pretty dang stupid it is quite apparent.

there are some very fine people in that picture, though, right? the dude on the right looks like a fine young aryan, and Goebbels just needs a comb.

This isnt the lotto, bro. Number is -7, thats the number I am quite sure. Or perhaps negatively lower... thats just the last time I checked.

welp, you're the expert on that, apparently.

i just hope that the current madness doesn't result in more small farmers going out of business and having to sell their land to the big corporate farming operations. one entitled rich asshole's ego seems to be a poor reason to end a family farming tradition.

Many if not most are being sold to foreign (mostly china) corporate farms...

Many if not most are being sold to foreign (mostly china) corporate farms...

farming is truly a global market. with an expanding population, it will continue to be. i would like to see the family farms which have survived the past forty years benefit from that.

you missed a few.

View attachment 67244811

sorry, wrong number.

Search Google for image.... best results....

About 2,560,000 results (0.38 seconds)
Search Results
Web results
Unite the Right rally - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally
At around 1:45 p.m., a self-identified white supremacist rammed his car into a .... white supremacist Richard Spencer led a rally in Charlottesville to protest the ...
Date‎: ‎August 11–12, 2017 Location‎: ‎Charlottesville, Virginia‎, U.S
Organized by‎: ‎Jason Kessler‎, ‎Richard Spencer Arrest(s)‎: ‎11
‎Jason Kessler · ‎Charlottesville car attack · ‎Unite the Right 2 · ‎Vehicle-ramming attack

Right wing rally

Where is one entitled rich asshole whose ego is creating an end to family farming tradition? Seriously.

If this embargo creates suffering, it will be for the commodities crowd, and the large corporate farms, not the small guys who have different markets. I suggest it will be the boutique farmers whose lives will improve, not the large corporate managers. There are no large enough to compete family owned wheat farmers left. There are small farro farmers, silver oats farmers, and specialty dairy farmers, family owned, highly scientific, with no Chinese or Indian markets. The small farmers of today are in old converted Brooklyn and and Seattle shore front warehouses, using hydroponics, methods for enhancing growth without depleting resources. No slash and burn rotation, no use of lye for a single crop, forcing slash and burn for recovering the cycle. No more growing asparagus where buffalo grasses held the top soil in place until depleted with in a year of heavy plowing for those who seek cheap meat from overeaten great plains. What exactly are you talking about? Let's talk Cornell's safe yield programs, not Manheim's maximum utilization for quick money followed by patterns of starvation of the soil.

Anyone can grow trees, and then talk about self formed climate change causing fires, just look at California. Manheim at work. I'm so impressed when political dullards blame another party after never planting a stick in the mud.

there are some very fine people in that picture, though, right? the dude on the right looks like a fine young aryan, and Goebbels just needs a comb.

welp, you're the expert on that, apparently.
Not my cup of tea, but...

Have they specifically committed some crime? Sources? Where are the pictures of them throwing urine and feces, nasty, in ballons on the "bad guys", hitting people with poles or bike locks, sucker punching an elderly fat lady supporter... got any of those to show us...

You know, like those fascista black shirts of antifa? Or are you just feebly shaming folks of a certain race and ethnicity, trying to instill fear, loathing....both?

As to your "welp"....Yes, I guess so. However it does not take much to be ahead of you on the topic, any topic. However #2, you always got google aggregation to fall back on, eh? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Not my cup of tea, but...

Have they specifically committed some crime? Sources? Where are the pictures of them throwing urine and feces, nasty, in ballons on the "bad guys", hitting people with poles or bike locks, sucker punching an elderly fat lady supporter... got any of those to show us...

You know, like those fascista black shirts of antifa? Or are you just feebly shaming folks of a certain race and ethnicity, trying to instill fear, loathing....both?

As to your "welp"....Yes, I guess so. However it does not take much to be ahead of you on the topic, any topic. However #2, you always got google aggregation to fall back on, eh? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

i didn't say that it was a crime to be a nazi. i will say that there are no "very fine" nazis, though. they are scumbags.

Come to Wisconsin a go to a rural tavern and explain that theory to all the farmers...

That's a good way to get one's head beat in.

They should realize however, that their market is so unstable. If we just had fair trade agreements to start with, we wouldn't be going through this now. To make things right for us in world trade, there will be some pain at first.

There is no easy solution, but to bend the knee to China is not the right answer.

Not saying Trump didn't **** things up with his poorly thought-out tariffs, but....

LOL! How about they sell that stuff to Americans. Man, that was easy. I must be a super genius compared to those numbnuts.

Because Americans don't want to buy it.

Hell if not for food stamps (part of the farm bill) a very large portion of Americans could not afford it anyway.

True enough. Without food stamps, lots of people would do without adequate food while crops would go begging for a market. It would be the 1930s all over again.

Back
Top Bottom