• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun Con

Re: Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun

Now that we know that this is an opinion piece that is not backed up with facts or data, why should we bother reading it? It is just more meaningless drivel that was probably financed by the gun manufacturers. More guns = more gun violence is a universal constant. Just owning a gun raises your chances of being shot by it.
*sigh*
Just drinking alcohol raises you chance of raping your date.....

Re: Harvard University Study Reveals Astonishing Link Between Firearms, Crime and Gun

I'm so tired of these false analogies. Cars transport people and yet we regulate the heck out of them to reduce injuries and death. Pools are to swim in and we regulate them too with fences to keep out young ones. Guns are to kill people, very often the owners themselves yet we need to make them as available as milk and any regulations are forbidden. There at least need to be warning labels telling prospective buyers that they are increasing their chance of violent death by owning one. How many buyers know this fact? Or the fact that even police have found that their most dangerous weapon is their own gun?

Out of 120 million owners how many shoot themselves very often? Vacuous statement.

Because most people realize the risks and know that without other risk factors they are highly unlikely to ever harm themselves or others with a firearm.

Out of 120 million owners how many shoot themselves very often? Vacuous statement.

Because most people realize the risks and know that without other risk factors they are highly unlikely to ever harm themselves or others with a firearm.

Actually polls show otherwise. People are dumber than you think.

Tragically, a record number of Americans subscribe to some version of this mythology, with 63 percent (67 percent of men polled and 58 percent of women) believing that guns truly do make them safer. The public’s confidence in firearms, however, is woefully misguided: The evidence overwhelmingly shows that guns leave everybody less safe, including their owners.

A study from October 2013 analyzed data from 27 developed nations to examine the impact of firearm prevalence on the mortality rate. It found an extremely strong direct relationship between the number of firearms and firearm deaths. The paper concludes: “The current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.” This finding is bolstered by several previous studies that have revealed a significant link between gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. This international comparison is especially harrowing for women and children, who die from gun violence in America at far higher rates than in other countries.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

I'm so tired of these false analogies. Cars transport people and yet we regulate the heck out of them to reduce injuries and death. Pools are to swim in and we regulate them too with fences to keep out young ones. Guns are to kill people, very often the owners themselves yet we need to make them as available as milk and any regulations are forbidden. There at least need to be warning labels telling prospective buyers that they are increasing their chance of violent death by owning one. How many buyers know this fact? Or the fact that even police have found that their most dangerous weapon is their own gun?

stop spewing lies. that is among the most dishonest pieces of crap I have seen from the gun banners side.

That is flat assed hyperbolic rhetoric. Maybe there should be a warning sign on the perimeter of every "Gun Free Zone", "Danger, you are entering a Gun Free Zone where you will be a soft target and may be shot."

Prove that a person a firearm is more likely to victim of a violent death by owning a firearm. That is also B.S.. Fear monger much?

Last edited:

That is flat assed hyperbolic rhetoric. Maybe there should be a warning sign on the perimeter of every "Gun Free Zone", "Danger, you are entering a Gun Free Zone where you will be considered a soft target and may be shot."

less than one out of 100 guns ever are used in a crime but 40% of black males-or more-have felony records by age 40 in most cities. Maybe iguana man would want black males to wear signs saying "warning" there is a 40% chance I may be a convicted felon and dangerous to your health and property" :mrgreen:

the propagandist that wrote that crap has no credentials relevant to this discussion. He's a Huff Puff leftist and its complete crap

This poor lady was no leftist though...No one is immune from the dangers of gun ownership.

In light of the overwhelming evidence that guns are a public health threat, gun advocates often retreat to an “it could never happen to me” mentality. This worldview is tragically mistaken. Consider the case of Veronica Dunnachie. She was, by many gun advocates’ definition, a good gal with a gun. A strident voice for gun rights, she was an open carry advocate, dedicated to expanding the unlicensed open carrying of firearms. In Texas, open carry is currently restricted to long guns; she pushed to include handguns. She frequently attended rallies and protests organized by Open Carry Tarrant County (an offshoot of Open Carry Texas). In a domestic dispute on Dec. 10, she allegedly shot and killed her husband and stepdaughter. Horrified, Dunnachie called a friend, telling him she “had just done something bad” and, at his urging, checked herself into a nearby mental health clinic.

This poor lady was no leftist though...

what relevance does that have-we can find plenty of cases where a woman had defended herself rather than going nutso and committing first degree murder.

why the charade? you all only pretend to care that public safety is what motivates your jihad against gun rights

but we see that every banner or restrictionist is invariably a left winger and its obvious what really pisses gun banners off is the politics of gun owners and gun organizations. You all don't spend any time whining about other ways people are killed. That is because those ways are not perceived to be the province of the political group liberals despise

That is flat assed hyperbolic rhetoric. Maybe there should be a warning sign on the perimeter of every "Gun Free Zone", "Danger, you are entering a Gun Free Zone where you will be a soft target and may be shot."

Prove that a person a firearm is more likely to victim of a violent death by owning a firearm. That is also B.S.. Fear monger much?

LOL It is common knowledge with dozens of statistics to back it up. What's the matter? Did I scare you? That gun in your hand is statistically the most likely weapon to shoot you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

Actually polls show otherwise. People are dumber than you think.

It is pretty revealing that EVERYONE that argues this garbage has to find their information on a left wing hack sight. Why doesn't anyone on the left use valid sources like the FBI? Because it would prove the opposite of what gun banners are trying to prove.

This poor lady was no leftist though...No one is immune from the dangers of gun ownership.

There are 319,000,000 people in the US and you pick out one anecdotal incident build a whole false premise around her. That "If it will save just one life" emotional clap trap doesn't cut it.

what relevance does that have-we can find plenty of cases where a woman had defended herself rather than going nutso and committing first degree murder.

why the charade? you all only pretend to care that public safety is what motivates your jihad against gun rights

but we see that every banner or restrictionist is invariably a left winger and its obvious what really pisses gun banners off is the politics of gun owners and gun organizations. You all don't spend any time whining about other ways people are killed. That is because those ways are not perceived to be the province of the political group liberals despise

The relevance is that her family would still be alive if she did not own a gun. Homicide against a family member is a much more likely use of a gun in the home than any "home invasion" where a gun is used for protection.
Our gun deaths per capita are the highest in the developed world perhaps that is why guns are an issue.

Last edited:

LOL It is common knowledge with dozens of statistics to back it up. What's the matter? Did I scare you? That gun in your hand is statistically the most likely weapon to shoot you.

It isn't common knowledge. The matter is that you try to pass such ludicrous crap off as fact and then claim that is common knowledge because you don't have the data to back it up. I already responded to that left wing trash propaganda. I bet I can find articles from the NRA and Fox News. Would you accept that as valid?

The relevance is that her family would still be alive if she did not own a gun. Homicide against a family member is much more likely for gun owners than any "home invasion" where a gun is used for protection.

and there are lots of people who would be alive if they had a gun like the Manson victims etc. Your claims about homicide of a family member doesn't screen out illegal gun owners and drug abusers w ho are far far more likely to kill family members

here is the bottom line-if you are afraid to own a gun don't own one and keep your laundry bills down. But stop telling those of us who know far more about this subject-including the risks and responsibility of gun ownership, that we shouldn't own them because you assume we are as incompetent and afraid of them as you appear to be

and there are lots of people who would be alive if they had a gun like the Manson victims etc. Your claims about homicide of a family member doesn't screen out illegal gun owners and drug abusers w ho are far far more likely to kill family members

here is the bottom line-if you are afraid to own a gun don't own one and keep your laundry bills down. But stop telling those of us who know far more about this subject-including the risks and responsibility of gun ownership, that we shouldn't own them because you assume we are as incompetent and afraid of them as you appear to be

How can you be sure you won't "snap" one day too? It seems that you are the scared one if you need to risk your family being shot so you can feel safe. Because you are increasing their risks of being shot, statistics don't lie.

How can you be sure you won't "snap" one day too? It seems that you are the scared one if you need to risk your family being shot so you can feel safe. Because you are increasing their risks of being shot, statistics don't lie.

Statistics don't lie but they can be twisted and misrepresented such as what you are doing....they need to be taken in context with other factors

Statistics don't lie but they can be twisted and misrepresented such as what you are doing....they need to be taken in context with other factors

I am constantly amazed how normally logical people can't understand that having a deadly weapon or weapons laying around might cause you or someone you love to get shot by one of them. That gun is around you and your family everyday and there are dozens of things that could happen. Please don't use the home "protection" excuse because the chances of that are so small they don't even register. Just remember that your "peace of mind" is not without a risk far greater than the chances of your gun "saving" you in a home invasion. You can reduce that risk greatly by placing trigger locks on all your guns.

Last edited:

you're just making crap up now. You are engaging in an argument for prior restraint-ban people based on what they might do rather than depriving people of rights after being duly convicted. I am very well trained How many people with my training cause accidents vs stop crime. I have already detained one would be burglar at gun point and turned him over to the police and shot one mugger leading to his and his accomplice's arrest and he was jailed for 3 years as a result. I also stopped a break in in my parents' house 35 years ago. we didn't catch the guy at that time. So that is three felonies i have prevented with a firearm on property I lived on. IN another case, I observed a crack deal and had the sellers follow me for several miles and when I pulled into a parking lot they got out and started yelling threats until I pulled my jacket back and they saw my Sig 226-so that was probably another felony merely showing a holstered gun stopped. that too led to a police report since I was a prosecutor at the time and I damn well knew they were selling crack. that led to arrests and a possession charges after I gave a description to the local constabulary.

I am constantly amazed how normally logical people can't understand that having a deadly weapon or weapons laying around might cause you or someone you love to get shot by one of them. That gun is around you and your family everyday and there are dozens of things that could happen. Please don't use the home "protection" excuse because the chances of that are so small they don't even register. Just remember that your "peace of mind" is not without a risk far greater than the chances of your gun "saving" you in a home invasion. You can reduce that risk greatly by placing trigger locks on all your guns.

Yet it happens to less that .001% of 120,000,000 legal gun owners. Given those numbers, how likely is it to happen. In all fairness, statistics show you are more 100 times more likely to injure/kill yourself while under the influence of alcohol if you consume alcohol. I cannot understand how logical people can continue to have alcohol in their home knowing that it could lead to the rape, death or abuse of their spouse or children. Don't give me the old "it makes me more attractive" or "it makes me dance better". Is it really worth the trauma caused by someone's date rape? It is after all, the daterape drug of choice.

Yet it happens to less that .001% of 120,000,000 legal gun owners. Given those numbers, how likely is it to happen. In all fairness, statistics show you are more 100 times more likely to injure/kill yourself while under the influence of alcohol if you consume alcohol. I cannot understand how logical people can continue to have alcohol in their home knowing that it could lead to the rape, death or abuse of their spouse or children. Don't give me the old "it makes me more attractive" or "it makes me dance better". Is it really worth the trauma caused by someone's date rape? It is after all, the daterape drug of choice.

the fact that the left constantly whines about the danger of guns ( objects they perceive as mainly owned by right wing voters) but not things that are both more dangerous and more evenly spread about the political spectrum (like booze), proves to me that the leftwing Jihad against gun rights really isn't motivated by a bona fide desire for public safety

Back
Top Bottom