• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable

TU Curmudgeon

B.A. (Sarc), LLb. (Lex Sarcasus), PhD (Sarc.)
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
From FOX News

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable

A Harvard graduate student was told she has to move out of her apartment after her roommates found her legally owned firearms “uncomfortable” and anxiety-inducing.

Leyla Pirnie, a 24-year-old Alabama native, told the Washington Free Beacon that she felt roommates violated her privacy after searching her room without her consent and then confronting her over gun ownership.

“When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

COMMENT:-

I can hardly wait to hear the howls of outrage over the "unconstitutional search" and "attempted violation of Second Amendment rights".

I mean, after all, just because your roommate's behaviour is unacceptable to you that doesn't mean that you have any right to ask them to leave - regardless of how you found out about the behaviour.

And, naturally, this woman's roommates have absolutely no right to know that she believes that she has reasonable grounds to believe that someone might break into the apartment and commit acts of violence.

And, of course, everyone knows that there hasn't been a single case where someone breaks in with the intention of committing acts of violence against one of the occupants has harmed as much as a single hair on any of the other occupants.

Right?

The sarcasm in this one is so strong I actually can't tell what you're trying to say here.

There is no constitutional issue, as the roommates are not a government entity.

I agree the roommates that did the searching were in the wrong in that action, they should have just asked instead of invading the privacy of their roommate.

The terms of the contract for their roommate/rental agreement should dictate what is allowed and what is not. If something is not specified in the contract it is appropriate to ask someone to change their behavior if it is found to make one party uncomfortable, but they don't necessarily have to oblige based on the nature of the contract. In this case, the apartment owner decided the best action was to ask the tenant to leave. There is some merit to this, as now we had a group of people living in the same unit that were all uncomfortable with each other, this will likely lead to problems down the line (ie: one of the roommates stealing and disposing of the gun due to their discomfort). The apartment owner probably saw this action as a way to avoid future conflict, but may have done better by offering the tenant room in another apartment they owned.

Whether or not someone having a gun in the home you live in is a personal matter. Just as someone is allowed to have a gun as per the 2nd amendment, someone is also allowed to request that one not be kept around them (though usually you cannot force them to not do so). I'll also say that all parties involved are missing an opportunity for both sides to learn about the issue of gun ownership. The person that owned the gun may have been able to better understand the perceived risks of owning guns while the people that are afraid of guns may have learned they're not as scary as some would make you think if handled properly.

My sarcasm meter just exploded.

Those roommates crossed a line in going through her stuff. The Alabama lady is better off without them.

They really should of had Doctor Sheldon Cooper write up their roommate agreement. All this would have been avoided.

My sarcasm meter just exploded.

Those roommates crossed a line in going through her stuff. The Alabama lady is better off without them.

That's the point I made in the other thread.

I'da slapped the **** out of them, on the way out the door.

I feel like it should be illegal to go through an adult, rent paying roommate’s private room like that.

I feel like it should be illegal to go through an adult, rent paying roommate’s private room like that.

Assuming that it was not a shared space, it could very well be illegal. Especially since the roommates apparently invited a representative of the apartment management agency and others to check them out. (According to the young lady in the article, six people had been in her belongings). The apartment management even asked the police department to inspect the weapons (she did consent).

She should be very upset with the leasing agency in general -- it sounds like they became way too involved, and threatened her that if she didn't move out, the roommates would, and she would be held responsible for the entire rent.

It actually may be. Depends on the terms of their contract. There's probably enough justification for a civil law suit here at least.

It actually may be. Depends on the terms of their contract. There's probably enough justification for a civil law suit here at least.

Possibly but the costs would outweigh the settlement, or be close enough to not be worth it. Is it worth the time and effort and $? You'd still have a chance of losing (court/lawyer costs) and how much could damages be? No property was damaged, no physical harm. I'm just guessing here but would think that damages wouldnt be much.

I think we always want there to be an 'adult, legal' means to punish people that act badly but the fact is, that's not always possible.

People lie, cheat, are cruel, invade privacy, express harmful opinions, etc etc etc and it's not always something that crosses a legal line.

Possibly but the costs would outweigh the settlement, or be close enough to not be worth it. Is it worth the time and effort and $? You'd still have a chance of losing (court/lawyer costs) and how much could damages be? No property was damaged, no physical harm. I'm just guessing here but would think that damages wouldnt be much.

That's another case where it depends. The roommates... not worth it. The apartment management who apparently participated and strong armed her into leaving is another matter. That's especially an issue given her history as a victim of domestic violence.

That's another case where it depends. The roommates... not worth it. The apartment management who apparently participated and strong armed her into leaving is another matter. That's especially an issue given her history as a victim of domestic violence.

Perhaps. But I see it more punitive and if that makes the victim feel better, that's up to her.

But IMO the $$ would not be worth it on its own.

With room mates like that, she is smart to own a gun.

From FOX News

A Harvard graduate student was told she has to move out of her apartment after her roommates found her legally owned firearms “uncomfortable” and anxiety-inducing.

Leyla Pirnie, a 24-year-old Alabama native, told the Washington Free Beacon that she felt roommates violated her privacy after searching her room without her consent and then confronting her over gun ownership.

“When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

I can hardly wait to hear the howls of outrage over the "unconstitutional search" and "attempted violation of Second Amendment rights".

I mean, after all, just because your roommate's behaviour is unacceptable to you that doesn't mean that you have any right to ask them to leave - regardless of how you found out about the behaviour.

And, naturally, this woman's roommates have absolutely no right to know that she believes that she has reasonable grounds to believe that someone might break into the apartment and commit acts of violence.

And, of course, everyone knows that there hasn't been a single case where someone breaks in with the intention of committing acts of violence against one of the occupants has harmed as much as a single hair on any of the other occupants.

Right?

Considering the danger they were put in without their consent I think the reaction was justified. Merely having a gun on the premises greatly increases the chances of suicide and murder.

There’s roughly one gun for every person in America
Gun crime is more prevalent in the US than in other rich countries
Gun homicides (like all homicides) are down from the 1980s/1990s
Places with more guns have more homicides
There are more gun suicides than gun homicides in America
Suicide is more common in places with more guns
Guns contribute to domestic violence
Mass shootings represent a tiny share of all shooting deaths
A tiny fraction of gun violence is committed by the mentally ill
Gun control is generally popular

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/1/18000520/gun-risk-death

Why should her roommates risk being involved in a shootout with a perpetrator of "domestic violence"? If she feels the need to have a gun for protection she should have told them from the beginning. She is asking that they take a untenable risk of death.

From FOX News

Right?

?

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Why would a trump supporter with guns slap when they could just shoot them? C'mon - its been a few days since we've had a trump supporter murder someone who they disagree with.

She claims to be a victim of domestic violence but supports the ***** grabbing trump? Sexually assaulting a woman is a violent act.

I don't believe her story.

The room mates are better off without the dangerous b*****.

She is certainly better off without room mates that she cannot trust. They invaded her privacy and I wonder what the reaction would be if she decided to go into their rooms and go through their belongings. I hope she moves in with people that understand the term privacy.

From FOX News

Right?
How about we just label her roommates as brainwashed LW dupes? All that other imaginary stuff is just your typical mindless LW bull****.

Assuming that it was not a shared space, it could very well be illegal. Especially since the roommates apparently invited a representative of the apartment management agency and others to check them out. (According to the young lady in the article, six people had been in her belongings). The apartment management even asked the police department to inspect the weapons (she did consent).

She should be very upset with the leasing agency in general -- it sounds like they became way too involved, and threatened her that if she didn't move out, the roommates would, and she would be held responsible for the entire rent.

I think we always want there to be an 'adult, legal' means to punish people that act badly but the fact is, that's not always possible.

People lie, cheat, are cruel, invade privacy, express harmful opinions, etc etc etc and it's not always something that crosses a legal line.

I agree there is probably grounds for civil action but it may not be worth it as students don’t typically have much money.

But as for it crossing a legal line wouldn’t it be criminal trespass, breaking and entering, or something like that, assuming she had a private room?

It may very well be. But I doubt she would want to press it.

I agree there is probably grounds for civil action but it may not be worth it as students don’t typically have much money.

But as for it crossing a legal line wouldn’t it be criminal trespass, breaking and entering, or something like that, assuming she had a private room?
Rental agreements don't normally carry clauses about roommates entering each other's rooms. That may be a state by state thing though. I dont believe you can sue someone for going into a room you're renting from them or a room in a house you're both renting. It would get really messy in courts. Verbal agreements etc, that one time they spoke in the kitchen but only 1 of 3 remembers would be problematic to any court.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Why would a trump supporter with guns slap when they could just shoot them? C'mon - its been a few days since we've had a trump supporter murder someone who they disagree with.

That's most idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom