• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable

Why should her roommates risk being involved in a shootout with a perpetrator of "domestic violence"? If she feels the need to have a gun for protection she should have told them from the beginning. She is asking that they take a untenable risk of death.

Awesome! Blame the victim! Shame the victim!

She very well could have had a conversation with the roommates - it doesn't say. But the place to start would have been the roommates asking, not sending her emails or bringing the landlord into her room. And again, the apartment management had no business getting so involved. (Which was the point of my post).

From FOX News

Harvard grad student told to move out after roommates find her legally owned firearms 'uncomfortable

A Harvard graduate student was told she has to move out of her apartment after her roommates found her legally owned firearms “uncomfortable” and anxiety-inducing.

Leyla Pirnie, a 24-year-old Alabama native, told the Washington Free Beacon that she felt roommates violated her privacy after searching her room without her consent and then confronting her over gun ownership.

“When I asked them why they were in my room to begin with, they each came up with completely contradicting stories (none of which made any sense), but one comment struck me in particular: ‘We saw that you had a MAGA hat and, come on, you're from Alabama… so we just kind of assumed that you had something,'” she said.

“I asked why they didn't just call me and ask me before intruding. One of the girls responded that fear took over her body and she felt compelled to search my room until she found proof. … I cannot make this up.”

COMMENT:-

I can hardly wait to hear the howls of outrage over the "unconstitutional search" and "attempted violation of Second Amendment rights".

I mean, after all, just because your roommate's behaviour is unacceptable to you that doesn't mean that you have any right to ask them to leave - regardless of how you found out about the behaviour.

And, naturally, this woman's roommates have absolutely no right to know that she believes that she has reasonable grounds to believe that someone might break into the apartment and commit acts of violence.

And, of course, everyone knows that there hasn't been a single case where someone breaks in with the intention of committing acts of violence against one of the occupants has harmed as much as a single hair on any of the other occupants.

Right?
I'm not sure how the law applies here.

On the one hand it's not right that they searched her room like that, but I'm unsure if any law applies which would punish them for doing so, as they are not law enforcement.
Not sure how "unreasonable search and seizure" applies.

The 2nd amendment doesn't come into it though, since they aren't preventing her from having a firearm, they just don't want to live with a roommate who does.

If one of the roommates is actually claiming fear compelled her to search the roommates room, that's utter bull****, however.

What a piece of crap statement to make.

"Merely having a gun on the premises greatly increases the chances of suicide and murder"

You don't like it because it is true and you don't like be reminded about it. The data is quite clear and indisputable.

Tragically, a record number of Americans subscribe to some version of this mythology, with 63 percent (67 percent of men polled and 58 percent of women) believing that guns truly do make them safer. The public’s confidence in firearms, however, is woefully misguided: The evidence overwhelmingly shows that guns leave everybody less safe, including their owners.
A study from October 2013 analyzed data from 27 developed nations to examine the impact of firearm prevalence on the mortality rate. It found an extremely strong direct relationship between the number of firearms and firearm deaths. The paper concludes: “The current study debunks the widely quoted hypothesis that guns make a nation safer.” This finding is bolstered by several previous studies that have revealed a significant link between gun ownership and firearm-related deaths. This international comparison is especially harrowing for women and children, who die from gun violence in America at far higher rates than in other countries.

Behind such horrifying statistics are numerous heartbreaking tragedies, such as Zina Daniel, a woman from Illinois who was killed by her abusive ex-husband, or Caroline Sparks, who was only 2 when her 5-year-old brother accidentally killed her with his Crickett rifle.

If we examine data from within the United States, the odds aren’t any better for gun owners. The most recent study examining the relationship between firearms and homicide rates on a state level, published last April, found a significant positive relationship between gun ownership and overall homicide levels. Using data from 1981–2010 and the best firearm ownership proxy to date, the study found that for every 1 percent increase in gun ownership, there was a 1.1 percent increase in the firearm homicide rate and a 0.7 percent increase in the total homicide rate. This was after controlling for factors such as poverty, unemployment, income inequality, alcohol consumption, and nonhomicide violent crime. Further, the firearm ownership rate had no statistically significant impact on nonfirearm homicides, meaning there was no detectable substitution effect. That is, in the absence of guns, would-be criminals are not switching to knives or some other weapons to carry out homicide. These results are supported by a host of previous studies that illustrate that guns increase the rate of homicides.

https://slate.com/technology/2015/01/good-guy-with-a-gun-myth-guns-increase-the-risk-of-homicide-accidents-suicide.html

Rental agreements don't normally carry clauses about roommates entering each other's rooms. That may be a state by state thing though. I dont believe you can sue someone for going into a room you're renting from them or a room in a house you're both renting. It would get really messy in courts. Verbal agreements etc, that one time they spoke in the kitchen but only 1 of 3 remembers would be problematic to any court.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

I don't think trespass would be an issue for the roommates, but the apartment management is different. They had no business looking in the woman's room, and to wherever the weapons were stored, even if the roommates were showing them.

I don't think trespass would be an issue for the roommates, but the apartment management is different. They had no business looking in the woman's room, and to wherever the weapons were stored, even if the roommates were showing them.
If they were invited in by roommates how are courts supposed to rule?

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Awesome! Blame the victim! Shame the victim!

She very well could have had a conversation with the roommates - it doesn't say. But the place to start would have been the roommates asking, not sending her emails or bringing the landlord into her room. And again, the apartment management had no business getting so involved. (Which was the point of my post).

The victims here are the roommates who have been subjected to an increased risk of death because of the presence of firearms in their domicile. They have the right to their own safety.

Why would a trump supporter with guns slap when they could just shoot them? C'mon - its been a few days since we've had a trump supporter murder someone who they disagree with.
Because murder is bad, m'kay?

And most Trump supports know that.

I've owned guns for over 40 years and none of them has killed a person.

Good for you. That does not change the data that says that you are at increased risk of suicide or murder though. You are like a 50 year tobacco smoker who doesn't have lung cancer.....yet. Does that mean cigarettes are not dangerous?

My sarcasm meter just exploded.

Those roommates crossed a line in going through her stuff. The Alabama lady is better off without them.

Her roommates are better without her because that is the kind of thing that should have voluntarily divulged to them from the start.

I agree there is probably grounds for civil action but it may not be worth it as students don’t typically have much money.

But as for it crossing a legal line wouldn’t it be criminal trespass, breaking and entering, or something like that, assuming she had a private room?

She did not have a private room. The apt was rented by all four, collectively. All of their names were on the lease so they all have access to the entire apt.

I do not see any grounds for a civil suit

The landlord did not look or go into the womans room. They asked the police to check and make sure she was in compliance with all local gun laws, and she agreed to cooperate

Her roommates are better without her because that is the kind of thing that should have voluntarily divulged to them from the start.

It's none of their business.

I would not get into such a situation to begin with by doing what I have always done - rent my own apt

If you're scared, say you're scared.

She claims to be a victim of domestic violence but supports the ***** grabbing trump? Sexually assaulting a woman is a violent act.

I don't believe her story.

The room mates are better off without the dangerous b*****.
For the umpteenth time, his statement was that of consent. "They let you do it."

Why should her roommates risk being involved in a shootout with a perpetrator of "domestic violence"? If she feels the need to have a gun for protection she should have told them from the beginning. She is asking that they take a untenable risk of death.

Why should she have to tell her roommates of something that is ger constitutional right and perfectly legal to own?

Back
Top Bottom