• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harry Reid's seat not such an easy grab?

Deuce

Outer space potato man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Harry Reid has been on the top of the GOP's hit list for some time now. Between being a higher-up in the Democratic party and being very unpopular in his state, the GOP has put a lot of effort into unseating Reid, and it seemed like it would be an easy win.

The primary got interesting. The frontrunner WAS Crazy Chicken Lady. The one who thought we should barter with our doctors. That little revelation didn't help her so much.

Winning the primary was this gem of a woman:
Wonkette : Sharron Angle’s Campaign Calls Reporter ‘Idiot’ For Quoting Her Website

She's getting quoted from her own website but responds about Harry Reid putting words in her mouth. I mean, some people want to privatize social security and eliminate the EPA. I think that's an absurd idea, but hey, we all have our opinions. What I think is going to kill her is the fact that she flipped out and went into conspiracy theory mode when questioned about her own damned official website, instead of sticking by her own words.

Plus, when I googled her name to try and find more info on this altercation of hers, I found another article about some sort of alleged link to Scientology. To be fair, that link appears to be tenuous at best.

I haven't seen any poll numbers of her vs. Reid, though.

Last edited:
DeNile. It's where you live Deuce. H. Reid, will be unemployed come Nov.

i wish you were right, so we could get rid of that crook
but your party selected a near unelectable kook to run in opposition
all you needed for the win was someone with a modicum of sanity

I think all the GOP had to do to make this an easy win was run a pretty standard conservative who WASN'T A NUTCASE.

They failed to do that. Now they have a fight on their hands. I'm not saying Reid has it in the bag, just that now it's a match to watch.

Sharron Angle is a wackadoodle. She's not quite in the Michelle Bachmann class but she's crazy enough to make the voters take notice. Reid has reason to be thankful.

I'll take her over Harry any day.

Which is really a good representation of the depths politics has sunk to in this country. People are so messed up and pissed off over the status quo that they're turning to people who should be in some sort of institution.

Sure "you" will but, will the people of Nevada?

Harry will still be in his seat come 2011.

The Repubs combined with the Tea Baggers (God that's an hilarious picture!) will cause the Dems to hold onto many more seats this off year election than anyone expected. :mrgreen:

This was a race for the GOP to lose, but then they got taken over by the tea party extremists. The Democrats in Nevada were thrilled when she won the primary -- that should tell you something.

She'll be ahead in the polls for a while because she's a new face, but her numbers will start dwindling soon.

Mind you, I'm no huge Harry Reid fan... there are many other Senators I'd love to see as Majority Leader ... but I'd take him over her any day.

Jesus the chance the GOP gets to take Reid out of power and they put up this chick. I mean really the GOP could have found a Scott Brown in Nevada right? I mean there HAS to be some one better than her. God I hope the selection between dumber and dumber doesn't last much longer.

I go to Nevada fairly often (I live somewhat next door in Southern California) and anyone who says that this Angle person is DOA, you need to realize just how deep the hate for Reid goes in the state. If he had a chance at winning, at all, then undoubtedly a Scott Brown would've been put forward. However, this is a once-in-a-generation opportunity for those elephant lovers to bring Nevada from a center-right state with leftists tendencies strongly and decisively into Utah-esque rightism.

I agree, the link to Scientology is tenuous at best, but she has some other positions that could cause her some trouble.

Many of her positions — she favors the privatization of Medicare and Social Security,

Nevada Challenger Lifted by Tea Party Ardor - NYTimes.com

Trying to privatize Social Security was a loser for Bush and given the financial crisis of 2008, the chances are worse. To support it now? Angle doesn't seem to be up on current events.

But take, for example, her vocal applause over the U.S. Supreme Court’s 6-3 decision on medicinal marijuana. The high court ruled doctors can be blocked from prescribing marijuana for patients suffering from pain caused by cancer or other serious illnesses. The decision means that federal anti-drug laws trump state laws that allow the use of medical marijuana. Over a dozen states have such laws, including Nevada.

Angle directed her opinion to the fact that marijuana is an illegal substance and she cannot support anything that is illegal. Furthermore, the decision reinforces what was always true in the first place with Nevada’s law allowing marijuana use for medical purposes — no state law protects marijuana-toking Americans.

“My greatest problem with marijuana is that it’s illegal, which gives Nevadans a false sense of security in this whole thing,” Angle said. “If the DEA has the manpower and wanted to go after this, there is no place in Nevada state law that can protect people because federal law supersedes state law.”

Her opinion, though, ignores states’ rights and individual freedom. Also, Angle’s faith quickly surfaced, extinguishing her argument that she disapproves of medical marijuana primarily on the elementary premise that it’s illegal.

“I would tell you that I have the same feelings about legalizing marijuana, not medical marijuana, but just legalizing marijuana,” Angle offered. “I feel the same about legalizing alcohol.

“The effect on society is so great that I’m just not a real proponent of legalizing any drug or encouraging any drug abuse,” she continued. “I’m elected by the people to protect, and I think that law should protect.”

So how far should government go in legislating morality? Angle believes there’s no way around it. Each and every lawmaker, from city councils to the president’s office, brings their moral convictions to the legislative table. In one way or another, from business practices to war, morals are going to be influenced and legislated.

“I don’t think you can get away from that; people just make value judgments,” she said. “We’re not a neutral society. Politics, especially, are not neutral and no one can come to the table value-less or moral-less.

“I have a very well-developed sense of right and wrong,” she continued, “so I would say to you that it’s not a political thing with me, but a character thing.”

A New Angle on Giving Harry Reid the Boot: Sharon Angle | Republican Majority Campaign PAC

She lacks alignment with the basic "States rights" position of conservatives/Tea Party/Libertarians when she defers to federal law with regard to pot. She's also on some shifty ground with Libertarians on legislating morality as well.

I cannot see her getting very far with her views on alcohol in a state that makes so much money from it and it seems to be a bit at odds with allowing gambling. I think anyway.

The more LIBERAL and LEFT wingers that post how HORRIBLE the GOP Candidate it, the more I believe old Reid's days are well and truly numbered.

The more LIBERAL and LEFT wingers that post how HORRIBLE the GOP Candidate it, the more I believe old Reid's days are well and truly numbered.

Which is why the GOP will lose this seat. It's been hijacked by the far right who mistakenly think that everyone agrees with them.

The votes are in the middle. A candidate that veers too far to the left or right hurts their chances of winning (except in certain districts).

Which is really a good representation of the depths politics has sunk to in this country. People are so messed up and pissed off over the status quo that they're turning to people who should be in some sort of institution.

Crazy, no-name, freshmen senator > crazy asshole, senior senator. I don't care about miss crazy, but I do want Harry out.

She lacks alignment with the basic "States rights" position of conservatives/Tea Party/Libertarians when she defers to federal law with regard to pot. She's also on some shifty ground with Libertarians on legislating morality as well.

I cannot see her getting very far with her views on alcohol in a state that makes so much money from it and it seems to be a bit at odds with allowing gambling. I think anyway.

It's very easy to see -- one step out of hell and closer to escaping is better than none. Angle represents that and I think given Harry's history we'll finally see him out of work for the Congress.

Crazy, no-name, freshmen senator > crazy asshole, senior senator. I don't care about miss crazy, but I do want Harry out.

So you agree with a platform of eliminating the EPA, social security, and withdrawing from the UN?
edit: And something about giving massages to prisoners.

edit:
"If this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking towards those Second Amendment remedies."

Last edited:
See, this theme fo the GOP Candidate being a wack job pick forced by the Tea Party is just spin trying to label any conservative as an Extremist, or a wack-job.

So you agree with a platform of eliminating the EPA, social security, and withdrawing from the UN?

Replacing the EPA, eliminating Social Security and withdraw from the U.N. Absolutely. As with anything it depends on how it's done. I'm disappointed that she doesn't want to remove the Dept. of Ed as well. Remember --- John Jay, Paine, Henry, Sam Adams... all whacko's of their day and I'm not saying she's of that caliber by any means --- just saying.

So wait. She wants to privatize SS and Medicare and a bunch of other stuff. This apparently makes her crazy and unelectable.
So the debt/deficit is the big political issue right now, and Republicans are trying to portray themselves as the party that'll fix it. And now they're considered crazy extremists for nominating a woman who... wants to actually take steps to solve the problems that created the debt instead of just talk about how much she hates it for political points while avoiding giving ways to actually fix it? Which is what killed the GOP in the first place?

Anyways. I find it pretty hard to believe that Harry Reid will win even against her.

See, this theme fo the GOP Candidate being a wack job pick forced by the Tea Party is just spin trying to label any conservative as an Extremist, or a wack-job.

......to deflect from the radical, extremist progressive / leftist ideologues that duped dull eyed liberals, moderates and centrist into installing them into postions of power.

Last edited:

edit:
"If this Congress keeps going the way it is, people are really looking towards those Second Amendment remedies."

EPA: I'm not against all environmental regulations. i.e. I think that it's ok for Uncle Sam to make sure you don't dump a crap load of carcinogens into the drinking water from your factory, but I do think that it has too much power.

SS: The system is nothing more than a glorified ponzi scheme, privatize it.

UN: I'm not opposed to staying in. The UN is deeply flawed, but it's essentially better than nothing sometimes.

Also, I don't see where you thought I liked her. I called her, "Miss Crazy." What I was saying that even if she is a bit out there, but she can't do much damage as a freshmen senator and will probably be out in a term if she's that bad. Meanwhile, Harry Reid has far more influence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom