• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harry Potter - Spawn of Satan?

This is hysterical. Does anyone see the irony in Quertol's picture?

It's YODA! The wise little green "Wizard" from Star Wars who wields an invisible force to fight evil in an epic galactic war.

The Force...is an energy field created by all living things (Witchcraft, Quertol?)...it surrounds us and binds us (God, Quertol?)

Some people would consider the Force to be a fictionalized religion. Quertol...do you think George Lucas actually believes he can move objects around using this invisible force? And if so...what was George Lucas's ultimate intention in creating Star Wars? Was it to brainwash children and adults alike to believe in this fictionalized occult?

Well if that was his intention...then bravo George, you've got at least one follower.

Quertol is practicing Idolotry with a picture of YODA as he/she spouts her unthinking crap about a world she doesn't understand.

**To everyone else (Not you Quertol)...
Arguing with someone like Quertol is like trying to talk a schizophrenic about of being insane. It won't happen. They will talk and talk and talk continuously, coming up with new and amazing ways to explain the fallicies of their thoughts and beliefs. There will be no logic mind you, none, but it will be interesting.

schiz·o·phre·ni·a
Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Schizophrenia is associated with dopamine imbalances in the brain and defects of the frontal lobe and is caused by genetic, other biological, and psychosocial factors.

schiz·o·phren·ic
n. One who is affected with schizophrenia. (See also Quertol)

-WiseRufus ;)

Last edited:
Quertol said:
It has yet to be proven that the bible is false... In any aspect...

And will never be proven to be true. Accept it and move on.

WiseRufus said:
schiz·o·phren·ic
n. One who is affected with schizophrenia. (See also Quertol)

-WiseRufus ;)

:2funny: Welcome, wise one! :2wave:

Naughty Nurse said:
And will never be proven to be true. Accept it and move on.

Much of the Bible has already been proven...

Nothing has been disproven...

Holy Cow! I start a thread and leave for a couple of days, only to find on my return that I have sparked WWIV.

So let's recap. We are on page six of responses to my question. Of those six pages, two consist of one sentence personal sniping back and forth. Two pages contain an argument about the veracity of the virgin birth. Two pages contain a re-match of the Protestant Reformation. We have three or four actual posts about the subject at hand.

So on that note, I am going to drift from the subject before I make my own comments on the Harry Potter books. I am regularly amused at the base hypocrisy of some people, especially those who enjoy showing their contempt for people of faith. Let's take two statements as an example:

Urethra Franklin said:
Far more dangerous is the bible, which is often pushed on children as fact. That is dangerous, and extremely evil.

Good thing we have you to look out for us.

Urethra Franklin said:
Confused christians squabbling amongst themselves, not knowing which fairy story to take more seriously. How can the rest of us trust what they say?

Is someone asking you to trust them? I honestly couldn't care less what you think of Christianity, the Bible, Christians, or myself. Here is a good yardstick you can use. Calculate how much you care what the Christian world thinks of you. Multiply this number by zero. This will give you an approximation of the average level of care evidenced by the average Christian over your hatred of them.

The really ironic thing is, in almost every case the hypocrite in question believes themselves to be tolerant, open-minded, compassionate, and critically-thinking. It would seem to be par for the course for a Christian to be intolerant of the beliefs of others, as that is how we are gleefully stereotyped (one of the few stereotypes that is not only allowed in liberal thought, it is encouraged). The irony enters when one of these wonderful paragons of tolerance and open-mindedness shows off their true colours (as they usually do less than five minutes into any conversation). It is then that you realize that they are just as intolerant, just as close-minded, just as hate-filled as those evil Christians that they rail against.

Ok, that was a big mental bowel movement off my chest...

I recently finished the Harry Potter series for the fourth time. I will soon finish the series on audiobook for the fourth time as well (by the way, Jim Dale does a wonderful job reading the audiobooks). My copy of HBP has been on reserve for over three months, and I am eagerly awaiting it's release. I am 31 years old and the Harry Potter series is one of the best stories I have ever read (and I read 2-3 books a week). It is a wonderful story about man's struggle against absolute evil. I do not see how a normally adjusted child could be affected by (what are to me) fairly harmless depictions of magic. As with most things like this which are accused of harming a child's mind, if your child is profoundly affected by reading Harry Potter then the chances are excellent that your child had pretty serious problems already.

The other criticism that I often hear (which makes even less sense to me) is that Harry Potter leads children to some make-believe world that is preferable to their own. Isn't that what good fiction is supposed to do? What would be the joy of a story if it didn't inspire you to place yourself within the story? Why would anyone want to read a story about someone whose life is less interesting than their own?

But in the end it all comes down to the same thing. This is America. J.K. Rowling is free to publish her books. Tim LeHay is free to publish his books (which to me are far more harmful and contain even less biblical truth than Harry Potter). We are all free to read both, either, or neither of them. I personally chose to read both. You are free to decide what you or your children will read. You are not free to decide what my children will or will not read. Also Urethra, no matter how dangerous and evil you may find what I teach my children, you do not have the right to dictate what moral or philosophical teachings I decide to "push" on them.

CONSTANT VIGILANCE!

Last edited:
good post walrus

Quertol said:
I have no malice to seeing some one do well. I do have a problem with a Satanist writing a book that is made specifically to entice children into certain behaviors that are intolerable. I don't like quite a few books, including those written by Rowling...

As far as the Bible being more dangerous, how is that? Give some examples of empirical proof that the bible is wrong in any way. Show me what you are talking about...

well not that im saying the bible is evil, but there are parts where it says you can sell your daughter into slavery and stone your neighbor to death if he works on the sabbath (while simulatneously saying "shalt not kill") and also that a man shall be put to death if he sleeps in the same bed a woman has had her period in.

Just something to think about......

And the bible is written as truth not fiction like Harry potter

Quertol said:
Hard to imagine eh?

It is just a story, but how about all these impressionable young minds... There is more between the lines than just a story, thats all I'm saying...

We need to give Kids a bit more credit. It's like the argument about Having a gay teacher. Teach kids to be gay. Ridiculous.

Quertol said:
I have no malice to seeing some one do well. I do have a problem with a Satanist writing a book that is made specifically to entice children into certain behaviors that are intolerable. I don't like quite a few books, including those written by Rowling...

While I'm not in love with the Potter series - I don't think Rowling is a Satanist.

I do feel that the books blur the lines and make the occult seem "attractive". I think the Steven King quote I posted before put me off the HP series as much as anything - because I do find a definite "evil" in King's books.

BTW - there's a great radio show that I listen to on a regular basis, The White Horse Inn - http://www.whitehorseinn.org/ (follow the links to hear the broadcast). They air weekly - with a new show every Sunday. The June 26th topic is "Should Christians Read Harry Potter?" From what I've heard in advance about that show, they take a pro-Harry Potter stance. Since I've met a couple of the hosts, and truly respect their opinions, I'm thinking I may need to look at the books again and re-examine my views. While I don't think I'll ever advocate the books, I may actually moderate my perspective somewhat. And I still don't think they're very well written, but oh well. :smile:

walrus said:
But in the end it all comes down to the same thing. This is America. J.K. Rowling is free to publish her books. Tim LeHay is free to publish his books (which to me are far more harmful and contain even less biblical truth than Harry Potter).

Walrus - even though I'm no fan of Harry Potter, I couldn't agree with you more about the "Left Behind" series - extremely loose Biblical interpretation and unsound theology, yet many people take them as gospel. Not very good "story telling" either, Tim LeHaye & Jerry Jenkins have taken 9 - 10 books (can't remember the exact number) to tell a story that should have fit into a single volume. I read a couple because a friend had recommended them - they were boring (and INMSHO - bad plot & poorly written).

I liked Jerry Jenkins better when he wrote "Gil Thorpe".

Outside of the theological differences I have with the "Left Behind" series (which are legion) the fact is they are simply very poorly written books. The characters are shallow, cliched, uninteresting and thoroughly unbelievable. The books themselves are written on about a fifth grade reading level. Only due to the fact that they are about what to me is an interesting subject (the end of the world) was I able to hold interest for the first three books.

Say what you will about Harry Potter, they are marvelously written books. They are certainly not written at a fifth grade level. Rowling is, in my opinion, in the same league as Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl. I wish that more people who are so set against them would actually take the time to read them (and get to at least book 4, that's when they get really good).

walrus said:
Outside of the theological differences I have with the "Left Behind" series (which are legion) the fact is they are simply very poorly written books. The characters are shallow, cliched, uninteresting and thoroughly unbelievable. The books themselves are written on about a fifth grade reading level. Only due to the fact that they are about what to me is an interesting subject (the end of the world) was I able to hold interest for the first three books.

Say what you will about Harry Potter, they are marvelously written books. They are certainly not written at a fifth grade level. Rowling is, in my opinion, in the same league as Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl. I wish that more people who are so set against them would actually take the time to read them (and get to at least book 4, that's when they get really good).

Our view of "Left Behind" seems to be identical.

I don't think that HP is that well written, but that's just my opinion. I agree, that the books are not written at a 5th grade level. In fact, Rowling seems to be writing to an increasingly older audience. As Harry ages, so does her target audience.

Without question, Lewis Carroll and Roald Dahl were great writers. And talk about scary books - "James and the Giant Peach" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" had some darn scary parts to them. Not bedtime reading for the young or faint of heart.

Bigbird said:
well not that im saying the bible is evil, but there are parts where it says you can sell your daughter into slavery and stone your neighbor to death if he works on the sabbath (while simulatneously saying "shalt not kill") and also that a man shall be put to death if he sleeps in the same bed a woman has had her period in.

Just something to think about......

And the bible is written as truth not fiction like Harry potter

Many of the Bible stories are very violent. After David knocks out Goliath, he beheads him. Just think of the violence before and during the Jews flight from Egypt. In addition, much of these details are at least mentioned in children's Bibles. I STILL remember being deeply troubled by the pictures of the Red Sea closing in on Pharaoh's chariots (I was very disturbed the God would drown the innocent horses pulling the chariots :lol: ). I also remember being bothered by the fact that the first borns were killed, even if they had done nothing wrong (I myself am a first born and even at that age realized that I would have been one of the children killed). In fact, my mother stopped reading the children's Bible to me because there were so many questions I asked her that she just could not answer.

Fu_chick said:
Many of the Bible stories are very violent. After David knocks out Goliath, he beheads him. Just think of the violence before and during the Jews flight from Egypt. In addition, much of these details are at least mentioned in children's Bibles. I STILL remember being deeply troubled by the pictures of the Red Sea closing in on Pharaoh's chariots (I was very disturbed the God would drown the innocent horses pulling the chariots :lol: ). I also remember being bothered by the fact that the first borns were killed, even if they had done nothing wrong (I myself am a first born and even at that age realized that I would have been one of the children killed). In fact, my mother stopped reading the children's Bible to me because there were so many questions I asked her that she just could not answer.

While I'm a Christian who regularly reads the Bible, and read it to my children as they were growing up - I do think we need to be discerning about when we start to read some of the Bible stories to them. You're right - some of the images are quite scary - and not for young ears.

Harry Potter and the Bible aside - scariest kid's movie out there - "The Wizard of Oz." I can't tell you how many nightmares I had over those darn flying monkeys! Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" is right up there too. On top of being just plain scary - it gave stepmoms a bad name.

Fu_chick said:

History is full of violence... DO you not read and study it?

Urethra Franklin said:
Most of it committed in the name of religion.

I agree, a lot of violence has been committed in the "name" of religion. Not that the religion condoned it...

Quertol said:
I agree, a lot of violence has been committed in the "name" of religion. Not that the religion condoned it...

Religion doesn't Condone Judging anyone either, but its done all the time.

Bigbird said:
Religion doesn't Condone Judging anyone either, but its done all the time.

You don't understand the scriptures... Who can judge another man's sins, except God?

We can know and say however what is sin...

Quertol said:
You don't understand the scriptures... Who can judge another man's sins, except God?

We can know and say however what is sin...

Are you seriously going to take that lame cop out answer of i don't understand the scriptures?

There is a lot of contradictory information in the bible and you CANNOT refute that. I repeat CANNOT refute that.

it says "shalt not kill" but then says to stone my neighbor if he works on the sabbath. or to put the death any man that has slept in the bed that a woman has had her period.

Do you understand the scriptures? and if so HOW?

So god is the only one who can judge.... yet religious people wont let Gay's get married and then be judged when they meet him ( even though thats a complete fairy tale told thousands of years ago)

Which brings me to another rant which is... I think religious people are not just holding onto their beliefs because they need to hold onto "holier then thou" attitude, but that they don't want to call their own parents, grandparents and all the rest of their family who follows the same religion... WRONG. They don't want to think they have been wasting their time all along . So holding onto their beloved fantasy that good little boys and girls get to go to heaven simply because they are BORN into a religion.

Just realize that if you were born in saudia arabia you would be spouting out the koran. You didn't choose your religion. it chose you.

Back
Top Bottom