• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harry Potter - Spawn of Satan?

It is just a story, but how about all these impressionable young minds... There is more between the lines than just a story, thats all I'm saying...

WHAT is between the lines that'll harm young minds.

My brother is 9 and read the books. I don't see him going around practicing witchcraft. Very few kids younger have the reading level for the harry potter series.

The only thing i found between the lines was the sacrifice, friendship, good vs. evil, love, and so on. Its just an f-in good story, with normal morals that you see in all other stories.

I find over religious Christians worse than hair-tearing Atheists. If you take a book of fiction and compare it to your basis of beliefs, to your religion, does that sound foolish?
I'm not sure as to why Bible-Thumpers picked to hate Harry Potter instead of other books, is it becuase a British "mum" shouldn't have wealth based on a book? Or is it because Harry Potter defines a new tier of Children Fiction, that the bible will have to over-ride in order to stay the number one best selling book?
I am a Christian, I attend a First Baptist Church in my town, but I do see faults in the bible and my own religion. 1st and foremost, these itty-bitty Children Jesus Books making out the story of David and Golaith as nothing but mere loving scene. Illustrated with bright colors and smiling faces, as Golaith is struck in the forehead with a rock and dies instantly, they forget to mention that David later cuts off the Giants head to have as a trophy. I know when I was a little kid, I read these little Christian-based Children books depicting Angels as cute and fluffy beings, yet not once is there a cute and fluffy angel in the bible.

My biggest problem, is the crucifixtion of Jesus. Throughout my entire life I've read stories of how it was a glorious moment, that it is the reason why I'm a Christan, NOT ONCE did it ever depict the scene as a melancholy event!

Jesus Baby Fiction VS Harry Potter books, Harry Potter is better.

Arch Enemy said:
I find over religious Christians worse than hair-tearing Atheists. If you take a book of fiction and compare it to your basis of beliefs, to your religion, does that sound foolish?
I'm not sure as to why Bible-Thumpers picked to hate Harry Potter instead of other books, is it becuase a British "mum" shouldn't have wealth based on a book? Or is it because Harry Potter defines a new tier of Children Fiction, that the bible will have to over-ride in order to stay the number one best selling book?
I am a Christian, I attend a First Baptist Church in my town, but I do see faults in the bible and my own religion. 1st and foremost, these itty-bitty Children Jesus Books making out the story of David and Golaith as nothing but mere loving scene. Illustrated with bright colors and smiling faces, as Golaith is struck in the forehead with a rock and dies instantly, they forget to mention that David later cuts off the Giants head to have as a trophy. I know when I was a little kid, I read these little Christian-based Children books depicting Angels as cute and fluffy beings, yet not once is there a cute and fluffy angel in the bible.

My biggest problem, is the crucifixtion of Jesus. Throughout my entire life I've read stories of how it was a glorious moment, that it is the reason why I'm a Christan, NOT ONCE did it ever depict the scene as a melancholy event!

Jesus Baby Fiction VS Harry Potter books, Harry Potter is better.

So now are you saying that it wasn't glorious that your sins can be forgiven? The bible depicts the act of crucifixtion of Christ as a horrible event in the physical, but a glorious one in the Spiritual...

It was a melancholy event in that Christ died, but he rose on the 3rd day...

Naughty Nurse said:
I'm not so keen on Harry Potter either.

BUT - it's not only fiction, it's children's fiction. Young children know it isn't real. Where did all this paraniod nonsense come from?
If young children know that mysterious things in fiction books are harmless, why are they frightened by things that adults know are harmless?

If young children know that mysterious things in fiction books are harmless, why are they frightened by things that adults know are harmless?

remember its not like 6 or 7 year olds are reading these books.

Urethra Franklin said:
It is wrong to teach children that a virgin birth is possible. It is not, period.

Historians believe Mary was a 14 year old girl raped by a Roman solidier. It's possible. She may also have been the Jerusalem bike for all we know. There are many possible explanations, but one thing is sure, that sperm didn't reach that egg without penetrative sex. Unless she was part of a lesbian self-insemination co-operative.
Mortals may speculate to their heart's content on theological mysteries. Those who follow the teachings of Rome accept the mystery of the Immaculate Conception which refers to Mary, not to Christ.

"In 1854, Pope Pius IX's solemn declaration, Ineffabilis Deus, clarified with finality the long-held belief of the Church that Mary was conceived free from original sin. In proclaiming the Immaculate Conception of Mary as a dogma of the Church, the pope expressed precisely and clearly that Mary was conceived free from the stain of original sin. This privilege of Mary derives from God's having chosen her as Mother of the Savior; thus she received the benefits of salvation in Christ from the very moment of her conception. This great gift to Mary, an ordinary human being just like us, was fitting because she was destined to be Mother of God."

The second related mystery concerns the pregnancy which terminated with the birth of Christ. Christ is God in the second Person of the Blessed Trinity. In order to fulfill the scriptures, He was to become Man, born of a woman.

The Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she was to be the Mother of God. Her response was, "Be it done unto me according to thy word." Through the power of the Holy Spirit, God in the third Person of the Blessed Trinity, Mary became with child and delivered the Christ child.

Discussions of physical appearances such as a hymen are inconsequential if one considers the power of One God in Three Divine Persons who created the entire universe.

However, those who do not follow the teachings of Rome will believe as they wish.

Fantasea said:
Mortals may speculate to their heart's content on theological mysteries. Those who follow the teachings of Rome accept the mystery of the Immaculate Conception which refers to Mary, not to Christ.

"In 1854, Pope Pius IX's solemn declaration, Ineffabilis Deus, clarified with finality the long-held belief of the Church that Mary was conceived free from original sin. In proclaiming the Immaculate Conception of Mary as a dogma of the Church, the pope expressed precisely and clearly that Mary was conceived free from the stain of original sin. This privilege of Mary derives from God's having chosen her as Mother of the Savior; thus she received the benefits of salvation in Christ from the very moment of her conception. This great gift to Mary, an ordinary human being just like us, was fitting because she was destined to be Mother of God."

The second related mystery concerns the pregnancy which terminated with the birth of Christ. Christ is God in the second Person of the Blessed Trinity. In order to fulfill the scriptures, He was to become Man, born of a woman.

The Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her that she was to be the Mother of God. Her response was, "Be it done unto me according to thy word." Through the power of the Holy Spirit, God in the third Person of the Blessed Trinity, Mary became with child and delivered the Christ child.

Discussions of physical appearances such as a hymen are inconsequential if one considers the power of One God in Three Divine Persons who created the entire universe.

However, those who do not follow the teachings of Rome will believe as they wish.

The whole concept that Mary was sinless is HOGWASH...

The bible states that there are none righteous no, not one...

and that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

How is it that Catholics pick and choose which scriptures to read?

Next you'll be telling me that she was the eternal virgin???

Read your bible!!!

Quertol said:
Read your bible!
The reading of the bible and the differing interpretations of the passages contained therein are the reasons why, in the US alone, there are more than two thousand religious groups which have the word "Christian" in their name.

All claim to be the "true church". Did any of them get it right? Which ones? How do you know?

Fantasea said:
The reading of the bible and the differing interpretations of the passages contained therein are the reasons why, in the US alone, there are more than two thousand religious groups which have the word "Christian" in their name.

All claim to be the "true church". Did any of them get it right? Which ones? How do you know?

As far as religious group, I don't know... I do know that I have a personnal relatioinship with Jesus Christ and that He has changed my life... That is all that really matters...

As far as which is right? Just find one that preaches the un-adulterated Word of God, and you'll be doing just fine...

Quertol said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasea

As far as religious group, I don't know... I do know that I have a personnal relatioinship with Jesus Christ and that He has changed my life... That is all that really matters...

As far as which is right? Just find one that preaches the un-adulterated Word of God, and you'll be doing just fine...
Isn't that what they all claim?

Quertol said:
Hard to imagine eh?

It is just a story, but how about all these impressionable young minds... There is more between the lines than just a story, thats all I'm saying...

MY GOD, it could actually cause the children to THINK. HORROR of HORRORS!

nkgupta80 said:
remember its not like 6 or 7 year olds are reading these books.

Actually children 6 & 7 & 8 are reading these books. Throughout the series the books have become progressively darker. Rowling routinely references the occult, making it seem innocent and attractive. Steven King, who routinely writes of occult and evil wrote a review of the Harry Potter books. He said, 'And if these millions of readers are awakened to the wonders and rewards of fantasy at 11 or 12 . . . well, when they get to age 16 or so, there's this guy named King.'

I'm not advocating censorship - I love to read - science fiction, history, theology, biographies, murder mysteries, stupid romance novels, the classics (i.e. Dickens, Hawthorne, Hemingway, Twain) have all been held lovingly in my hands - I'm generally reading at least 2 or 3 books at the same time. I do, however, draw the line at books that glamorize (for lack of a better word) the occult. In ~45 years of reading I can only ever remember quitting one book before I was finished, Steven King's "Salem's Lot". It struck me as so pervasively evil I decided why put those thoughts, those pictures in my head. I don't disagree with his quote that there are wonders and rewards of fantasy - I would just choose other books. How about the "Chronicles of Narnia" series by Lewis, Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series, almost anything by Isaac Asimov, heck, even Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". One thing the books on my list have over the Potter series - they're well written and I'm sorry to say the Potter books aren't. What makes me sad about that is all the folks who say at least kids are reading. I'm glad to see kids read - but I'd much rather see it a good plot and a well written book.

One other thing, I've heard people say what a good "role model" Harry is. All well and good except for he, and many other characters - including the adults, lie and break the rules in order to get ahead.

How about the "Chronicles of Narnia" series by Lewis, Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series, almost anything by Isaac Asimov, heck, even Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland".

Chronicles of Narnia has a lot of references to witches and wizards, so does Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings i'd say are much darker than any of the Harry Potter books.

Throughout the series the books have become progressively darker. Rowling routinely references the occult, making it seem innocent and attractive.

These references to the occult are at the level that classic shows like "bewitched" or disney movies. The magical references are at the level of swinging your wand around like mickey mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice Snipit in Fantasia. Magic and wizardry in that book is portrayed with no underlying references to real-life satanic cults and their rituals. Its just a world of magic and fantasy that Rowling has created, much like Lewis's Narnia or Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.

One other thing, I've heard people say what a good "role model" Harry is. All well and good except for he, and many other characters - including the adults, lie and break the rules in order to get ahead.

You see these kinda scenarios in so many stories that i don't know where to begin. Harry's like all those characteristic heroes who uncover some evil plots and must save the day using courage, intellect, and some rule-breaking.

nkgupta80 said:
Chronicles of Narnia has a lot of references to witches and wizards, so does Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings i'd say are much darker than any of the Harry Potter books.
These references to the occult are at the level that classic shows like "bewitched" or disney movies. The magical references are at the level of swinging your wand around like mickey mouse in the Sorcerer's Apprentice Snipit in Fantasia. Magic and wizardry in that book is portrayed with no underlying references to real-life satanic cults and their rituals. Its just a world of magic and fantasy that Rowling has created, much like Lewis's Narnia or Tolkein's Lord of the Rings.
You see these kinda scenarios in so many stories that i don't know where to begin. Harry's like all those characteristic heroes who uncover some evil plots and must save the day using courage, intellect, and some rule-breaking.

Except for the fact that Tolkein and Lewis were both Christians. The Narnia Chronicles were specifically written as an allegory of the life of Christ.

Rowling has acknowledged in interviews that she studied witchcraft in order to make her books more believable and accurate.

And on the idea of Harry being a hero - we'll just have to agree to disagree.

edb19 said:
Except for the fact that Tolkein and Lewis were both Christians. The Narnia Chronicles were specifically written as an allegory of the life of Christ.

Ah, so only Christians should be allowed to write books?

edb19 said:
Rowling has acknowledged in interviews that she studied witchcraft in order to make her books more believable and accurate.

It's called research. Lots of authors do it. Nothing sinister about it.

Naughty Nurse said:

I neither said, nor implied, that. I was simply (and I think obviously) making the point that the "fantasy" in the Lewis and Tolkien books had a Christian reference. I was also responding to the statement that Rowling created the world of fantasy and magic in her books - it isn't an accurate statement. I'm happy to do more research to verify my point.

much like tolkein studied the celtic and german pagan history, religions, and myths to get ideas on his creations. Doesn't mean he agrees with them. He's just borrowing their myths, stories and rituals to build on his own fantasy world. Rowling doesn't have to believe in the witchcraft to borrow from history, stories and myths that have to do with witchcraft.

So fantasy books have to be Christian allegories to be acceptable?

Her books, like countless other stories, are about good vs. evil, corruption that comes with power, sacrifice, love, friendship, trust, selflessness etc.. How do these themes deter from Christian values.

Naughty Nurse said:

But naughty, witchcraft is surely evil. My toe became ingrown, obviously a work of a witch. Let's have a witchhunt, burn them all.

I have a friend that is a witch, they are not evil, they are in fact very in one of nature. It's just another religion like Islam or Hindu.

Kay your kidding me right people actually can not be saying that harry potter is the spawn of Satan.. What the hell? If harry potter is considered the spawn of Satan, what do you think about star wars, or such... or lord of the rings.... I mean Harry Potter is jugs a matter of a young boy who just happens to be a wizard fighting for his life, I mean what the hell... Its all a matter of good over powering evil.. but I can see how pathetic close minded people would bash harry potter... harry potter is by far the best selling book in the world... it is admired by the majority of the world. and people who don't like it DON'T HAVE TO READ IT... don't punish the rest of the world by feeling little children's minds with pitiful lies.... i mean harry potter isn't the spawn of Satan.. and JK Rowling isn't a satanist.. READ HER BIO! you just automatically assume that she must be a satanist to write about witchcraft and wizardry.... just wake up.. and quit being so close minded.

liberalnproud said:
Kay your kidding me right people actually can not be saying that harry potter is the spawn of Satan.. What the hell? If harry potter is considered the spawn of Satan, what do you think about star wars, or such... or lord of the rings.... I mean Harry Potter is jugs a matter of a young boy who just happens to be a wizard fighting for his life, I mean what the hell... Its all a matter of good over powering evil.. but I can see how pathetic close minded people would bash harry potter... harry potter is by far the best selling book in the world... it is admired by the majority of the world. and people who don't like it DON'T HAVE TO READ IT... don't punish the rest of the world by feeling little children's minds with pitiful lies.... i mean harry potter isn't the spawn of Satan.. and JK Rowling isn't a satanist.. READ HER BIO! you just automatically assume that she must be a satanist to write about witchcraft and wizardry.... just wake up.. and quit being so close minded.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

Sorry to hear about your living situation.

Quertol said:

Confused christians squabbling amongst themselves, not knowing which fairy story to take more seriously. How can the rest of us trust what they say?

Quertol said:
The whole concept that Mary was sinless is HOGWASH...

The bible states that there are none righteous no, not one...

and that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God.

How is it that Catholics pick and choose which scriptures to read?

Next you'll be telling me that she was the eternal virgin?

Read your bible!

Confused christians squabbling amongst themselves, not knowing which fairy story to take more seriously. How can the rest of us trust what they say?

Urethra Franklin said:

Catholics are not Christian...

Pacridge said:
The Catholic church traces it's origins back to the time of Christ. I think they're Christian.

Ask a Catholic what they are and they will tell you that they are Catholic... Ask a Christian and they will tell you that they are Christian...
There's a big difference...

In Acts, Christian was not a title that one gave one's self, but rather what someone else called you, identifying you with Christ...

History...

Back
Top Bottom