• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harry Potter - Spawn of Satan?

walrus

Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
191
Reaction score
15
Location
Georgia
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian
With less than a month to go before the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince I was curious to know if there are any strong feelings for or against the series.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
walrus said:
With less than a month to go before the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince I was curious to know if there are any strong feelings for or against the series.
Teaching the occult to children is just plain wrong...

That woman is a satanist...
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
Teaching the occult to children is just plain wrong...

That woman is a satanist...
How is she teaching satanism? Satan isn't brought up as a character in the books. Religion isn't really brought up either. The closest is when the characters celebrate Christmas.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
shuamort said:
How is she teaching satanism? Satan isn't brought up as a character in the books. Religion isn't really brought up either. The closest is when the characters celebrate Christmas.
One does not have to mention the name of Satan to teach the lessons of that cult...
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
One does not have to mention the name of Satan to teach the lessons of that cult...
By cult, do you mean christianity?
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
No Satanism is the cult...
Oh, because Satan is a part of the christian religion, one would think that they're part and parcel of each other.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
shuamort said:
Oh, because Satan is a part of the christian religion, one would think that they're part and parcel of each other.
Satanism and Christianity are 2 completely different things. While Christians do believe in Satan, they by no means hold the same type of devotion and adoraation of him that the satanists do. In Christianity, Satan is the accuser of the people of God, in Satanism he is the object of worship.
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
Satanism and Christianity are 2 completely different things. While Christians do believe in Satan, they by no means hold the same type of devotion and adoraation of him that the satanists do. In Christianity, Satan is the accuser of the people of God, in Satanism he is the object of worship.
Of course witchcraft doesn't equal Satanism as you know. Confusing the two would be silly at best.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
shuamort said:
Of course witchcraft doesn't equal Satanism as you know. Confusing the two would be silly at best.

Of course.. However the premise that we all should do whatever we want is an entirely different matter.

Then again, witchcraft is another part of the occult... And satanists believe some of same things...
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Quertol said:
Teaching the occult to children is just plain wrong...

That woman is a satanist...

These books are sold as works as fiction. Children know it's only a story.

Far more dangerous is the bible, which is often pushed on children as fact. That is dangerous, and extremely evil.

Are you perhaps a tad jealous that JK Rowling's storytelling skills have transformed her from a poor single mum on state benefits to the richest woman in the UK? I thought United Statesians loved rags to riches stories? Isn't that the formula of Hollywood trash? Doesn't that typify the United Staesian dream, to have "made it"? Or do you get bitter when it's a European who manages to do it?
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Urethra Franklin said:
These books are sold as works as fiction. Children know it's only a story.

Far more dangerous is the bible, which is often pushed on children as fact. That is dangerous, and extremely evil.

Are you perhaps a tad jealous that JK Rowling's storytelling skills have transformed her from a poor single mum on state benefits to the richest woman in the UK? I thought United Statesians loved rags to riches stories? Isn't that the formula of Hollywood trash? Doesn't that typify the United Staesian dream, to have "made it"? Or do you get bitter when it's a European who manages to do it?
I have no malice to seeing some one do well. I do have a problem with a Satanist writing a book that is made specifically to entice children into certain behaviors that are intolerable. I don't like quite a few books, including those written by Rowling...

As far as the Bible being more dangerous, how is that? Give some examples of empirical proof that the bible is wrong in any way. Show me what you are talking about...
 

Urethra Franklin

Folle
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
3,579
Reaction score
979
Location
European Union
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Quertol said:
I have no malice to seeing some one do well. I do have a problem with a Satanist writing a book that is made specifically to entice children into certain behaviors that are intolerable. I don't like quite a few books, including those written by Rowling...

As far as the Bible being more dangerous, how is that? Give some examples of empirical proof that the bible is wrong in any way. Show me what you are talking about...

It is wrong to teach children that a virgin birth is possible. It is not, period.

Historians believe Mary was a 14 year old girl raped by a Roman solidier. It's possible. She may also have been the Jerusalem bike for all we know. There are many possible explanations, but one thing is sure, that sperm didn't reach that egg without penetrative sex. Unless she was part of a lesbian self-insemination co-operative.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
Urethra Franklin said:
It is wrong to teach children that a virgin birth is possible. It is not, period.

Historians believe Mary was a 14 year old girl raped by a Roman solidier. It's possible. She may also have been the Jerusalem bike for all we know. There are many possible explanations, but one thing is sure, that sperm didn't reach that egg without penetrative sex. Unless she was part of a lesbian self-insemination co-operative.

So your saying it is impossible?

Proof?

And which Historians have you been listening to? Try the fact that Joseph was an upstanding Jew, and that he couldn't have married her without her being a virgin...
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
And which Historians have you been listening to? Try the fact that Joseph was an upstanding Jew, and that he couldn't have married her without her being a virgin...
How do you know Joseph was an upstanding Jew (especially since this was his 2nd wife IIRC).
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
shuamort said:
How do you know Joseph was an upstanding Jew (especially since this was his 2nd wife IIRC).

Now how do you say that this was his 2nd wife? Where is the proof?
 

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Quertol said:
I have no malice to seeing some one do well. I do have a problem with a Satanist writing a book that is made specifically to entice children into certain behaviors that are intolerable. I don't like quite a few books, including those written by Rowling...

As far as the Bible being more dangerous, how is that? Give some examples of empirical proof that the bible is wrong in any way. Show me what you are talking about...
I'm not so keen on Harry Potter either.

BUT - it's not only fiction, it's children's fiction. Young children know it isn't real. Where did all this paraniod nonsense come from?
 

Fu_chick

Member
Joined
May 13, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
I think you're both wrong. I'm a Christian and I LOVE the Harry Potter series. Not only is it wonderfully written, but has gotten TONS of kids really excited about reading. IMHO Rowlings is a genius. It is not easy to have the same story appeal to both adults AND children.

It really irritates me how all these Christians are coming out saying that Harry Potter is the evil. Please--lighten up. Childhood stories and characters are full of magic. Is Santa the devil as well? It's like those nuts that refuse to let their kids trick or treat. Arrgh.
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Quertol said:
Now how do you say that this was his 2nd wife? Where is the proof?
Proof? Well, I don't believe in the bible, so calling something proof is a bit beyond me. But I can tell you that some sects of Christianity believe that Mary was a virgin all of her life. The problem arises when in Matthew 13:55

"Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?"
Jesus suddenly has siblings. The explanation is that Joseph was previously married and had offspring with that wife and not the Virgin Mary thus keeping her virginal.
 

Naughty Nurse

DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 5, 2005
Messages
1,972
Reaction score
12
Location
The UK
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
Urethra Franklin said:
These books are sold as works as fiction. Children know it's only a story.

Far more dangerous is the bible, which is often pushed on children as fact. That is dangerous, and extremely evil.
Right on! :applaud
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Here's a bit more info:
The Catholic take, however, is that the words have yet another meaning: cousins, or perhaps Joseph's children by a previous marriage. This tortured reading is necessary so as not to contradict the aforementioned doctrine of the virgin birth. Just so we're clear, the VB does not mean the Immaculate Conception, the belief that Mary was free of original sin, which was declared Catholic dogma in 1854. Virgin birth means that Mary remained a virgin despite having conceived Jesus.
 

nkgupta80

DP Veteran
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
1,720
Reaction score
59
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I'd think, Quertol, that kids would know that theres no such thing as dragons, griffins, giants, witches, wizards, or magic. The book is highly secular and doesnt have any direct religious allusions. Even its allusions to Christmas are secular, and does not bring in the direct Christian significances. As for themes such as sacrifice, love, and good's triumph over evil that are evident in her books. I don't find them much different from what Christianity teaches.
 

Quertol

Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2005
Messages
170
Reaction score
0
galenrox said:
Wait, are you dead serious that this book pisses people off? I mean, christ, there've been stories about witches and wizards as long as any of us has been alive! Sleeping beauty anyone? I mean the evil stepmother had a mirror with a dude LIVING INSIDE who could see EVERYTHING! What about the Rohl Dahl book The Witches, or the TV show Charmed, or Bewitched? Where're the protests on those?
I mean I'm far from unbiased, because I love the books, but I mean, THE HELL IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE! IT'S A ****ING STORY!

Hard to imagine eh?

It is just a story, but how about all these impressionable young minds... There is more between the lines than just a story, thats all I'm saying...
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Top Bottom